I have question for anyone .....

Options
Buzzard
Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am a colorectal cancer survivor 8 months NED at this moment..I have a very good friend that has a mom that has been diagnosed with early stage 3 with 1 node involvement and slight at that. She is doing chemo at this time and has 1 more treatment and will then do radiation before surgery trying to shrink tumor. Can anyone give me specifics on prognosis, what to look for , what to lookout for, etc. I am trying to gather a little info for her son so that he can be a little more optimistic about his mom but I want to be equipped with the right answers to the best of my knowledge and I know that by asking here that I will just as I do in the Colorectal thread that I will get the right answers and quickly also. Thank you all for everything . She will be joining here before long. I just now talked with her son and they both need some uplifting information. I am trying to get them to go for second opinions also at Vanderbilt,MD Anderson etc instead of staying here where cancer is not dealt with everyday. We do have an excellent radiation unit and Oncology depts but not the surgeons to be desired in this type of disease. Thank you all.........Buzzard

Comments

• Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    Welcome, Buzzard. I am
    Welcome, Buzzard. I am sorry that your friend & his mother are having to go through this.
    I did not have the same diagnosis, but it sounds like the treatment is appropriate for her diagnosis. I wish you & your friends the best...
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    I was diagnosed as stage 3a
    I was diagnosed as stage 3a grade 3 very aggressive and had 2 nodes involved but that is 2 out of 15 after 4 cycles of chemo. My tumors had to be shrunk before surgery or I'd need skin grafts. So I had A/C before surgery and 4 cycles of Taxotere after and 6 weeks of radiation. This was back in 2003/2004. I ended up with a surgeon that I went to as a second opinion. The first admitted she didn't have the experience to deal with me (just a general surgeon and in practice for one year). My cancer didn't show on the mammogram or ultrasound. Because of this she did the biopsy in the wrong place and misdiagnosed me. She realized this and gave me three referrances for other surgeons. I looked at their backgrounds and picked one. The first surgeon is who the PCP sent me to.

So I would check backgrounds and pick a surgeon who specializes in breast cancer. Mine didn't know about the lymph node involvement till after surgery for me. Going to a place where they do many breast surgeries is a good idea. More experience.

I had not heard of radiation before surgery.
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

I was diagnosed as stage 3a
    I was diagnosed as stage 3a grade 3 very aggressive and had 2 nodes involved but that is 2 out of 15 after 4 cycles of chemo. My tumors had to be shrunk before surgery or I'd need skin grafts. So I had A/C before surgery and 4 cycles of Taxotere after and 6 weeks of radiation. This was back in 2003/2004. I ended up with a surgeon that I went to as a second opinion. The first admitted she didn't have the experience to deal with me (just a general surgeon and in practice for one year). My cancer didn't show on the mammogram or ultrasound. Because of this she did the biopsy in the wrong place and misdiagnosed me. She realized this and gave me three referrances for other surgeons. I looked at their backgrounds and picked one. The first surgeon is who the PCP sent me to.

So I would check backgrounds and pick a surgeon who specializes in breast cancer. Mine didn't know about the lymph node involvement till after surgery for me. Going to a place where they do many breast surgeries is a good idea. More experience.

I had not heard of radiation before surgery.

Having a good surgeon is
    Having a good surgeon is vitally important. Mine, who did my lumpectomy it is his speciality,breast cancer surgery.
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Options
    Welcome
    Welcome, sounds like you're doing great. Your friend's mother will get great support when she comes here. I have 3 tumors ER+, node involvement and on hormone therapy to shrink the turmors before surgery. May have radiation after. I never heard of radiation before surgery but others here may have. Keep on encouraging her to get a second opinion and if they can find a breast cancer center nearby that would be good. I'm so glad I got a second opinion and found my new drs. to be so thorough, knowlegable and experienced. Keep in touch and let us know how she's doing. Hope to meet her soon.
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    Sunrae said:

Welcome
    Welcome, sounds like you're doing great. Your friend's mother will get great support when she comes here. I have 3 tumors ER+, node involvement and on hormone therapy to shrink the turmors before surgery. May have radiation after. I never heard of radiation before surgery but others here may have. Keep on encouraging her to get a second opinion and if they can find a breast cancer center nearby that would be good. I'm so glad I got a second opinion and found my new drs. to be so thorough, knowlegable and experienced. Keep in touch and let us know how she's doing. Hope to meet her soon.

I do know.......
    that she was mis diagnosed for 3 years being told by her Dr that it was a simply benign cyst. I would love to give them some good news and just the simple fact of being here I think will brighten up both of their days....Thank you all...Many Blessings to all of you, Clift
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Hey semi-colon Buzzard!
    You've found my other haunt!!! BOO!

Just kidding....

Stage II here, but mis-diagnosed for, well...hummm...no one is sure...I had this lump for over 10 years, mammo'ed every year...sigh...even after my rectal cancer fight, the docs were amazed that this lump was cancer...and more that it had already infiltrated into the lymph system...

You know my story...NED for years...it's great of you to get them here...the breast cancer board is as active and supportive as the colorectal cancer board...

Hugs, Kathi
  • zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    Options
    Hi Buz.....
    Thank you for standing in the gap for your friends.
    I have no better information or advice than what these ladies have offered as my situation was very different.
    Please encourage your friend's mom to join us here asap.
    Zah.
  • cindyc59
    cindyc59 Member Posts: 44
    Options
    zahalene said:

Hi Buz.....
    I have no better information or advice than what these ladies have offered as my situation was very different.
    Zah.

I was diagnosed with stage
    I was diagnosed with stage 3 advanced. I had 6 cycles of chemo with herceptin every week. My tumor shrunk so much when they did the 2nd pet scan they thought I alreadyhad surgey. I had double masectomy on July 31 with partial reconstruction(trans flap and implants(not enough belly tissue). I am now going through radiation treatment(only 4 more). I will have the herceptin for a year. I am also going to physical therapy and lymphedema therapy. I will have to have 2nd surgery in December because the chest muscles pushed implants and tissue under armpits which isuncomfortable and painful at times.
    I am tired but have also moved and in the midst of a nasty divorce, so I am sure she will fare even better. Asofthesurgery no carcinogens. Had sevral lymph nodes removed but all-no cancer. Blood work- no cancer!
  • cindyc59
    cindyc59 Member Posts: 44
    Options
    zahalene said:

Hi Buz.....
    Zah.

I was diagnosed with stage
    I was diagnosed with stage 3 advanced. I had 6 cycles of chemo with herceptin every week. My tumor shrunk so much when they did the 2nd pet scan they thought I alreadyhad surgey. I had double masectomy on July 31 with partial reconstruction(trans flap and implants(not enough belly tissue). I am now going through radiation treatment(only 4 more). I will have the herceptin for a year. I am also going to physical therapy and lymphedema therapy. I will have to have 2nd surgery in December because the chest muscles pushed implants and tissue under armpits which isuncomfortable and painful at times.
    I am tired but have also moved and in the midst of a nasty divorce, so I am sure she will fare even better. Asofthesurgery no carcinogens. Had sevral lymph nodes removed but all-no cancer. Blood work- no cancer!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Tux said:

Welcome, Buzzard. I am
    Welcome, Buzzard. I am sorry that your friend & his mother are having to go through this.
    I did not have the same diagnosis, but it sounds like the treatment is appropriate for her diagnosis. I wish you & your friends the best...

Just want to say hi Buzzard
    Just want to say hi Buzzard and how very nice of you to be here asking questions for your friend and his mom. Good luck to you and to them.

Sue :)