Halfway through RADS-update

Options
elm3544
elm3544 Member Posts: 748
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
As of today I am half way through! I don't have to have boosts, since I had 6 Brachytherapy treatments before chemo. So far the only place I am burning is on the incision scars. Otherwise my skin is only slightly pink.
They gave me little tubes of Aquaphor but the Dr also told me about Cetaphil, which I found that I like more. I can feel a little pain where the tumor cavity is. I was told this is probably fluid. Once I finish RADS they will do an ultrasound to see if that is the case and if so will use a needle to draw it out. I told him I think I'd rather pass on that! He said "its only a needle" then he laughed and said " I guess that's easy for ME to say"
As for my Neuropathy, I was given a prescription for Gabapentin which I am to take 3x per day. It has some side effects that I am not happy with but I only started today. Hopefully it won't be too bad. The Dr was concerned because he could see swelling in my hands. He also said it is unusual for the pain and numbness to be worse on one side and for it to become worse with certain activities. He has referred me to a Neurologist.

Comments

• natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Elm I wish you well with the
    Elm I wish you well with the neurologist. I enjoyed reading your post. It's the first I have read on radiation. I just finished my 2nd round of chemo and have a long way to go, but it is so good to get all this info. Wishing the best possible outcome with your neuropathy.
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Options
    natly15 said:

Elm I wish you well with the
    Elm I wish you well with the neurologist. I enjoyed reading your post. It's the first I have read on radiation. I just finished my 2nd round of chemo and have a long way to go, but it is so good to get all this info. Wishing the best possible outcome with your neuropathy.

Thank you, Natly. Good luck
    Thank you, Natly. Good luck to you as well! It will be over before you know it.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update!
    Good to know how others react as I anticipate my radiation. Thanks so much for sharing.

Hope it continues to go well for you and that your neuropathy is address as well.

Take care,
    Cindy
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options

Thanks for the update!
    Good to know how others react as I anticipate my radiation. Thanks so much for sharing.

Hope it continues to go well for you and that your neuropathy is address as well.

Take care,
    Cindy

I completed my rads in May
    I completed my rads in May and it got a little rough at the end. Remember to ask for creme if your burns get worse, the prescription cremes work really well. They also gave me these gel pads that were very cooling and helped alot. It was also tiring, so rest, rest, rest. Take care, and you will get through this.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Half way done....YEAH ELM!
    Hang on! Light at the end of the tunnel.....YEAH! It's a great feeling isn't it? You've done it.... When you're all finished, pat yourself on the back and honk your own horn! Be very, very proud of yourself.....we're stronger than we thought....

My exit of the tunnel is tomorrow.......my last rad treatment, last 7 have been boosters. You'll be there before you know it, although I know it doesn't always seem that way..I thought the end of 6 1/2 weeks would never get here and BOOM, it's tomorrow! IT's a long journey to get to this point......it's been almost 8 months for me, since dx, lumpectomy, chemo then radiation. But come tomorrow morning, I am RECLAIMING MY LIFE! I have only had miminal problems with rads.....redness of course, that has now turned "DARK TAN" a funky colored "nippie" and itching.....but even that has subsided. They changed my presciption topical ointment from RadiaPlex to Biafine......

I wish you the best as you complete your treatment plan......YOU'RE STRONG AND BRAVE!
    Peace be with you
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Halfway done is huge, elm...
    Glad rads haven't been too bad, so far. Hope it continues to be so for you, until the now not too far away end.

Though I am sorry for the complications.

And hoping the new meds work well for your neuropathy, without the SEs.