I am new to the group

Options
mljac
mljac Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi - I am new to this group. Actually my husband found it and emailed me the link. He says I need to talk to other people that have and has had breast cancer. I was diagnosed 8 years ago at the age of 33. This was during a time between nursing school and graduate school. I was in the hospital when 9/11 happened and my husband was sent to Germany. I had a bilateral mastectomy by choice and did 26 weeks of chemo. Cytoxan, Adriamycin, Taxol & Taxotere. I had terrible bone pain with the chemo and was on a lot of pain meds. I ended up at John's Hopkins Pain Management for help because no one here would listen. They all assumed it was in my head. The doctors at Hopkins referred me to a dr. in Washington D.C. who did Sports Medicine and Alternative Pain Management. Anyway, I'm doing okay, I'm in remission, I finished graduate school, I still have bad days of extreme fatigue but thank God everyday that I am alive and that I beat this terrible disease. I get to see my kids (then 3,8,10 - and now 11, 16, & 18) grow up and move out.

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome mljac. I am
    Hi and welcome mljac. I am sorry that you are here because of bc being in your life, but, you will find a great support group here of bc survivors. Sounds like you have had your hands full. I am glad that you are doing ok now and that you are in remission. It seems that everyone on here at one time or another is suffering from depression and fatigue. I think it goes along with having this disease. I hope to see you posting more and welcome again.

HUGS
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Welcome
    To what we call "the club nobody wants to belong to"!

Glad to hear that your treatments were successful and that you are in remission. There was a recent post about adjusting to the "new normal" that you might find inspiring. There are so many people on these boards that will understand what you've gone through.

I'm only beginning my journey, but I've already found this site to be a great source of information and inspiration and for giving me a true sense of community.

Best wishes,
    Cindy
  • always
    always Member Posts: 256
    Options

Welcome
    To what we call "the club nobody wants to belong to"!

Glad to hear that your treatments were successful and that you are in remission. There was a recent post about adjusting to the "new normal" that you might find inspiring. There are so many people on these boards that will understand what you've gone through.

I'm only beginning my journey, but I've already found this site to be a great source of information and inspiration and for giving me a true sense of community.

Best wishes,
    Cindy

Welcome
    Everyone will tell you none of us want anyone to be here. But there is no better group of wonderful warriors in the world than here. You will find what you need and give more than you realize in the midst of it. Read, and see there are many who know where you have been and will encourage you. The best to you

Becky
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    always said:

Welcome
    Everyone will tell you none of us want anyone to be here. But there is no better group of wonderful warriors in the world than here. You will find what you need and give more than you realize in the midst of it. Read, and see there are many who know where you have been and will encourage you. The best to you

Becky

To bad you didn't find us sooner.
    It has only been since Feb. and I think people think I should be "over it" now that the surgery and radiation are complete. Mine was found at Stage 1 so some have expressed that I was "lucky". Sure, I'm glad it was found early but lucky and cancer really don't go together. I will never look at life the same again. I'm glad you found us. This is a livelong journey and we shouldn't go it alone. I have found a great deal of support and knowledge here.

Roseann
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    Welcome to the club no one
    Welcome to the club no one wants to join. I am glad you have found us--this discussion board is a source of great comfort & much information (& encouragement!). Check back often...
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Hi mljac
    I am so happy to hear from you...It is so great to hear from someone so far out from their original diagnosis. I was diagnosed in april, just finished chemo, and will have herceptin every 3 wks until august...plus I still have reconstruction to do. I am also considering a clinical trial that my oncologist says I may be eligible for...the use of biphosphonates to help prevent bone cancer.

YOu know, cancer was and still is a hard thing to go thru, but life is good. I started jogging 1 wk out of chemo, I am exercising, working in home health as a home care nurse full time and am doing ok.

You give me hope that life can and will continue...we just have to carry on.

Welcome
    Linda T
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    Hi mljac,
    glad that your husband steered you in this direction!He obviously really cares for you and your well being.
    I was diagnosed 2 years ago and mentally doing well,physically still trying to gain my energy back.
    I'm glad that you are in remission!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

Hi mljac,
    glad that your husband steered you in this direction!He obviously really cares for you and your well being.
    I was diagnosed 2 years ago and mentally doing well,physically still trying to gain my energy back.
    I'm glad that you are in remission!

Hi and welcome mljac! I had
    Hi and welcome mljac! I had a lumpectomy and rads this year. I am still tired from the rads, but, that can last a long time. Hoping to read more of your posts!

KYLEZ ♥
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Kylez said:

Hi and welcome mljac! I had
    Hi and welcome mljac! I had a lumpectomy and rads this year. I am still tired from the rads, but, that can last a long time. Hoping to read more of your posts!

KYLEZ ♥

How long ago did you finish
    How long ago did you finish your RADS? I've only had 5 so far, but I am tired from the pain from my hernia. I take a nap whenever I can. But, I was tired even before that.
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    Options
    Welcome!
    So glad you found us! I had my diagnosis and surgery earlier this year - before I found this site and wished I'd seen it while I was going through all that - but I'm 2 months out now since my last chemo and am so glad to have found it! Everyone is so kind and just knowing we are not alone, helps so very much. Did you or are you taking tamoxifen now - I know some of us take that for 5 years or so?
    I'm glad you're doing well -
    Jenny
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

Welcome!
    So glad you found us! I had my diagnosis and surgery earlier this year - before I found this site and wished I'd seen it while I was going through all that - but I'm 2 months out now since my last chemo and am so glad to have found it! Everyone is so kind and just knowing we are not alone, helps so very much. Did you or are you taking tamoxifen now - I know some of us take that for 5 years or so?
    I'm glad you're doing well -
    Jenny

Congrats on finishing chemo
    Congrats on finishing chemo Jenny!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Congrats on finishing chemo
    Congrats on finishing chemo Jenny!

Just want to offer my
    Just want to offer my welcome to you also!

Debby
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    DebbyM said:

Just want to offer my
    Just want to offer my welcome to you also!

Debby

welcome
    to you hun XXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Glad you are still around to
    Glad you are still around to see your kids grow up and move out. I know this is a big fear of all mothers that they won't be around to see this. I was diagnosed in 2003 as a stage 3a.