prolonged chemo

2»

Comments

• Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    KATE58 said:

I've had a lot more than
    I've had a lot more than that-chemo,remission-chemo,remission.As soon as the pet/ct scans show me clear,in a few months another'tumour of the month' pops up. My doctors say I will probably have to be on some form of chemo off and on for the rest of my life.I was diagnosed stage IV metastatic in 2005 and most of my major organs that I can live without,have been removed,I even had half my liver removed( the only organ that grows back)
    I am in the hands of God.I take each day as it comes,am grateful for every sunrise.I just had endoscopy ERCP to biopsy a new tumour in my main bile duct.good news/ bad news-it was cancer but it was colon cancer and they think they got it all out.I start a new round of chemo in 10 days.-worse news would have been if it was a new cancer( like pancreatic cancer-)
    HANG IN THERE-YOU ARE NOT ALONE
    Lots of people are here to listen and give good advice.
    kate

WoW
    Kate, I had no idea you had this for almost 5 years, how inspiring you are, and how much hope it gives me that you can go on. I can't even get into remission, with me being Stage 4 to the liver, but you just never know, you been really great and supportive here, I love your posts.

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • KATE58
    KATE58 Member Posts: 299
    donnare said:

Hi Deb
    My husband is 52, and was dx in May 09, Stage IV with mets to liver (over 11). At this point, he is not a candidate for liver resection or any other targeted therapy for his liver. We hope that changes.

He was told he would probably be on some type of chemo for the rest of his life. He has completed eight and the fatigue, and neuropathy from the oxi, are starting to get to him too. He has a hard time thinking about being on chemo "forever", especially because we plan on "the rest of his life" being a very long time. So, we cope by taking it one day at a time Deb.

Be well,
    Donna

The oxilaplatin is the worse
    The oxilaplatin is the worse and he won't be on that forever .they like to MIX IT UP.
    by changing 'recipes' Sometimes after a while one drug stops working ,I guess you kind of become immune to it, so they change drugs and after a while (months)of not having that drug your body 'forgets' it had it before and it works again.Tell him to hang in there!