Heartburn

Options
Q088suzie
Q088suzie Member Posts: 27
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Anybody bothered with extreme heartburn instead of nausea?? I am on compazine to combat nausea and works wonderfully...but since my second and third rounds of chemo,,,I have about a week of severe heartburn...anyone else going thru this?? Suzie

Comments

• mixtymotions
    mixtymotions Member Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, severe heartburn
    Oh yes, severe heartburn that is painful enough to either prevent me from sleeping, or wakes me up from a sound sleep. Try a slice of a Gala apple. It HAS to be a Gala apple.... It's the only relief I've found yet. Good luck to you!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

Oh yes, severe heartburn
    Oh yes, severe heartburn that is painful enough to either prevent me from sleeping, or wakes me up from a sound sleep. Try a slice of a Gala apple. It HAS to be a Gala apple.... It's the only relief I've found yet. Good luck to you!

yes, it was awful
    yes, it was really bad. I took Prevacid on regular basis and it did help.
  • Goldenguru
    Goldenguru Member Posts: 23
    Options
    After my 2nd and 3rd
    After my 2nd and 3rd treatments I had terrible - walk the floor in pain - heartburn. The doctor put me on daily Prilosec, and it helped very much.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Me too
    Oh yes, right there with you on the heartburn during chemo.

I was already taking over-the-counter Prilosec, and my doctor suggested that I take 2 each morning instead of 1 for the week after chemo when I was getting bad heartburn -- really helped.

Traci
  • always
    always Member Posts: 256
    Options
    Thanks for that question
    Only three days out of first chemo and I kept my husband up all night (trying not to) No way to get comfortable...no walking, sitting nothing. I will try the prilosec and gala apple to I see the doctor.

Becky
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    always said:

Thanks for that question
    Only three days out of first chemo and I kept my husband up all night (trying not to) No way to get comfortable...no walking, sitting nothing. I will try the prilosec and gala apple to I see the doctor.

Becky

Might try a banana
    If you're trying a natural route until you can see your doctor, you might also try a banana.

I've never heard of the Gala apple idea before (hey, whatever works!), though I read an article from The People's Pharmacy awhile back that some people find eating a banana helps with heartburn.

Traci
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    So far no heartburn
    I have acid reflux and have been on Nexium (the purple pill) for several years so I know that is going to be a saving grace for me (I hope). Just had my second chemo yesterday so I am hoping.

Definitely call your onc and ask what is recommened. But you can get over the counter Zantac, Priolsec etc and they should help, or maybe your onc will prescribe one a big stroner.

I hope you get relief soon cause that is horrible tolive with at any time, much less now.

I'll be thinking of you, keep us posted on your progress....

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    Skeezie said:

So far no heartburn
    I have acid reflux and have been on Nexium (the purple pill) for several years so I know that is going to be a saving grace for me (I hope). Just had my second chemo yesterday so I am hoping.

Definitely call your onc and ask what is recommened. But you can get over the counter Zantac, Priolsec etc and they should help, or maybe your onc will prescribe one a big stroner.

I hope you get relief soon cause that is horrible tolive with at any time, much less now.

I'll be thinking of you, keep us posted on your progress....

Hugs, Judy :-)

I also had severe heartburn.
    I also had severe heartburn. My doc prescribed Prilosec and it helped a lot. I take 1 pill a day. You may also want to avoid spicy food. I had a real problem with dairy products, just try eating bland food and that should help. It does go away. Take care
  • Q088suzie
    Q088suzie Member Posts: 27
    Options
    meena1 said:

I also had severe heartburn.
    I also had severe heartburn. My doc prescribed Prilosec and it helped a lot. I take 1 pill a day. You may also want to avoid spicy food. I had a real problem with dairy products, just try eating bland food and that should help. It does go away. Take care

heartburn
    Thanks everyone for your kind advice....I did go to get Prilosec the other night and the store was out, so I got Pepcid which helped a little. I see my onc this week so I might ask him for a precript for Prilosec. I was just relieved to find out it wasn't just me. I guess that is what this site is all about, hey???
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Fresh Ginger
    Hi Q,

I have heartburn too after chemo. I find fresh ginger tea helps relieve the pain. I steep the slivers of ginger in water, add milk, and sugar. It makes for a soothing drink. A natural alternative if you're interested. Good luck with the rest of your treatments.

BL
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    Options

Fresh Ginger
    Hi Q,

I have heartburn too after chemo. I find fresh ginger tea helps relieve the pain. I steep the slivers of ginger in water, add milk, and sugar. It makes for a soothing drink. A natural alternative if you're interested. Good luck with the rest of your treatments.

BL

Thanks Bella Luna
    for the ginger tea idea. I had read it somewhere else too but can't remember where. I'm going to pick up some ginger root this week when I picking up the jello, saltines, boullion, etc. so I'm ready for my first after chemo weekend and don't have to send anyone out. I'm also going to make sure that I have a prescription for the heavy-duty stuff available for me. Lola