Chemo No. 5

allackey
allackey Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Caregivers #1
Tomorrow is round 5 of 8 of chemo for my wife. At the half way mark last time the symptoms lasted longer. She's really getting weary and although we are on the downhill slide, it gets harder and harder to endure for her. I consider it an honor to be amongst all of you who are so strong and such inspirations. During her chemo treatments I have never met anyone receiving treatment that has a negative attitude. I guess I just wanted to post and ramble, because last time was the first real difficult time. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers, as I will for all of you. (FYI she is on Oxi/Avastin/Xeloda).

Comments

• lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    ((((Big hugs)))) for the 2nd half of chemo protocol
    I won't lie and tell you chemo gets easier, as the effects on your body get progressively worse as your bone marrow gets compromised. About halfway through my scheduled 6 rounds of chemo, I know that I started to have trouble being strong enough to safely get my chemo infusion. Each time I appeared for my last 3 scheduled rounds, my blood counts were too low for me to safely have my chemo, and I was either sent home to wait another week and hopefully be more recovered, or was given a blood transfusion and sent home to get more recovered before trying again. But I got through it, and so will your wife, God willing. Just don't let the small set-backs send you reeling; delays and side-steps are normal when you are deeper into your chemo protocol. When I would cry and beg for him to let me have my chemo anyway, my oncologist would say "We want to kill your cancer, not kill you." And he was right. It may have taken me a month longer to get all of my chemo rounds into me, but I am in complete remission now. Deep breath. You are getting there.

It is humbing to see the strength and acceptance of the others in the chemo lounge, isn't it? It helps so much, because, how can you drown in a justifiable pity-party, when you spend hours with others who cheerfully are going through something even worse?

(((Big hugs))). Hang in there. Each day brings you one day closer to a break from all this.
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Treatments
    My husband just completed his 12th round (6 months, twice a month)of chemo for Colorectal Cancer. His was in the transverse colon and mets to liver and lung. His drugs were Anzamet (nausea) Decadron(steroid) the Oxi, Avastin and 5FU with the take home pump. He handled his treatments very well and continued working full time except for infusion day when he only worked 1/2 day. He was very fatigued and (in my opinion) had a short fuse from the Decadron but when he got to the halfway point, all the side effects did not intensify except for the neuropathy and fatigue. As a caregiver, you just have to hang in there and do the best you can. Hopefully, now that you know the side effects they will be easier for the both of you to handle. Remember to also take care of yourself and get a little time away if you have to. Your wife has the cancer but you are living the cancer and it is a tough road for both. Best wishes that the treatments go well and do their job. We are scheduled for a scan at the end of this week and onc visit next week to see where we go from here. I'm sure it will be more chemo but until we get the scan results, you really don't know. Take care. Sending good vibes your way.
  • ewedee
    ewedee Member Posts: 6
    geotina said:

Treatments
    My husband just completed his 12th round (6 months, twice a month)of chemo for Colorectal Cancer. His was in the transverse colon and mets to liver and lung. His drugs were Anzamet (nausea) Decadron(steroid) the Oxi, Avastin and 5FU with the take home pump. He handled his treatments very well and continued working full time except for infusion day when he only worked 1/2 day. He was very fatigued and (in my opinion) had a short fuse from the Decadron but when he got to the halfway point, all the side effects did not intensify except for the neuropathy and fatigue. As a caregiver, you just have to hang in there and do the best you can. Hopefully, now that you know the side effects they will be easier for the both of you to handle. Remember to also take care of yourself and get a little time away if you have to. Your wife has the cancer but you are living the cancer and it is a tough road for both. Best wishes that the treatments go well and do their job. We are scheduled for a scan at the end of this week and onc visit next week to see where we go from here. I'm sure it will be more chemo but until we get the scan results, you really don't know. Take care. Sending good vibes your way.

Same boat
    I'm glad you wrote. My husband has had his 5th treatment of chemo for colorectal cancer. Like your husband we also have the 6 months every other week. I am trying so hard to be "nice" to him. He snaps at me over every little thing - something he never did before chemo. He answers my questions like he told me the correct thing to begin with and I shouldn't be correcting or asking him what ? He sits around almost all day everyday. He can't remember things I tell him. I know when we first started this journey we were warned about "chemo-brain" and I try to keep that in mind. Some days I just want to go screaming from the house. I am grateful for such supportive words of encouragement.
  • ewedee said:

Same boat
    I'm glad you wrote. My husband has had his 5th treatment of chemo for colorectal cancer. Like your husband we also have the 6 months every other week. I am trying so hard to be "nice" to him. He snaps at me over every little thing - something he never did before chemo. He answers my questions like he told me the correct thing to begin with and I shouldn't be correcting or asking him what ? He sits around almost all day everyday. He can't remember things I tell him. I know when we first started this journey we were warned about "chemo-brain" and I try to keep that in mind. Some days I just want to go screaming from the house. I am grateful for such supportive words of encouragement.

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • slickwilly
    slickwilly Member Posts: 334 Member
    unknown said:

notquitewhatIha. I would imagine the rest of your name was "had in mind". I had cancer and I did a pretty good job of being an idiot at times. But I would never pick on Meatloaf as I love Paradise by the dashboard lights. I had a terrible reaction to some of the pain drugs I was given. Once so bad that I had no remorse for anything I was doing. My wife called the doctor and we quickly changed drugs. Now cooking is a whole different subject. I came home from my first chemo treatment with my wife cooking bacon on the stove. After 9 1/2 hours of chemo that last thing I wanted to smell was food cooking. We did a lot of cooking on the outside grill. Watching medical shows, murder movies ect was not exactly what I wanted to see when I thought I was going to die. I know I was a major pain in the butt as I had so many thing going through my mind. But my family and friends understood and when the time was right I told them all that I was sorry. There were alot of things out of control in my life and its not a good place to be stuck in. And sometimes, someone needs to step up and tell us that we don't exactly get a free pass on every comment we make. Communication can be a good thing. Well, I will put Peter Gabriel on the stereo and zone out. Best wishes for you and your family. Slickwilly
  • notquitewhatIha. I would imagine the rest of your name was "had in mind". I had cancer and I did a pretty good job of being an idiot at times. But I would never pick on Meatloaf as I love Paradise by the dashboard lights. I had a terrible reaction to some of the pain drugs I was given. Once so bad that I had no remorse for anything I was doing. My wife called the doctor and we quickly changed drugs. Now cooking is a whole different subject. I came home from my first chemo treatment with my wife cooking bacon on the stove. After 9 1/2 hours of chemo that last thing I wanted to smell was food cooking. We did a lot of cooking on the outside grill. Watching medical shows, murder movies ect was not exactly what I wanted to see when I thought I was going to die. I know I was a major pain in the butt as I had so many thing going through my mind. But my family and friends understood and when the time was right I told them all that I was sorry. There were alot of things out of control in my life and its not a good place to be stuck in. And sometimes, someone needs to step up and tell us that we don't exactly get a free pass on every comment we make. Communication can be a good thing. Well, I will put Peter Gabriel on the stereo and zone out. Best wishes for you and your family. Slickwilly