Have a Good Bonfire Night......

Options
tasha_111
tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
5th November... Guy Fawlkes Night.. Get the fireworks out and build a huge bonfire... (Remember to check for hedgehogs making nests under it, and make sure they are far enough in to get Properly Cooked)
Bonfire toffee and Baked Tates are the order of the day.
If you want to go the whole hog, burn an effigy on the bonfire at its' height... Maybe someone famous, or just a plain old Guy.
In the locality I came from in Lincolnshire, it was a tradition for the whole village to get extremely intoxicated and march the main road with a stuffed Gorilla by torchlight.... The stuffed gorilla would then be thrown from the roof of the local hostelry.. The Houblon Inn.

This was something to do with the lord of the manor back in the 18th century, he was a worldwide hunter and brought back with him a baby gorilla from one of his foreign excursions, However the gorilla grew and got nasty and escaped his cell and killed the lords son, who was so mad he tossed him off the roof of his home Culverthorpe Hall.

The villagers of Oasby keep this tradition alive every year on this night. Maybe it's just for the beer, they have quite a few beer induced traditions too. Love 'em all.

Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxx

Here endeth the lesson

Comments

• fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Oh, a bonfire, and crispy
    Oh, a bonfire, and crispy hedgehogs with taters and toffee. What fun!! There are several of my ancestors that came from Lincolnshire. Maybe we are secretly related. I love alcohol induced traditions. Have fun with Guy and the bonfire.
    Stef
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    fauxma said:

Oh, a bonfire, and crispy
    Oh, a bonfire, and crispy hedgehogs with taters and toffee. What fun!! There are several of my ancestors that came from Lincolnshire. Maybe we are secretly related. I love alcohol induced traditions. Have fun with Guy and the bonfire.
    Stef

Cheers Tash
    any excuse to drink a beer LOL thanks for the history lesson
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    Jadie said:

Cheers Tash
    any excuse to drink a beer LOL thanks for the history lesson

We're having a bonfire at
    We're having a bonfire at our Scorpio birthday party this weekend...burning a gorilla in effigy sounds just like something we'd do....right around midnight when we're feeling no pain....now where to find one..... :)