Having Chemo

Options
groundeffect
groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I've had trouble getting to and posting to the board, but it looks good today, so here I go!

I started chemo this past Monday (11/9) -I.V. taxol on Monday, I.P. cisplatin on Tuesday, and Monday (11/16) I had I.V. taxol. I feel pretty good right now, but the steroids will run out soon!

I have an appointment to see a surgeon to see if I can have a Mediport put in. I guess it's their decision whether to install one when there's an active wound elsewhere. I've been wearing a Wound Vac for almost three weeks now on what remains of my incision. It's a pain-like wearing a medium-sized heavy purse around 24/7! I can set it next to the bed when I sleep, but have to plug and unplug for any bathroom breaks I take during the night-not a good time for a somewhat groggy person.

My next round will start 11/23, just about the time my sister will arrive from Massachusetts for Thanksgiving. I've given her fair warning, and am willing to have her do the bulk of the cooking-that's what sisters are for, yes?

My newest doctor is a cardiologist that I met on Friday. I suffered a heart attack during the surgery, and now will have to be monitored for heart trouble. The doctor said that if he had to have a heart attack, this would be the one he'd have, so I guess it's not all bad news. He said the situation should be easy to control with drugs, and I will be attending a cardiac rehab program soon. I'd love to say good-bye to Mr. Chuckles (my affectionate name for the Wound Vac because of the noise it makes occasionally) before that starts. The tube for Chuckles is easy to cover up with a tunic, but would have to be let out to work out on a treadmill.

The Cisplatin has apparently given me a fresh sense of smell, but not in a bad way. I went to the grocery store on Friday and bought a wonderful array of fresh vegetables because they smelled so great! My taste buds seem to be appreciating fruit and vegetables, too, so it's helping me avoid the cookies I typically love to indulge in. Hot spices are especially appealing, too, so we've had a few somewhat exotic combos for meals in the past week. I hope this holds-

I'm so glad to be able to share things with my friends on this board! I don't know how many times I've mentioned to people that I use it, and that it was my first support group, whom I consulted with before actually attending a face-to-face group. Love you all!

Sue

Comments

• saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Goodness
    You have certainly had a bout of treatment. I got my heart checked out as ordered by my new internist as my EKG shows that I have had some sort of attack in the past. I passed the echocardiogram (clear) and the treadmill test with flying colors so now that is behind me. How much longer will you have to wear Mr. Chuckles? Not long, I hope. I will find out tomorrow when I see the gyn/onc as to what chemo I will change to since the allergic reaction to carbo. It will have to be something new as I have had oodles of Taxol and carbo. Probably Doxil but who knows? Funny but Italian and Mexican foods have been my cravings with all the chemos. Rosemary does me in, however. I never avoided strong foods, and never was bothered with a sore mouth either. Maybe I'll be eating my words one day...but until then....
    Good to have your report, Sue. Will add extra healing prayers for that wound. (((Hugs))) Saundra
  • ladyjogger31
    ladyjogger31 Member Posts: 289
    Options
    saundra said:

Goodness
    You have certainly had a bout of treatment. I got my heart checked out as ordered by my new internist as my EKG shows that I have had some sort of attack in the past. I passed the echocardiogram (clear) and the treadmill test with flying colors so now that is behind me. How much longer will you have to wear Mr. Chuckles? Not long, I hope. I will find out tomorrow when I see the gyn/onc as to what chemo I will change to since the allergic reaction to carbo. It will have to be something new as I have had oodles of Taxol and carbo. Probably Doxil but who knows? Funny but Italian and Mexican foods have been my cravings with all the chemos. Rosemary does me in, however. I never avoided strong foods, and never was bothered with a sore mouth either. Maybe I'll be eating my words one day...but until then....
    Good to have your report, Sue. Will add extra healing prayers for that wound. (((Hugs))) Saundra

Sue
    It's so good to hear from you. Sounds like you have been thru alot. So sorry to hear about your heart attack. Your a Warrior and I know you will get through this. You have a great attitude. I'll be saying many prayers for you.Sending you positive thoughts.God is good!
    Hugs, Terry
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Sue,
    thanks for the update. It is good to hear from you and know what is going on! You are balancing a lot right now, but sound so chipper!! Hope the vac comes off soon and the cis only gives you "fresh sense of smell" and not nausea!!

