First Chemo

Options
always
always Member Posts: 256
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
First Chemo Wednesday. Taxotere and Cytoxan 4 treatments every three weeks. Then Radiation. Final DX triple negative stage 2a. The Pet Scan, Bone Scan okay. So no metasis (spelling?) The tumors on my bones are begnin bone islands- painful but not cancerous and the spots on my liver - best guess hemangeoma. I should be scared about Wednesday. Right now I am just relieved we are finally moving through the process with some answers. Any advise? I am staying optomistic. Knowing so many wonderful people have conquered and accomplished this before me helps make it easier. Should I eat Wednesday morning...or will having food in my stomach be worse?

Comments

• natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    I'm pretty new at this, if
    I'm pretty new at this, if all goes well tomorrow I will have my 2nd round of chemo. I dont think I had breakfast day of first chemo, I was just too nervous about the unknown. At my first chemo 3 weeks ago there were 2 ladies sitting across from me getting their chemo and they were talking, laughing and drinking coffee. I saw that and said I can do this. About half way thru I became very hungry. My husband went out and got me a tuna sub which I ate while I was getting my chemo. Everyone is so different tho. I'd say listen to your body. Hope this helps some. Wishing you the best on Wednesday. I'll say a prayer for you.
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Options
    I take the same for 6
    I take the same for 6 rounds. It's ok and I do eat-before, during and after. Days 3-6 is when I feel effects. You'll get through it. It's the day after my 2nd and I feel like I could have went to work, but didn't. I go for leunasta shot today. Good luck Wednesday. Don't be scared.
  • always
    Options
    laurissa said:

I take the same for 6
    I take the same for 6 rounds. It's ok and I do eat-before, during and after. Days 3-6 is when I feel effects. You'll get through it. It's the day after my 2nd and I feel like I could have went to work, but didn't. I go for leunasta shot today. Good luck Wednesday. Don't be scared.

Thanks both of you
    Thanks Natly15 and Laurissa. I will try to stay calm. I plan on working on Monday. That is day 5 so I hope I can manage it. I will keep you informed. Good luck on rounds 2 and 3 for both of you. My prayers will be with you both.

Becky
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    Options
    always said:

Thanks both of you
    Thanks Natly15 and Laurissa. I will try to stay calm. I plan on working on Monday. That is day 5 so I hope I can manage it. I will keep you informed. Good luck on rounds 2 and 3 for both of you. My prayers will be with you both.

Becky

Hi Becky
    Good luck tomorrow....I know you will do well. I recommend drinking lots and lots of water. Start now if you havent already and continue to drink thru treatment and after. This will keep you hydrated and flush the system. YES..eat. I always eat a big meal before or sometimes during treatment. I have never gotten nautious...they recommend this to avoid getting sick. Stay positive...you will be fine girlfriend. We are all here for you!!
    Sam
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Options
    Good Morning Always :)
    I just finished my 4th round of Adriamycin/Cytoxan. The first treatment I didn't eat because I was anxious as you are. I ate for the next three, I think a light healthy breakfast is a good idea, chemo on an empty stomach was not good for me. I was scared as all get out and then once I got there I thought "what the heck was I so scared for". Your feelings are totally normal but know, your going to be ok, you can do this, and we are here for you anytime, day or night. I look at every treatment as one step closer to beating this and getting my life back, this helps me (I have 12 treatments to go before surgery and radiation). My thoughts and prayers are with you!!! You can do this and your going to be ok!!!
    ((HUGS))
    Kari
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Hi, Always. I just finished
    Hi, Always. I just finished the same treatment plan you're about to start. I always ate a little something, usually oatmeal, the morning of chemo. I didn't experience any nauseau due to the pre-meds they give you. It was scary the first time for me too but you'll soon find out that it's not nearly as bad as you think it will be. The worst part of it for me was the amount of time it took, approximately 3-4 hours. Like other's have said, be sure to drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated and to flush your system. If you do not have a port, do not drink coffee the morning of chemo, it tends to constrict your veins. Drink plenty of water to "plump" up the veins. Best of luck to you, it is all very doable. I will meet with the radiation oncologist tomorrow and get set up for that portion of my treatment. Keep in touch with us here and let us know how it is going. Take care.
  • stevie178
    stevie178 Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Always
    Always , my wife was in your same boat and did not eat before her first chemo treatment but the nurse was a little insistent that she eat something even if it was light . She is stubborn but so wasn't the nurse !!! ......score one for the husband....lol. Gram crackers and tea with honey seemed to sit just fine in her but when we were done we went out for Chinese food .....just no scorpion bowl . Your concerns are no more or less then what we are all going through and I not even the one personally fighting this battle , my wife is but I will be by her side to see this through . We are both grateful to have all of you to share our concerns and questions with so keep that positive outlook and I know you will be just fine.

