Visit with Medical Onc today - Need extra prayers!

Options
2»

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Thinking of you and hoping
    Thinking of you and hoping all went well at the Oncs. Sometimes you have to step on a few toes to get the treatment you need. Best wishes.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Theres no place like home, theres no place like home......
    I'm home!
    Wow....wish that trick with clicking your heals really worked!!
    Thank you everyone for all of your uplifting thoughts and prayers! Just reading your post makes me feel better.
    It was a good visit. Doc feels I probably "pulled" my inscisions and that adhesions are forming making it VERY painful. She reminded me that "adhesions" from a previous surgery were part of the reason my surgery became complicated in the first place. She thinks due to the amount of abuse my body has been through these last 6 months, it is struggling to repair itself. Having to be on bedrest has slowed the process (exercise really does help you!), but I have to trade one for the other. I am on the mend...just at a snails pace. She encouraged me to follow up with my GYN this Friday and follow her orders.
    Which brought us to the topic of sleep. Hard to do when all you do is lounge around. Again, exercise is really benefical for this too. So I am going to try Restoril (sp) which is not only a sleeping pill but is used for anxiety as well. Gotta love bargain shopping...two benefits for the price of one!
    Which brought us to the topic of my mood. Yeah, it has taken a nose dive in the past several weeks, so we are going to try Lexapro (sp) and boast my spirits. Party in my body!! All organs (including brain) welcome!
    Which then brought us to "how are you doing on the Tamoxifen?"
    After spewing out my long list of side effects (hot flashes, night sweats, mild nausea, hair thinning, skin changes, MAJOR mood swings...although hubby pointed out that only 1 was really worth a nomination for best actress in a horror movie!....and tiredness) I did overall come to the conclusion that it was tolerable and doable as long as it eventually went away and I wasn't looking at 5 years of torture. Nope...I was assured SE's do subside or become very mild within 6 months. However...
    She is switching me in 3 months to Arimidex (as long as test confirm I am now postmenopausal). She said then I will possibly have joint aches and tiredness to deal with, but it will be better for me than the Tamoxifen. Only problem is it does deplete the bone and I already have osteopenia. She has a plan in effect to work with that since I can not take any drugs that contain bisophosfates (sp) such as Zometa, etc.
    Which than brought us to the descussion of diet. Woohoo....all this laying around and I only gained 1 pound! I blame it strickly on the shoe fashion. You see, last time I saw her I was wearing sandels (warm weather) and today I had on very heavy, klunky, solid, don't fall shoes! Definitly a solid pound! So....we agreed that my diet is going well except she would like me to use natural surgers over artifical sweetners (which is in most diet foods and drinks). Said she would not allow her own children to consume the artifical kind. Too many controversaries. She believes strongly more in what nature has produced in this regard. Best part....(ta da!!) I can eat all the ice-cream I want!! It doesn't get any better than this!
    Hugs and smiles....Pammy
    Whew....what a great visit!! I feel better already!
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    Options
    Pammy... good luck ..
    Pammy... good luck .. thinking of you.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