Warm hugs,
    kathleen:)
  • jane65
    jane65 Member Posts: 277
    Options
    Sue
    Hi Sue,
    I'm sorry that you've been having such a rough time, that's a lot of difficult issues you've had to deal with.

I'm glad that you've been enjoying the healthy foods you've mentioned. We can't get enough of those.

Feel good, and I wish you only good health from now on!
    Jane
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    What an attitude!!
    Dearest Sue,

So glad you made it here to post and what an attitude, no matter how many things are tossed your way you see the positive side of it. Thanks for sharing and being an inspiration for each of us. Now I send prayers for chuckles to be chucked soon, the good sense of smell to continue and all the cardiac stuff to be just an event in your life that doesn't affect the future of you life.

Hugs ♥ Prayers BonnieRose
  • groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    BonnieR said:

What an attitude!!
    Dearest Sue,

So glad you made it here to post and what an attitude, no matter how many things are tossed your way you see the positive side of it. Thanks for sharing and being an inspiration for each of us. Now I send prayers for chuckles to be chucked soon, the good sense of smell to continue and all the cardiac stuff to be just an event in your life that doesn't affect the future of you life.

Hugs ♥ Prayers BonnieRose

Maybe this week
    Thanks to you all for your thoughts!

My visiting nurse came today, and she said the official wound nurse will see me on Friday, and she speculated my relationship with Chuckles may be coming to an end soon! I'd really love to see him shipped off Friday-I'm going to meet up with a group of old friends on Saturday, and he'd be an unwelcome member of that group (and I'd really rather not explain what he's all about).

Hugs ♥ Prayers

Sue
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options

Maybe this week
    Thanks to you all for your thoughts!

My visiting nurse came today, and she said the official wound nurse will see me on Friday, and she speculated my relationship with Chuckles may be coming to an end soon! I'd really love to see him shipped off Friday-I'm going to meet up with a group of old friends on Saturday, and he'd be an unwelcome member of that group (and I'd really rather not explain what he's all about).

Hugs ♥ Prayers

Sue

In the same boat here...but no Mr Chuckles yet
    Sue....

My incision has not healed well, either. My doctor opened it back up (part-way) two weeks ago and ordered home health care nurses twice a day to pack and dress it. He may order a wound vac if he doesn't like the looks of it next Monday. YUK! I am not looking forward to getting a Mr Chuckles of my own.

Carlene
  • guano
    guano Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Chemo and smell
    I was surprised to read in your post on the "fresh sense of smell" you are experiencing. You think it is from the Cisplatin? I have always had a good sense of smell, but it is really off the scale now. Currently, I am getting Cispatin and Gemzar the first Monday of my cycle, then only Gemzar for the 2nd and third Monday of the cycle. Earlier in the year, before my August hysterectomy, I was getting Cispatin and Taxol each time. Yes, it is wonderful to smell the fruits and vegetables and the flowers, but all of the other smells are also intensified..............I never run out of air freshners and need to have fabric softner sheets stuffed in my pillows!

Bad thing about all of this is that my husband has absolutely NO sense of smell........we think it is from his allergies, but without insurance, there is not much we can do about it, except for me to tell him when some smell is bothering me!

Linda
  • jamilou
    jamilou Member Posts: 200
    Options
    Glad you are back!
    Sue
    I am so glad to see you back on the boards but hate that you have had such a hard time. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your sister and are able to continue to taste the wonderful foods of the holidays!

With love and prayers
    Jami