My niece and nephew

mom_2_3
mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I was diagnosed at the age of 39 with Stage IV. Who knows how long I had the cancer in my colon....

In any case, once I was diagnosed my niece (24) had a colonoscopy (she had no symptoms but was able to get a colonscopy based on my diagnosis) and she had polyps removed. My nephew (her brother who is 29) just had a colonscopy today and had 2 polyps removed. I am so thankful they had the procedures. More than likely if I had had a colonscopy at 29 they would have found something....

Encourage your family members to scan!!!

Amy

Comments

• Julie 44
    Julie 44 Member Posts: 476 Member
    You are so right
    Hey Amy,
    You are so right to pass the word along..It is so important. Because of my diagnosis both my sisters had a colonoscopy...Everything is fine..I was told to have my daughter who is 18 to have one done at age 20...Maybe by passing the word it will save alot of peoples lifes.....JULIE
  • just4Brooks
    just4Brooks Member Posts: 980 Member
    That's how it works
    That's how it works.. You tell three friends then they tell three friends. Maybe we can stop this
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member

That's how it works
    That's how it works.. You tell three friends then they tell three friends. Maybe we can stop this

is there an age?
    Is there a specific age when children of colon patients should be checked?. Five years ago people said my daughter would be good at 40 but that is obviously way late.
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    maglets said:

is there an age?
    Is there a specific age when children of colon patients should be checked?. Five years ago people said my daughter would be good at 40 but that is obviously way late.

Amy.......
    You most likely saved your niece and nephew the same fate as you are going through...Good for you and great for them to go through with it......Yes, the earlier the colonoscopy I think the quicker the diagnosis or save from diagnosis...I would think that the earlier the better for anyone with a family history.......
  • TLG320
    TLG320 Member Posts: 167
    Early screening is so important
    I hope that early screening will save lives, Amy. At the recommendation of our gastrointerologist and surgeon, my husband (recently diagnosed with cc) and I will be meeting with a genetic counselor once we get through surgery and whatever treatment will be happening afterwards. Hopefully whatever they find will provide guidance to my husband's niece and nephews and the children that we plan on having someday.
    Tashina
  • jenhopesprays
    jenhopesprays Member Posts: 128 Member
    Also diagnosed at 39...
    Wow. So glad they are on the right path with only polyps removed. My oldest is 20. It makes me think she is not to young for a colonoscopy. Hmm....

Wishing you well Amy.

Jen
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    question
    Hi,

Were you diagnosed with the heriditery form of colon cancer? I was tested and was found to not have the genetic form. Does this mean my kids will be ok? I sure hope so and was relieved to be told it's not genetic, BUT I don't want to be negligent in their getting tested early. I was diagnosed stage IV at 41 and my kids are still young- 9, 13, and 16. What do you all think when you're told it's not genetic?

Lisa