I'm home!
    Thank you everyone for all of your uplifting thoughts and prayers! Just reading your post makes me feel better.
    It was a good visit. Doc feels I probably "pulled" my inscisions and that adhesions are forming making it VERY painful. She reminded me that "adhesions" from a previous surgery were part of the reason my surgery became complicated in the first place. She thinks due to the amount of abuse my body has been through these last 6 months, it is struggling to repair itself. Having to be on bedrest has slowed the process (exercise really does help you!), but I have to trade one for the other. I am on the mend...just at a snails pace. She encouraged me to follow up with my GYN this Friday and follow her orders.
    Which brought us to the topic of sleep. Hard to do when all you do is lounge around. Again, exercise is really benefical for this too. So I am going to try Restoril (sp) which is not only a sleeping pill but is used for anxiety as well. Gotta love bargain shopping...two benefits for the price of one!
    Which brought us to the topic of my mood. Yeah, it has taken a nose dive in the past several weeks, so we are going to try Lexapro (sp) and boast my spirits. Party in my body!! All organs (including brain) welcome!
    After spewing out my long list of side effects (hot flashes, night sweats, mild nausea, hair thinning, skin changes, MAJOR mood swings...although hubby pointed out that only 1 was really worth a nomination for best actress in a horror movie!....and tiredness) I did overall come to the conclusion that it was tolerable and doable as long as it eventually went away and I wasn't looking at 5 years of torture. Nope...I was assured SE's do subside or become very mild within 6 months. However...
    She is switching me in 3 months to Arimidex (as long as test confirm I am now postmenopausal). She said then I will possibly have joint aches and tiredness to deal with, but it will be better for me than the Tamoxifen. Only problem is it does deplete the bone and I already have osteopenia. She has a plan in effect to work with that since I can not take any drugs that contain bisophosfates (sp) such as Zometa, etc.
    Which than brought us to the descussion of diet. Woohoo....all this laying around and I only gained 1 pound! I blame it strickly on the shoe fashion. You see, last time I saw her I was wearing sandels (warm weather) and today I had on very heavy, klunky, solid, don't fall shoes! Definitly a solid pound! So....we agreed that my diet is going well except she would like me to use natural surgers over artifical sweetners (which is in most diet foods and drinks). Said she would not allow her own children to consume the artifical kind. Too many controversaries. She believes strongly more in what nature has produced in this regard. Best part....(ta da!!) I can eat all the ice-cream I want!! It doesn't get any better than this!
    Hugs and smiles....Pammy

Hey Pammy
    So Glad you got some answers. After reading your story I had to laugh a bit. We are a mess aren't we. I won't start tamoxifen, until I am done with chemo and Rads I think. Gee more to look forward to. Hugs
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

I'm home!
    Hugs and smiles....Pammy

Pammy...
    so, by the time I read the post, you have gone and come back, but you (and all the others) are always in my prayers, so hopefully that helped. Glad you got some news you can deal with from the docs regarding your pain, I know this has been an issue for quite some time now, and it makes it hard to heal, doesn't it?

So, hopefully your ice cream was great, and you can get the meds needed to heal, rest and feel better soon.
    Take care of yourself! (or have hubby take care of you!)
    =^..^=
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    e_hope said:

Pammy... good luck ..
    Pammy... good luck .. thinking of you.

Bring on the ice cream. I
    Bring on the ice cream. I won't say I am glad it might be adhesions but that is better than the alternative. They can really do a number. Pulling and painful. Can you do gentle exercise to help with this? It does make sense considering your surgery problem that adhesions are the culprit. I will keep you in my prayers that this resolves but glad that all in all it went well.
    Stef
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    fauxma said:

Bring on the ice cream. I
    Bring on the ice cream. I won't say I am glad it might be adhesions but that is better than the alternative. They can really do a number. Pulling and painful. Can you do gentle exercise to help with this? It does make sense considering your surgery problem that adhesions are the culprit. I will keep you in my prayers that this resolves but glad that all in all it went well.
    Stef

Good news, Pammy ...
    Now you can get ice cream, not diet drinks .. and form a plan of attack.

VickiSam
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

I'm home!
    Hugs and smiles....Pammy

Good Visit. Good News, Real Ice Cream
    I am so glad to read this, Pammy. Your doc sounds very knowledgeable and informative and reassuring, someone who can set your mind at ease. You have been through an unbelievable series of events. You couldn't have invented these last months, could you? At least you have no lack of material to work with, if you do decide to write a novel.

Rest well tonight, my friend. Sending you hugs and smiles, and continued prayers for your healing.

Moops

p.s. Thanks for your doctor's opinion about sugar. I can eat some of Joe's ice cream sandwiches in good conscience. (don't tell Mimi!)
  • sherria49
    sherria49 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Plenty of Prayers!!!
    are coming your way! That is a long trip!

Good luck and keep us posted!!! I always look for your posts. You are an absolute god send to many of us!!!

