Chemotherapy time? Port?

Aliaslisa
Aliaslisa Member Posts: 16 Member
edited September 2022 in Breast Cancer #1
How long does it take to get Chemotherapy? What I mean is, once you get to the treatment center and they hook you up, how long do you sit there with the IV drip?

I was diagnosed July 24. I was living in San Diego and the oncologist I was "assigned" to by my insurance was a complete ****. I am now in Los Angeles and have a great doctor. I am to start Chemo as soon as they can set me up with a port.

That's another question: How long after getting a port installed do you wait before they start using it for Chemotherapy? Thanks in advance to everyone that replies. Lisa

Comments

• tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    chemo and port
    Lisa,
    As for the time it takes for chemo it all depends on the type of chemo you have and how the oncologist writes it for.

As for the port I had mine for a week before chemo started but other had theirs for a day or two before chemo started.

Margo
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Chemo and Port
    Hi Lisa,
    Chemo: I just finished Adriamycin/Cytoxan and it took about 3 hours. But as Margo stated, it all depends on your chemo, every kind is different.
    Port: I had my port for about a week and a half before I started chemo. I do know of a gal I was in chemo with who only had hers for a couple days. I believe they are accessible right away.
    I'm super glad you found a different doctor, keep us posted and hang in there!!
    Kari
  • jolenew
    jolenew Member Posts: 38
    port
    hi lisa, your chemo time varies depending on the drugs, weight, etc, so be patient as it will seem like FOREVER in that chair, we tried trivia to pass the time as there was only a radio, anything helps, try a good book. Also they can use the port right away, it was a little less than a week for me.

good luck
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    jolenew said:

port
    hi lisa, your chemo time varies depending on the drugs, weight, etc, so be patient as it will seem like FOREVER in that chair, we tried trivia to pass the time as there was only a radio, anything helps, try a good book. Also they can use the port right away, it was a little less than a week for me.

good luck

Hi Lisa, My first 4 rounds
    Hi Lisa, My first 4 rounds did not take to long at all. Now it's about 2 hours. They have TV sets or bring something to do. Bring lunch if you want. Good luck
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    My chemo only took 2
    My chemo only took 2 hours... i would bring mags to read.. a friend to chat with .. and watch tv...

your port can be used the same day it is placed....
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    My port was installed the
    My port was installed the morning of Aug. 25th (09) and chemo (A/C) started the next afternoon. The A/C took between 1 1/2 and 2 hrs for me. The first part of Nov.I will be starting a different one that is supposed to take about 5 hrs.
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Hi Lisa
    I had my port put in on a Monday, and Friday was the first chemo. I received Taxotere/Carboplaten and it only took about 2 hours. My oncologist had the chairs set up in her office and each room had a TV with DVD's and video tapes. It would take one movie for my chemo to be done. The port was wonderful, no arm sticking. The only hitch was - to the hospital for the lumpectomy, one for insertion of the port, one for the removal of the port. I got to know the nurses in there pretty well. :-)
    Hugs - Pat
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    padee6339 said:

Hi Lisa
    I had my port put in on a Monday, and Friday was the first chemo. I received Taxotere/Carboplaten and it only took about 2 hours. My oncologist had the chairs set up in her office and each room had a TV with DVD's and video tapes. It would take one movie for my chemo to be done. The port was wonderful, no arm sticking. The only hitch was - to the hospital for the lumpectomy, one for insertion of the port, one for the removal of the port. I got to know the nurses in there pretty well. :-)
    Hugs - Pat

I had my port put in on a
    I had my port put in on a Monday and used it for chemo on Wednesday. My first chemo was Adriamycin/Cytoxen which took over 4 hours, they run it slow to make sure you dont have a reaction. On the 2nd and 3rd chemos took about 2 hours, which includes Iv steroid and nausea med.
    Deb
  • TBullwinkle
    TBullwinkle Member Posts: 7 Member

Hi there! I got my port installed and used it the next day.

As for how long chemo takes, it all depends on the type of chemo. Mine took 4 hours.

• gina0626
    gina0626 Member Posts: 2 Member

im petrified i have to get my port in on tuesday. The drugs they are using is taxotere/carboplatin/herceptin/perjeta.i I keep hearing horror stories . please someone help me with this because i already want to quit and i haven't even started:(

• Calalily
    Calalily Member Posts: 1 *

Hello every one, I was diagnosed with invasive carcinoma in situ stage 1 with estrogen and progentrone hormone receptors positive breast cancer. The process is slow.... I have completed the lumpectomy 3 weeks ago and did fine. I was able to drive my mom to her physical therapy appointment three days after. I didn't have pain enought to take a tylenol. I was happy about that. I just had my radiation consult to get that started.

I heard that the side effects inregards radiaotion and hairloss only applys to the area that radiation is given, so they mean if they are treating the lymph nodes under the arm, the hair we have there will be the only hair that we loose but might grow back over time depending on the radiation dose. So, I guess I might be left with one harry arm pit.

My breast medical oncologist informed me that one of my central lymph nodes came up positive for cancer. they took out thee and only one had cancer. I highly recomend on Youtuve "Leave my lymph nodes alone! When less is more-Maggie DiNome, MD" a UCLA MD Chat. It helps in getting familiar with the lymphatic system when the lymph nodes are involved. they are recemending Chemo. I am a single mom taking care of my elderly mom. I am seroisly considering about skipping and taking the Hormone therapy. I am not a happy camper right now silently screaming inside...... I am super sad about the whole thing. Not enough to warrent a physch eval. just sad.

I am reaching out for advice on those who had to undergo chemo about symtoms which chemo has less side effects to get the job done but not overwhelm you with major side effects. Please share chemo type and symptoms.

Thanks,

Calalily

• HydrangeaBlue
    HydrangeaBlue Member Posts: 8 Member

My chemo was delayed a few weeks due to finding another 'issue' on my kidney (I had BC). Once cleared to start chemo, I still needed to have the port put in and that was going to add another week or so, so my Oncologist altered the ORDER of the chemo process and I was able to get my first infusion through an IV in my arm, got the port put in, and by the next chemo was able to have the port accessed.

I think there was a week before the port could be used, but not totally sure that is right.

But I do KNOW that you can talk to your oncologist to see if the order/type of chemo can be altered to allow sooner infusion. HTH

• TBullwinkle
    TBullwinkle Member Posts: 7 Member

I had a port installed and they were able to use it the next day. I was told they could use it as early as the same day it is installed if necessary. This worked for me, but there may be some other things to consider for you given your kidney issue.

Good luck!

• PJSMay2022
    PJSMay2022 Member Posts: 2 *

I had a port installed 4 days prior to beginning neoadjuvant chemo. I was pretty anxious about the first port access poke, but with a bit of spray-on lidocaine, I did not feel a thing. The first AC infusion took a couple of hours, and I was nauseated with an acid-y tummy from about 5 hours post-infusion until the end of day 5 post-infusion. It's different for everybody though. Will talk to my onc to try to find a better med solution.

• Sunny5
    Sunny5 Member Posts: 147 Member

Wondering how you are doing, since you posted this July 31. Everyone reacts differently to the cancer drugs. Just be sure if you start to feel numbness and tingling in your fingers or feet, tell your dr. right away. I have neuropathy and it's very annoying. It may go away, and may not. So be sure they know it immediately. Best of luck to you.