enlarged thymus gland

Options
straussu
straussu Member Posts: 22
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a total thyroidectomy 15 years ago to treat thyroid cancer. I had a lumpectomy, radiation, and chemotherapy 3 years ago for breast cancer. 2 years ago I had I-131 (high dose of radiation) to treat a recurrence of my thyroid cancer. As a follow up, I had a PET scan last week. All looked normal except my doctor said my thymus gland was enlarged compared to the PET scan from the year before. She said that no follow up was needed and not to worry, but what does this mean? Has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    Sorry I can't help you.
    Sorry I can't help you. Just wanted to let you know that I am here for you. Lynn
  • straussu
    straussu Member Posts: 22
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

Sorry I can't help you.
    Sorry I can't help you. Just wanted to let you know that I am here for you. Lynn

thanks.

thanks.
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Options
    enlarged thymus gland
    From what I can find, chemotherapy can cause enlargement of the thymus in a few individuals. Even having read that, I personally would want more information than "don't worry." I would want to be certain (as certain as medically possible, anyway) that chemo IS the cause and not something else.

How would you feel about making a list of questions for her and going back for further info? Sometimes I just can't think of what I should be asking when confronted with surprising info. If you don't want to pay for an additional visit, you might write the questions out and request that the doctor respond in writing, either via snail mail or by e-mail.

"When you say enlarged, what do you mean? How much bigger?"
    "What could have caused the increase in size?"
    "I know you said that there's nothing to worry about, but what are the possible consequences? Risks?"
    "Are there any tests that might help reassure me that there's nothing to worry about?
    "How often will you check on this--should I have more frequent checks to monitor this?"

Just off the top of my head . . .

Good luck!