Incontinance during chemo week

Options
laurissa
laurissa Member Posts: 773
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I don't know if it's the steroid or what, but I'm having urine incontinance from something. There's just no making it to the bathroom. I'm going through underpants right and left. I did this last chemo, too. Anyone else or is it just me?

Comments

• fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    I didn't have chemo so I
    I didn't have chemo so I can't answer if it is chemo related, but I had problems while I did pelvic radiation. Poise makes great pads in various sizes that will help spare the panties and help you feel more confident. But definitely bring it up to your oncologists. This needs to be looked into.
    Stef
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Hi Laurissa
    Any chance you could have a urinary tract infection? Sometimes that causes incontinence. Watch for pain, burning, bleeding and frequency. Maybe your oncologist will order a urine specimen to check. Also constipation can cause incontinence so make sure your bowels are ok.

I know I have had homecare patients who have had neurological problems and they have issues with incontinence. Some chemos cause neuorpathy, but my chemo or steroids didnt cause incontinence. STeroids can increase your blood sugar and that could cause urinary frequency. Best to ask the doc. YOu could also try the kegal exercises which can help too.

Hang in there
    Linda T
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi Laurissa
    Any chance you could have a urinary tract infection? Sometimes that causes incontinence. Watch for pain, burning, bleeding and frequency. Maybe your oncologist will order a urine specimen to check. Also constipation can cause incontinence so make sure your bowels are ok.

I know I have had homecare patients who have had neurological problems and they have issues with incontinence. Some chemos cause neuorpathy, but my chemo or steroids didnt cause incontinence. STeroids can increase your blood sugar and that could cause urinary frequency. Best to ask the doc. YOu could also try the kegal exercises which can help too.

Hang in there
    Linda T

No .. I can't say I've experience this ...
    I am so sorry .. But I think I would contact my onc, and ask if there is medication or exercise to try and control the incontinence. Perhaps, you have a urinary track infection?

VickiSam
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    Options
    I've had incontinence issues
    I've had incontinence issues for the last 10 years. Poise pads are great but only but a "bandaid" pardon the pun on the issue. I finally had to go to a urologist and was placed on meds. This is all pre-BC. The 2 types out there that I've been on are Vesicare (which my insurance won't cover now) and the Detral LA which it does. It actually works better for me.
    But I agree with the others. Check with your doctor. Maybe one of the other meds needs to be adjusted or it is a symptom of something else.
    That feeling of "gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now" is more than a fancy slogan, it's real and really a pain.
    Hope you can get a quick resolution to this. Lola
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

I've had incontinence issues
    I've had incontinence issues for the last 10 years. Poise pads are great but only but a "bandaid" pardon the pun on the issue. I finally had to go to a urologist and was placed on meds. This is all pre-BC. The 2 types out there that I've been on are Vesicare (which my insurance won't cover now) and the Detral LA which it does. It actually works better for me.
    But I agree with the others. Check with your doctor. Maybe one of the other meds needs to be adjusted or it is a symptom of something else.
    That feeling of "gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now" is more than a fancy slogan, it's real and really a pain.
    Hope you can get a quick resolution to this. Lola

Hi Laurissa,
    i am sorry and

Hi Laurissa,
    i am sorry and think that everything what has been happening is related to Chemo. Call your oncologist and ask for help.
    Hugs
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Hi, Laurissa. I did not
    Hi, Laurissa. I did not have this problem but agree with the other replies to contact your onc. Something is not right and better to be safe than sorry. Best of luck.
  • j916
    j916 Member Posts: 141
    Options
    YES
    i did have that problem, and have never had it before, and haen't had it since chemo stopped. I finally bought the mini pads especially made for urine "issues"...immensly helped. might be worth looking into! :)
    good luck, and this too shall end !
    Jeanne
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    Options
    j916 said:

YES
    i did have that problem, and have never had it before, and haen't had it since chemo stopped. I finally bought the mini pads especially made for urine "issues"...immensly helped. might be worth looking into! :)
    good luck, and this too shall end !
    Jeanne

Im having the same problem
    Im having the same problem with incontinence, just cant seem to make it to the bathroom. Im also up about every 2-3 hours during the night to go to bathroom, but im also taking in alot of fluid also while in on chemo.
    Deb
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Never had this
    Never had this problem....best to check with your oncologist for possible infection.......BUT you've had tons of fluids pumped into you and hopefully you are drinking tons....that could be some of it......hate that you're having this problem
    Hugs
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

Never had this
    Never had this problem....best to check with your oncologist for possible infection.......BUT you've had tons of fluids pumped into you and hopefully you are drinking tons....that could be some of it......hate that you're having this problem
    Hugs

Maybe its the cytoxan it can
    Maybe its the cytoxan it can irritate your bladder. I notice its harder to hold, and I noticed it 15 years ago when I had it then too.