Any other "Rad Girls" out there?

Options
TraciInLA
TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
So AnneFrank will be starting rads just before Thanksgiving, I'm now on schedule to start the week of November 9th....Anyone else out there about to start rads with us? We can't let the "Chemo Chicks" have all the "fun"!

:-) Traci

Comments

• outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    Ooops
    I thought you were talking about the Rad B's!I'm sure you will find others,Traci!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Traci, I'm with you. I went
    Traci, I'm with you. I went yesterday for my CT scan and should go back sometime next week for the final session before radiation. I should start on the 9th, too. I told my doctor my goal was to be completed with this phase by the end of the year.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Traci, I'm with you. I went
    Traci, I'm with you. I went yesterday for my CT scan and should go back sometime next week for the final session before radiation. I should start on the 9th, too. I told my doctor my goal was to be completed with this phase by the end of the year.

Me too
    ...but I'm not sure I'll quite be able to do it.

I'm having 33 treatments (28 regular + 5 boosters), and I counted it up on the calendar -- assuming that they're probably not willing to open the office on Thanksgiving and Christmas just for me :-), I may not quite make it by the end of the year. How many treatments are you having?

Traci
  • MyTurnNow
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Me too
    ...but I'm not sure I'll quite be able to do it.

I'm having 33 treatments (28 regular + 5 boosters), and I counted it up on the calendar -- assuming that they're probably not willing to open the office on Thanksgiving and Christmas just for me :-), I may not quite make it by the end of the year. How many treatments are you having?

Traci

All I know right now is
    All I know right now is 6-1/2 weeks of treatments. This sounds to me like 33 treatments, too. When I go back in after they review the CT scan and set up the treatment plan, I'll have a better idea on the numbers. I may not make it either by the end of the year but if I'm counting the days correctly, I should just squeak in by the last week of December. I'm just ready to get this over.
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I'll be getting my 5th RAD
    I'll be getting my 5th RAD today. My time has been 11:20. Next week I'll have the 9:30 spot which will be easier, I'll get my grandson off to school and I'll go down to where I'm getting my treatments. I'm halfway there from my grandson's. I have off Thanksgiving and the Friday after. My RADS should run to the 8th of December.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Best WISHES Rad GIRLS!
    Go Get 'em! I wish all of you the best! Believe it or not, and it's easy for me to say, but it will be over before you know it......it seems forever I know. IT took me longer to drive to the center......each of my sessions were less than 5 minutes.....the boosters were a 40 SECOND "beam!" In and out! I finished this morning, 33 treatments, the last 7, boosters.....I am lucky, no blistering....but I have one "tan" boob! Also found out that we continue to "cook" for about two more weeks....I am now using the prescription Biafine......that they gave me.....it's wonderful....used Radiaplex before the Biafine.....I much prefer the Biafine.....Now I can use what ever I want......follow the advice of our rad's oncologist, though.
    Best wishes, RAD GIRLS! YOU CAN DO IT!
  • MyTurnNow
    Options
    MAJW said:

Best WISHES Rad GIRLS!
    Go Get 'em! I wish all of you the best! Believe it or not, and it's easy for me to say, but it will be over before you know it......it seems forever I know. IT took me longer to drive to the center......each of my sessions were less than 5 minutes.....the boosters were a 40 SECOND "beam!" In and out! I finished this morning, 33 treatments, the last 7, boosters.....I am lucky, no blistering....but I have one "tan" boob! Also found out that we continue to "cook" for about two more weeks....I am now using the prescription Biafine......that they gave me.....it's wonderful....used Radiaplex before the Biafine.....I much prefer the Biafine.....Now I can use what ever I want......follow the advice of our rad's oncologist, though.
    Best wishes, RAD GIRLS! YOU CAN DO IT!

Thanks, MAJW. I have been
    Thanks, MAJW. I have been right behind you in my treatments since I joined this site. I think you were one of the first people to respond to me. I have followed you along and am really happy for you that you are finished. Do you now have to start the 5-year pill? I'll be doing that once I start/finish with rads. Again, congratulations!!
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Thanks, MAJW. I have been
    Thanks, MAJW. I have been right behind you in my treatments since I joined this site. I think you were one of the first people to respond to me. I have followed you along and am really happy for you that you are finished. Do you now have to start the 5-year pill? I'll be doing that once I start/finish with rads. Again, congratulations!!

No Tamoxifin......
    I will not be taking anything.....My tumor was not Estrogen receptive, so Tamoxifin nor Herceptin will not help me.... Thank you so much for you "congrats!" IT feels great, after 7 months to be finsihed with all treatment...I am now going to reclaim my life! My two oncologists have told me I have an excellent prognosis....from their lips to God's ear! I am considered in remission...........YAHOOOOOOOOO And you will be too.......all you girls!
    Best wishes and if I can help anyone in anyway get through your rads, let me know....
    Hugs
    Nancy
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

No Tamoxifin......
    I will not be taking anything.....My tumor was not Estrogen receptive, so Tamoxifin nor Herceptin will not help me.... Thank you so much for you "congrats!" IT feels great, after 7 months to be finsihed with all treatment...I am now going to reclaim my life! My two oncologists have told me I have an excellent prognosis....from their lips to God's ear! I am considered in remission...........YAHOOOOOOOOO And you will be too.......all you girls!
    Best wishes and if I can help anyone in anyway get through your rads, let me know....
    Hugs
    Nancy

Good luck to all of you in
    Good luck to all of you in your adventure with rads! WE are ALL here to help you!