Love & hugzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    sherria49 said:

Plenty of Prayers!!!
    are coming your way! That is a long trip!

Good luck and keep us posted!!! I always look for your posts. You are an absolute god send to many of us!!!

Love & hugzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Pammy ♥
    It sounds like your doctors have it figured out now and soon you will be back to your old self again. Rest and recuperate quickly.

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

I'm home!
    Hugs and smiles....Pammy

Dear Pammy, Sorry this is so
    Dear Pammy, Sorry this is so late. I am glad that you are home safe and sound, but sorry that you are in so much pain. Just a thought for travelling...do you know someone who has a van that you can borrow? You could make a bed in the back with comfy blankets , a pillow or two, and a cooler of ice cream - be chauffeured to and from those appointments.

Restoril sounds like magic! I hope it gives you the relief that you deserve! I thought Lexapro was one of the antidepressants NOT to take with Tamoxifen; am I remembering wrong? xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

I'm home!
    Hugs and smiles....Pammy

Just came on to check on
    Just came on to check on you. Glad to read that you now have answers to your questions. You have to feel better about that. We were all sending positive energy your way yesterday and it seems to have worked. Now, we need to plan the ice cream social. Let's get, I think it was Lola, to bring the brownies with rocky road ice cream and chocolate syrup. I'll bring Baked Alaska. This is beginning to make me hungry for ice cream. The absolute best part of all of this.....you feel better Pammy! Sending a gentle hug your way.
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Pammy ♥
    It sounds like your doctors have it figured out now and soon you will be back to your old self again. Rest and recuperate quickly.

Love, Jeanne ♥

So glad
    you got some news - and being told ice cream is good for you - what could be better? I'll be anxious to hear about your appt on Friday - take care of yourself and know we are all here for you! I wanted you to know, the last few nights, I've eaten ice cream in your honor! (praying & ice cream go so well together!)
    much love,
    -Jenny
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

I'm home!
    Hugs and smiles....Pammy

Adhesions, and no sleep, and
    Adhesions, and no sleep, and stress~ Oh My!!!

You had quite the day, didn't you? What I do like is that you and your Dr. seem to cover everything! My Dr. never asks me anything "personal"...and with no touch-stones, I never knew any of my meds might even have side effects! Oh well, it is all in keeping with my Ostrich Therapy! :-)

I am glad you are getting reasonable, workable answers and most importantly , you can eat ice-cream!

Hugs, to you!
    Chrn♥
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

I'm home!
    Hugs and smiles....Pammy

Awww, Pammy...
    We both have a little bit of Dorothy Gale within us - yes? (The Wizard of Oz = my favorite movie of all time!)

Well, considering the factors involved - am glad your doctor visit bore good news. And, I'll be hoping all the new recommendations (meds, etc.) will help you to truly feel better as you continue to heal. Remember the tale of the tortoise and the hare? The tortoise unexpectedly wins the race - slow and steady... :-)

Sooo glad you feel better already!

Kind regards, Susan
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    Thanks everyone for all your encouragement and concerns! All of you really are so special. Hugs and smiles...Pammy
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

So glad
    you got some news - and being told ice cream is good for you - what could be better? I'll be anxious to hear about your appt on Friday - take care of yourself and know we are all here for you! I wanted you to know, the last few nights, I've eaten ice cream in your honor! (praying & ice cream go so well together!)
    much love,
    -Jenny

I am glad You are feeling better
    Pammy,
    Thank you for sharing your positive news.
    I wish you get better and be persistent with your GY. What is your surgeon said about your recovery time?
    As for a sleeping problem, many of us have had insomnia. If you take antidepressants I was told not to take them in the evening. From my own experience I found that I feel much better if I take Tamoxifen in the morning after breakfast, very disruptive sleep if I take it after dinner. Still I have been on Ambient for 8 months, now am trying to use natural remedies. My PC suggested Lunesta, I tried but did not like it. Lunesta gives much deeper sleep.
    Ice-cream sounds wonderful, if you eat strawberry ice-cream it could be counted as one serving of fruits!
    New Flower