Rookie could use some advice

Options
2»

Comments

• brenda247
    brenda247 Member Posts: 124
    Options
    I had a mastectomy on april of this year...
    I had it on the left side.. I was very sore the first 2 weeks so since thanksgiving is right around the corner get that help!! It will get better soon you just need to take good care of yourself for awhile..

good luck to you!!
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    I had one relative who would
    I had one relative who would burst into tears every time she saw me. I finally had to tell her that I was fighting for my life but I was going to get better and I needed to be surrounded by positive people. She then became like my cheerleader, but I could handle that much easier. I think it's ok to say you don't want drama if you don't. I prefer laughter and positive thoughts, but everyone is different so you need to let people know what helps you.
  • Kim59
    Kim59 Member Posts: 43
    Options
    sherria49 said:

Hi Cvolk!
    I'm just a few weeks ahead of you, I had bilateral mastectomy w/reconstruction 10/30, sent home 10/31. I had a drain on each side. Everyone's pain tolerance is different. My chest felt like a set of encylcopedias on them. The drains were the pain. My daughter, 19 (not a nurse), became my nurse. Here I am not even 2 weeks after, 1 drain removed, other one coming out tomorrow!! Woo Hoo!!

I would suggest, like everyone else here, that you allow someone else to take over the Thanksgiving activities and be the princess. I am not even considering doing Thanksgiving myself. Please, clear with you Dr before traveling.

I also agree to find someone to be the middleman for you.

Come back and post, read, vent as much as you need or want. The veterans here are the best. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Hugzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I am with sherria49. Had my
    I am with sherria49. Had my bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction on 10/30, went home the next day. Sure wish I would have stayed that extra day in the hospital. I felt like a truck hit me. I have 2 drains. They better come out tomorrow. I needed a lot of help getting out of bed. I acutally felt better when I was in the recliner. The first week I was in a lot of pain. Each day is getting better.

I am not doing Thanksgiving....
  • sandycr
    sandycr Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Advice to a Rookie from a Rookie
    I had a double mastectomy on 10/6/09 with reconstruction, with 2 drains on each side. Keep the pain meds consistent to keep the discomfort under control. You didn't mention the type of reconstruction you were having but that is where I felt and am still feeling the most discomfort. I have the Tissue Expanders.I had family caring and cooking for me for 2 weeks then tapered off by the third week. Husband has been handling household chores including cooking since then, what a great man I have. Driving, I started on my 3rd week but very limited because of the limited range of motion in my arms.

A positive attitude and lots of prayers will get you through.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and will be with you on Thursday. On the morning of surgery imagine yourself wrapped in a blanket of love made up of all of your new friends.

Sandy :)
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    Options
    Hi cvolk821...
    I had my

Hi cvolk821...

I had my double mastectomy with expander reconstruction in Feb. followed by 2 month recovery period.. than 5 months of chemo.. followed by a 3 week recovery period... than 7 weeks of radiation.

I just finished radiation last week.. I meet with my plastic surgeon at the end of the month so he can look at my skin. He wants to wait 2-3 months after radiation is complete before doing the exchange for the permanent implants. So depending on how happy he is with my skin, will depend on when I will have my final surgery. So I am hoping to get an answer at the end of the month.. but looks like its going to be January or Feb.

ITS A LONG PROCESS.. esp if you have to have adjacent treatment...

Good luck
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    Hi cvolk and welcome. I came
    Hi cvolk and welcome. I came to this site last April. I recieved a lot of help here. Help that I could not get anywhere else. My family and friends were wonderful, and you will find with some you wind up comforting them. So this site is the place to be. You will get honest answers to your questions. Some answers you may not want to here. I had a lumpectomy with 22 nodes removed 2 positive. I am her2 positive. I am currently doing chemo and then will do Rads. I learned from others here on this site to take it one day at a time. I learned that there is a lot of waiting for answers. I learned how to control my fear. I learned who my friends are. I learned how horrible everyone feels when our hair falls out. I also learned that it's all doable. You can do this, and you will have help every step of the way here with your new friends. Just except help from others there at home. Everyone heals different, so just do what you can when you can. Say No when you need to. Good luck, Hugs and prayers.
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Options
    Just my experience
    I had a right side modified radical masectomy (although at this time no reconstruction) - nothing hurt! I can actually say that I had no pain except for under my arm (I got 24 lymph nodes removed, 11 were positive) I ordered supper the night of my masectomy from the hospital cafeteria, felt tine, and got out of the hospital the very next day at 1:00pm (after ordering breakfast)
    I had my surgery on Sept. 24, 2009 and still have had no pain in the breast area. I have been doing exercises to work my underarm after the lymph nodes were removed. That was the biggest thing is that I could not use my right arm very good at all therefore stayed home from work for a few weeks. But no pain and no exhaustion for me. Good luck to you and if it is any consolation, I really WISH now that I would have gotten a bilateral - easier to get 2 prosthesis, rather than to match just one! Keep writing, everyone in this great group of gals is here for you!
  • joy2u
    joy2u Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Almost 2 weeks post op
    As you can see, there are so many of us who have been in your shoes.

1. My experiences just following surgery were that I was so grateful for pain meds. They really to make things bearable. They keep the pain to a level of discomfort rather than stabbing pain, so don't worry about that. Just take them on time. Time is hospital is totally dependant on you and my docs said I could stay as long as I needed, just let them know if I need to stay and they will take care of the rest.

2. Two weeks after surgery, well I'm almost 2 weeks post op and I need about 1/3 of the pain meds. And you know what I did today, I took a walk in this beautiful sunshine and my husband took me to see the movie 2012. For such MAJOR surgery, it hasn't been as bad for me as I expected. I would not plan to have a big dinner scheduled at your home, but you will probably be able to make something simple and take to dinner elsewhere.

3. Drama, let them help you if you need it, and take care of the things you feel like taking care of, otherwise you'll never get rid of them. Ha.

Start stretching now so you have better range of motion after surgery. Then keep the stretching up after surgery. I wouldn't be as far along in my recover had I not planned ahead.

Best of luck with your venture.

Joy
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    joy2u said:

Almost 2 weeks post op
    As you can see, there are so many of us who have been in your shoes.

1. My experiences just following surgery were that I was so grateful for pain meds. They really to make things bearable. They keep the pain to a level of discomfort rather than stabbing pain, so don't worry about that. Just take them on time. Time is hospital is totally dependant on you and my docs said I could stay as long as I needed, just let them know if I need to stay and they will take care of the rest.

2. Two weeks after surgery, well I'm almost 2 weeks post op and I need about 1/3 of the pain meds. And you know what I did today, I took a walk in this beautiful sunshine and my husband took me to see the movie 2012. For such MAJOR surgery, it hasn't been as bad for me as I expected. I would not plan to have a big dinner scheduled at your home, but you will probably be able to make something simple and take to dinner elsewhere.

3. Drama, let them help you if you need it, and take care of the things you feel like taking care of, otherwise you'll never get rid of them. Ha.

Start stretching now so you have better range of motion after surgery. Then keep the stretching up after surgery. I wouldn't be as far along in my recover had I not planned ahead.

Best of luck with your venture.

Joy

Hi ♥
    I just want to welcome you to this great site. As you can see, you will get a lot of support, advice and encouragment. Good luck!

Love, Jeanne ♥