Kylez
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I will be joining you
    But I don't know when yet. I'll be seeing my oncologist on the 10th and hopefully will have a better idea then.

Keep posting to let us know how yours is going

Good luck to all of us!!
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Options
    MAJW said:

No Tamoxifin......
    Hugs
    Nancy

Congrats Nancy -
    I am so glad you are finished with your rads. And ladies, it does seem to go fast once you start. When they told me 6 and a half weeks, I wanted to cry, but you go at the same time each day and meet the nicest people who you will see every day and rejoice with them when they are done and talk to the newbies. I miss the ladies at the Cancer Center and wonder about them all the time.

I have a question - I finished rads the beginning of June. Just recently the muscles in and around the breast (what's left of it) are sore. I know they told me that radiation causes bone deterioration and some of the soreness seems to be in that area, the top of my rib cage. I noticed that this is my right side, and the arm I use to drive, to open windows, doors, carry most packages. I wonder if I did something or if this is normal in the months after radiation.

Pat
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    Options
    I started last week.
    I had my 8th treatment today. I'm supposed to have 34 all together - 29 regular and 5 boosters. If all goes well (They are closed on Thanksgiving) I will finished on December 7th. They told me I can take the day after Thanksgiving off too if I want to, but I'm going to wait and see how I feel.

So far it's pretty easy. I have the 8 AM appointment and then it's off to work. No redness or fatigue yet.

Debbie
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

No Tamoxifin......
    Hugs
    Nancy

Saying good luck too
    I just want to add my good luck to all of you starting rads. Let any of us know if you have questions. Always use lots of your creams and rest! That is the best advice!

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    padee6339 said:

Congrats Nancy -
    I am so glad you are finished with your rads. And ladies, it does seem to go fast once you start. When they told me 6 and a half weeks, I wanted to cry, but you go at the same time each day and meet the nicest people who you will see every day and rejoice with them when they are done and talk to the newbies. I miss the ladies at the Cancer Center and wonder about them all the time.

I have a question - I finished rads the beginning of June. Just recently the muscles in and around the breast (what's left of it) are sore. I know they told me that radiation causes bone deterioration and some of the soreness seems to be in that area, the top of my rib cage. I noticed that this is my right side, and the arm I use to drive, to open windows, doors, carry most packages. I wonder if I did something or if this is normal in the months after radiation.

Pat

Muscle pain around breast
    Pat,

I also finished radiation in June and I have the same kind of pain that you mention. It's slight in my case, but noticeable. My radiation oncologist suggested range of motion exercises to stretch those muscles. She says that it is not uncommon to have shoulder problems and such after rads, too, so be careful of that as well. Hope it gets better for you.

Mimi
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    mickeymom said:

I started last week.
    I had my 8th treatment today. I'm supposed to have 34 all together - 29 regular and 5 boosters. If all goes well (They are closed on Thanksgiving) I will finished on December 7th. They told me I can take the day after Thanksgiving off too if I want to, but I'm going to wait and see how I feel.

So far it's pretty easy. I have the 8 AM appointment and then it's off to work. No redness or fatigue yet.

Debbie

Just want to wish
    you all the very best of luck! you can do it! you strong and beautiful warrior survivors and I love you.
    Jackie
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    i'm in!
    Hi Tracey,

Yes, it looks like rads is the road I am going to travel down. I have my first appt. on November 9th so I have no idea how many treatments or when they will start. You're ahead of me, but I'm following closely down that road.

Not looking forward to it, but thankful for those who have gone before and knowing what they've gone through at least takes the mystery and a lot of the fear out of it. And "All I want for Christmas is to be done with rads!" :)

take care,
    dh
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Options
    24 and counting.....
    Hi.

I'm on rad 24 and was told yesterday that I only have 4 MORE! My doctor told me that my skin is getting the reaction they wanted and that I won't need the boosters.

I just don't know what I'm going to do every morning before work after next Thursday when I don't need to drive an hour each way to rads. Maybe I can sleep longer.......zzzzz

Good luck everyone who is starting. It's not bad and when it is over you will feel better that you've done more to protect yourself from reoccurance.
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    Wolfi said:

24 and counting.....
    Hi.

I'm on rad 24 and was told yesterday that I only have 4 MORE! My doctor told me that my skin is getting the reaction they wanted and that I won't need the boosters.

I just don't know what I'm going to do every morning before work after next Thursday when I don't need to drive an hour each way to rads. Maybe I can sleep longer.......zzzzz

Good luck everyone who is starting. It's not bad and when it is over you will feel better that you've done more to protect yourself from reoccurance.

Wolfi,
    I'm going to have to

Wolfi,

I'm going to have to drive an hour to rads too. With the weather getting yucky, def. not looking forward to it!

But, I've read others besides you that have driven that far, so I can do it too! :)

Congratulations on being almost done and enjoy those zzzzzzzzzz's.!

Take care,
    dh