Best Wishes

Steve & Teresa
  • always
    Options
    stevie178 said:

Always
    Always , my wife was in your same boat and did not eat before her first chemo treatment but the nurse was a little insistent that she eat something even if it was light . She is stubborn but so wasn't the nurse !!! ......score one for the husband....lol. Gram crackers and tea with honey seemed to sit just fine in her but when we were done we went out for Chinese food .....just no scorpion bowl . Your concerns are no more or less then what we are all going through and I not even the one personally fighting this battle , my wife is but I will be by her side to see this through . We are both grateful to have all of you to share our concerns and questions with so keep that positive outlook and I know you will be just fine.

Best Wishes

Steve & Teresa

Thnks to all of you
    I have to get ready to leave. Planned on stopping with hubby for some oatmeal and toast on the way. Sounds like that fits in well with all the advise. I do have a port so I will get to enjoy a coffee. The drinking water part will be very doable for me. I love water and drink it all day. So I should be able to stay on top of that. I am so greatful you all are here. I wish everyone of you never had to be here...sort of messed up that I am wishing you gone and glad you are here. I know you all understand the sentiment. Thanks...I will keep you posted and look for advise if I need more. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Becky
  • always
    Options
    always said:

Thnks to all of you
    I have to get ready to leave. Planned on stopping with hubby for some oatmeal and toast on the way. Sounds like that fits in well with all the advise. I do have a port so I will get to enjoy a coffee. The drinking water part will be very doable for me. I love water and drink it all day. So I should be able to stay on top of that. I am so greatful you all are here. I wish everyone of you never had to be here...sort of messed up that I am wishing you gone and glad you are here. I know you all understand the sentiment. Thanks...I will keep you posted and look for advise if I need more. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Becky

back from First Chemo
    Got done about four hours ago. I was there for 7 hours. Should be less time next go around. So far my eyes burn, I am drained, little nausea. Will wait and see what comes next. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for all the support.

Becky
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    always said:

back from First Chemo
    Got done about four hours ago. I was there for 7 hours. Should be less time next go around. So far my eyes burn, I am drained, little nausea. Will wait and see what comes next. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for all the support.

Becky

Good for you!
    Now at least the fear of the unknown is behind you, and more importantly you're one step closer to dancing with NED!

Take good care of youself,
    Cindy
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    HI always
    I just finished chemo about 3 wks ago and I was really scared for the first treatment too, but the oncology nurses are really great and it was really nothing like I thought it would be. Take a good book along or maybe an ipod and relax and enjoy time to sit back.

By the way, I have a 4mm spot on my liver and I have had 3 doctors tell me that they think its a hemangioma as well. Did they test you to determine yours were hemangiomas as well or did they just give you there best guess. I kinda been stewing over that.

Thanks and by the way, good luck; I know you will do well

Hugs
    Linda T
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    mlmjt1 said:

HI always
    I just finished chemo about 3 wks ago and I was really scared for the first treatment too, but the oncology nurses are really great and it was really nothing like I thought it would be. Take a good book along or maybe an ipod and relax and enjoy time to sit back.

By the way, I have a 4mm spot on my liver and I have had 3 doctors tell me that they think its a hemangioma as well. Did they test you to determine yours were hemangiomas as well or did they just give you there best guess. I kinda been stewing over that.

Thanks and by the way, good luck; I know you will do well

Hugs
    Linda T

Always - You are now a Chemo Queen
    Best of luck with your first, 2nd etc chemo treatment. Eat, bring someone fun with you if possible - and stay hydrated. Notebook is need to journal all side efforts - report anything funny .. to oncologist and staff - my suggestion -- have telephone # on speed dial.

When you get back home, be kind to yourself. Don't over do anything and most importantly -eat. When you have energy - do things that need to get done, otherwise let everything else go for another day.

Stay in touch ..

Courage and Love,

VickiSam