Ok, calling Chemo Chicks!!!

Options
sherria49
sherria49 Member Posts: 126
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I guess it's time for me to join!~ First appt. w/onc on Monday. I guess that's when I find out the cocktails & schedule.

I had IDC, left breast only and no node involvement. I had a bilateral mastectomy w/expanders & port placement.

Help! What do I need to ask? I've heard all the horror stories of the different cocktails and I'm down right scared!!!

Thanks & big hugzzzzzzz to all!!

Sherri

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Sherri, I had the same dx as
    Sherri, I had the same dx as you. I opted for a lumpectomy versus mastectomy. My chemo was Taxotere and Cytoxan four times every 3 weeks. I tolerated it very well. I, luckily, had limited side effects. I also received the Nuelasta shot the next day for building white blood cells. I had some bone pain from that but it was also tolerable and the pain managed with Tylenol. I think your oncologist will tell you what he/she is recommending. I don't recall that I had a choice. Her treatment was based on my type and stage. I also have 34 radiation treatments that I'm assuming you won't have. I know the fear of the unknown can be overwhelming but don't let it scare you. It's all doable and we're here to help you through the journey.
  • sherria49
    sherria49 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Sherri, I had the same dx as
    Sherri, I had the same dx as you. I opted for a lumpectomy versus mastectomy. My chemo was Taxotere and Cytoxan four times every 3 weeks. I tolerated it very well. I, luckily, had limited side effects. I also received the Nuelasta shot the next day for building white blood cells. I had some bone pain from that but it was also tolerable and the pain managed with Tylenol. I think your oncologist will tell you what he/she is recommending. I don't recall that I had a choice. Her treatment was based on my type and stage. I also have 34 radiation treatments that I'm assuming you won't have. I know the fear of the unknown can be overwhelming but don't let it scare you. It's all doable and we're here to help you through the journey.

MyTurnNow
    Thanks sooo much!! The Dr said, early Stage 1. Sounds like that might be what the game plan is for me. They orginally said possibly every 3 weeks for approx 3-5 months, but that was prior to surgery. Also, Tamoxifen for 5 yrs. They also did not anticipate radiation.

Not looking forward to it, but hopefully the last leg of this journey!!

Hugzzzzzzzzzz
  • always
    always Member Posts: 256
    Options
    sherria49 said:

MyTurnNow
    Thanks sooo much!! The Dr said, early Stage 1. Sounds like that might be what the game plan is for me. They orginally said possibly every 3 weeks for approx 3-5 months, but that was prior to surgery. Also, Tamoxifen for 5 yrs. They also did not anticipate radiation.

Not looking forward to it, but hopefully the last leg of this journey!!

Hugzzzzzzzzzz

Its a process
    Just remember its a process. It ends. It accomplishes its purpose. I am going into #2 of 4 next week. Had a few minor setbacks. But it is doable. Just hang in there and come to the boards for advise. The help comes quickly. My prayers are with you.

Becky