New to this Site and Discussion Board

Options
2»

Comments

• Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options

Welcome!
    Hi Joan, I was also diag stage 4 at the age of 38. I will be 40 yrs old in Dec. Mine started because I had a swollen lymph node in my neck,after getting checked they found a tumor in my colon, I did 5fu for 12 treatments. I was very fatigued!!! Just recently they found I have spots on my lungs and spine, so now I am on xeloda, oxyaplatin and avastin. I have only done 4 treatments. I go every 3 weeks. As soon as I start to feel good It seems it's time for another treatment. I know how you feel, we all do! Do you have anyone who can help you! Take advantage of it! Chemo does suck, but right now I am not ready for the alternative, I am too young, and so are you! Keep fighing! We are all here for you!!

Karyn

Thanks for coming on board
    God Bless that you may find some inner peace with all that is to comce. Live life!
  • mikejones_53
    mikejones_53 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    I was diagnose with stage 4
    I was diagnosed with stage 4 rectal cancer in mid june after a colonoscopy. Had small mets to the brain, bones, liver and one lung. They immediately gave me 15 radiation treatments Mon-Fri for 3 weeks and it appears that the brain mets have turned to rocks and are no longer an issue. I'll find out for sure next week when I have an appt with the radiation doctors. The scans, MRI etc. have shown a steady decrease in size of the other mets. The best news was when I asked the nurse why there was no mention of the rectal tumor in the reports she called me at home the next Monday and told me that the rectal tumor no longer shows up on the scans. I asked what that means and she said that as far as they could tell the tumor had disappeared. My only side effects are the tingles from cold, tiredness, and a hard time choking down food-I've probably lost 10 lbs. since diagnosis. I haven't missed any work except for appointments so far and have 3 more chemo sessions. I get Folfox 5FU avastin oxyplatin and something for bone strength every other treatment. The dr. says that he will eliminate some meds, and probably lower the amount of others after these 12 sesssions are done.
    It's hard sometimes, but try to keep your chin up, fight hard, hope for the best at all times, even while you are going through the worst try to think about the things that are worthwhile to keep on going for. You have a lot to fight/live for.
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options

I was diagnose with stage 4
    I was diagnosed with stage 4 rectal cancer in mid june after a colonoscopy. Had small mets to the brain, bones, liver and one lung. They immediately gave me 15 radiation treatments Mon-Fri for 3 weeks and it appears that the brain mets have turned to rocks and are no longer an issue. I'll find out for sure next week when I have an appt with the radiation doctors. The scans, MRI etc. have shown a steady decrease in size of the other mets. The best news was when I asked the nurse why there was no mention of the rectal tumor in the reports she called me at home the next Monday and told me that the rectal tumor no longer shows up on the scans. I asked what that means and she said that as far as they could tell the tumor had disappeared. My only side effects are the tingles from cold, tiredness, and a hard time choking down food-I've probably lost 10 lbs. since diagnosis. I haven't missed any work except for appointments so far and have 3 more chemo sessions. I get Folfox 5FU avastin oxyplatin and something for bone strength every other treatment. The dr. says that he will eliminate some meds, and probably lower the amount of others after these 12 sesssions are done.
    It's hard sometimes, but try to keep your chin up, fight hard, hope for the best at all times, even while you are going through the worst try to think about the things that are worthwhile to keep on going for. You have a lot to fight/live for.

HI!
    I just wanted to welcome you to our family Mike, and hope you come here and post alot, we're here for you and each other, and congratulations on your scan! that's great news! But, we live each day as it comes, and just roll with those punches, you're right, never give up ;)

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • mikejones_53
    mikejones_53 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Shayenne said:

HI!
    I just wanted to welcome you to our family Mike, and hope you come here and post alot, we're here for you and each other, and congratulations on your scan! that's great news! But, we live each day as it comes, and just roll with those punches, you're right, never give up ;)

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

Thanks, Donna. Everyone here
    Thanks, Donna. Everyone here needs to help prop each other up and it sure looks like that is what's happening on this site. I'm glad I found it. Yeah, the dr. sure seems to be elated at this point and he is a no b.s. type of guy, so if he's positve, the least I can do is fight thru this. I don't plan on this doing me in(at least for 20 yrs. or so.) I'm 56.