Mom got the all clear!!!

fighting for mom
fighting for mom Member Posts: 96
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I tried to update my post but it is now in the land of the lost.

Just wanted to update that Mom's colonoscopy this am was good- an all clear!!! We are so thankful for such good news. They told her she doesn't need another for 3 years. Does that sound right? I would think she should have one every year for a while. Any thoughts?

One test down/ one to go- CT on Nov. 10th. We are very optomistic for more good news.

She said that even with her 'twilight' meds she was awake during the colonoscopy and was talking with the Dr. and he was explaining things. Kinda freaky. She said it was a little wierd but no pain or anything. She was glad to be able to see everything and got to see where the re-section was and all.

What an awesome blessing- so much to be Thankful for!!

Susan

Comments

• TLG320
    TLG320 Member Posts: 167
    Wonderful News!
    Such great news, Susan! My husband (42) and I have just started this journey. He's scheduled for surgery on the 9th of Nov. At our meeting with his gastrointerologist last week, we were told that my husband would be getting a colonoscopy every year for the first few years after we get through surgery and whatever other treatment he needs. He does have a family history of colon cancer and we will also be meeting with a genetic counselor once we get through the next few months.

Take care and your mom is in my prayers. I hope the CT scan is completely clear!
    Tashina
  • Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Congratulations!I am hoping
    Congratulations!I am hoping the CT scan will be very very clear too!
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    That's great
    I was told I would have my next colonoscopy 3 years after the last. Glad your mom got the all clear!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • pf78248
    pf78248 Member Posts: 209
    Great news!
    Susan,
    My husband David (Stage 4 with one met to the liver, dx stage 3 in 4-08, stage 4 in 1-09) has had his first colonoscopy since his colon surgery and he, too, was awake and talked with the gastro doctor the whole time. He got to see where his tumor was and found it all fascinating. He said he thinks he asked some of the questions more than once and the doctor had to tell him he'd already answered that! So the twilight drug does have an effect even though you are "awake". That's great your Mom's went so well.

David was also told he didn't have to have another colonoscopy for three years. I believe it's because those polyps take several years to develop into cancer (at least for most patients). So I think that's not at all unusual for her to have a three year interval.

She's so lucky and blessed to you a daughter like you. Best wishes to both of you! I am in awe of this board and the great cancer survivors and care givers on it.

Hugs,
    Priscilla
  • ittapp
    ittapp Member Posts: 383 Member
    Awesome news, sooo happy to
    Awesome news, sooo happy to hear good news!! Patti
  • Joy1216
    Joy1216 Member Posts: 290 Member
    Follow-up colonoscopies
    My colon resection was in March of 2006. I had a colonoscopy six months after surgery and another one in October of 2007. Both were clear. Now I am on what I call the 3-year plan. My next colonoscopy will be in October of next year. It's a little disconcerting to wait three years, but my annual physicals are geared to looking for recurrence of my colon cancer so I'll just wait till next fall.
    Joy
  • fighting for mom
    fighting for mom Member Posts: 96
    Joy1216 said:

Follow-up colonoscopies
    My colon resection was in March of 2006. I had a colonoscopy six months after surgery and another one in October of 2007. Both were clear. Now I am on what I call the 3-year plan. My next colonoscopy will be in October of next year. It's a little disconcerting to wait three years, but my annual physicals are geared to looking for recurrence of my colon cancer so I'll just wait till next fall.
    Joy

Thank you!
    Thank you so much for the congrats! Thanks also for confirming the 3 year follow up colonoscopy is not so much out of the norm. I know she will be watching for the symptoms- and can always get one sooner if needed, but I just about panicked when they said nothing for 3 years. All of you have given me that big sigh of relief that I needed.

I sure appreciate all of the encouragement. It has been a long year of battling for her and us. I know the battle is never over but am so thankful for the 'rest break' and good news.

I will keep you posed on the body scan on the 10th.

Thanks

Susan