anyone else taking FEC for chemo?fluorouracil,epirubicin, cyclophosphamide, folloed by docetaxel, t

newbiefromcananda
newbiefromcananda Member Posts: 234
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
hi I haven't started chemo yet but this will be my "cocktail" sounds so scary :(

Comments

• joy2u
    joy2u Member Posts: 9
    I'm sorry, I don't have
    I'm sorry, I don't have experience with these therapies, but I wish you all the best and hope you tolerate and do well with this cocktail. Let us know how you're doing on them. Have you started on them yet? Did you have mastectomy? Have you done research on this combination?
  • newbiefromcananda
    joy2u said:

I'm sorry, I don't have
    I'm sorry, I don't have experience with these therapies, but I wish you all the best and hope you tolerate and do well with this cocktail. Let us know how you're doing on them. Have you started on them yet? Did you have mastectomy? Have you done research on this combination?

hi I haven't started yet,
    hi I haven't started yet, but I have done research++++ I will keep you posted xoxo Lisa
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Hi newbie
    Yes they all sound scary dont they? I did not have your cocktail, I had Adriamycin/Cytoxan four rounds, then four rounds of Taxol.
    You will do great, it is quite the life changer, but with all the support you will get from the people on these boards, you can do anything!
    Let us know when you have more information
    =^..^=
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Cocktail
    As Cat said, they ALL sound scary and just because you may not find someone on here to identify with your cocktail, would not mean it's not good. If anything, they are coming up with new things all the time, so if you are a protocol for a new clinical trial, that would be wonderful! My onc told me that at one time mine was a trial (TAC - Taxotere, Adriamycin & Cytoxan). Please be sure to let us know more when you find out more.

Hugs & best wishes... Mar
  • GemmaB
    GemmaB Member Posts: 5
    FEC-T
    Hi

This is the same treatment I received. I finished my course FEC-T 4 weeks ago!Hooray!

I know everyone is different and your experiences may be very different from mine but I consider myself very lucky with regards to the side effects I had on this treatment.

With the FEC the main issues were tiredness and a bloated stomach. I lost my hair after the second treatment but I recommend most strongly that you dont wait for it to start coming out,keep it short and once you know it is going to go (and you will know) get someone to shave it off for you - I know it sounds drastic but the 'falling out' bit was worse than not having hair!!
    I found the Docetaxel a stronger drug than the FEC and experienced a runny nose (!), more hair loss and numbness in my face (an odd one that) plus aching fingernails. As my treatment ended my nails were beginning to suffer and are currently looking at bit discoloured and damaged (for this reason I kept my nails very short to prevent any further damage occuring, dont think I would have liked it had I lost a nail!).

I started my harceptin at the same time as the docetaxel but you may find yours is after. This has limited side effects and if anything is going to show itself you would know at the first treatment.However nothing like the other drugs.

As I said - everyone is different and you may experience different symptoms. My key recommendation is to keep a diary each day so you can start to identify any patterns and you will find it easier to cope with and spot anything unusual then.

Best of luck! Once you start you wont believe how quickly the time goes!
  • newbiefromcananda
    GemmaB said:

FEC-T
    Hi

This is the same treatment I received. I finished my course FEC-T 4 weeks ago!Hooray!

I know everyone is different and your experiences may be very different from mine but I consider myself very lucky with regards to the side effects I had on this treatment.

With the FEC the main issues were tiredness and a bloated stomach. I lost my hair after the second treatment but I recommend most strongly that you dont wait for it to start coming out,keep it short and once you know it is going to go (and you will know) get someone to shave it off for you - I know it sounds drastic but the 'falling out' bit was worse than not having hair!!
    I found the Docetaxel a stronger drug than the FEC and experienced a runny nose (!), more hair loss and numbness in my face (an odd one that) plus aching fingernails. As my treatment ended my nails were beginning to suffer and are currently looking at bit discoloured and damaged (for this reason I kept my nails very short to prevent any further damage occuring, dont think I would have liked it had I lost a nail!).

I started my harceptin at the same time as the docetaxel but you may find yours is after. This has limited side effects and if anything is going to show itself you would know at the first treatment.However nothing like the other drugs.

As I said - everyone is different and you may experience different symptoms. My key recommendation is to keep a diary each day so you can start to identify any patterns and you will find it easier to cope with and spot anything unusual then.

Best of luck! Once you start you wont believe how quickly the time goes!

thank you for the advice, I
    thank you for the advice, I will have the docetaxal first with herceptin then FEC as I will be on a study for avavstin (they apparantly do it this way in Austraila so?? thanks everyone, surgery next week for the PORT :( I do not like surgery at all, theno off to chemo ..... I love this site xxxoooo Lisa