Roll Call: October weekend plans?!!

mimivac
mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
So, here we are, facing another Friday afternoon and I am already itching to start my weekend. I have a nice one planned.

Tonight, Simon and I are headed to a little neighborhood Greek restaurant. Middle Eastern food is a favorite of mine, so I can't wait. Plus, I had a great, healthy eating week so I won't feel guilty indulging in a little feta cheese and olive oil -- not to mention a cocktail or two (I've been dry all week!). After dinner we plan to go to a showing of "Where the Wild Things Are." I'm interested to see how this is since it has gotten some inconsistent reviews. The Washington Post and NY Times loved it, while Slate magazine hated it. Love all those sources, so I am curious...

Saturday is personal training in the morning, then groceries and cleaning up a bit at home. In the evening, I am headed out to dinner with a good friend. We are eating Greek again -- this time in the city, so I should have my fill of Greek food by the end of the weekend. I hope to get on to CSN's chatroom while I'm getting ready to go out -- probably while drinking a little wine or perhaps a tea and Kahlua. So, maybe I'll talk to some of you then!

Sunday I plan to start working through the exercises in my Artist's Way book (it just arrived yesterday!). I also need to cook a big pot of beans and one of steel cut oats for the coming week. I hope it's a great weekend.

So, ladies, I am excited to hear about YOUR plans now!!!

Comments

  • patti anne
    patti anne Member Posts: 101
    nothing much
    Well, I haven't gotten anything that I wanted to do today, done, so... need to get busy on that. Talking with my daughter (who is away at school) took priority!

    Husband will be home tonight, no plans.

    Saturday my son has a soccer game, if it doesn't get rained out, and then I'll get to the gym for a workout. Want to get to the store to get stuff for a Halloween care package to send to my college girls. That's all that's on my schedule so far. Maybe a little college football.

    Sunday my goal is to clean out and organize storage room.

    Sounds exciting, huh?
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Tasty
    Mimi you weekend sounds tasty and fun glad you are looking forward to some time out with loved ones. We will be repainting the inside of our two story, yuck! It will be nice when it is done though. We are going to be in a holding pattern (furniture misplace, in the garage, etc) for about ten days since we are also putting down a bit of wood flooring and having the house recarpeted. It is a lot of work and hassle but will be worth it when it is done. I will be posting photo's as we go along on Facebook so look me up there. Have fun Mimi!

    Love,

    RE
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Anything we do is a surprise
    Anything we do is a surprise spur of the moment happening. My husband usually works all weekend.
  • rainbow4
    rainbow4 Member Posts: 137
    tea and Kahlua?
    I've never heard of that combo. Black tea? what amounts (or is that to taste; if you're in the mood for mostly Kahlua, etc.)? Sounds like a very soothing drink.
    rainbow4
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    rainbow4 said:

    tea and Kahlua?
    I've never heard of that combo. Black tea? what amounts (or is that to taste; if you're in the mood for mostly Kahlua, etc.)? Sounds like a very soothing drink.
    rainbow4

    Hey Rainbow,
    Ha ha, I like that you picked up on that, in particular. I love tea and I love kahlua, so I've combined them. Yes, I use black tea for this. Any black tea will work -- there's this great black tea with vanilla bean from Mighty Leaf that I especially like. Pour yourself a mug of tea and then add the Kahlua until the tea reaches a level of sweetness that you like, or turns a nice rich dark brown color. Of course you could always add more after that -- I usually do :). If you want to be really decadant about it, add a touch of milk or cream to the final product. Heaven. I had this by the fireside when we were backcountry camping a few weeks ago. Somehow made all the cold evaporate!

    Mimi
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Downey Ocean
    I'm going to take my Mom home to Ocean Pines, MD. That's a community about 7 miles west of Ocean city. This is my favorite time of the year to go. I'm staying until Tuesday and taking my little PC w/me just in case I can get it to work. Going to take my car down to the Inlet Parking lot and sit and watch the ocean - maybe get on the beach and just (literally) chill for a while. Then coming back and dealing with the cataract problem. I have all my pre-ops with PCP and surgeon scheduled and am scheduled for cataract removal surgery on 11/18. I hear its a piece of cake, but I will reserve judgement. Anything after this past year seems to be a piece of cake. But first, a little R&R. I hope everyone has a great weekend too!
    Warm hugs - Pat
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I too am going to see Wild
    I too am going to see Wild Things~ I was thrilled from the very instant I saw the commercials for it; don't the characters look EXACTLTLY like those in the book!? And I love that they do not look like the computer-generated monsters we have come to expect. And the boy! I love his face too! So critics be damned! LOL I am planning on adoring the movie. I am going this afternoon, hopefully!

    Tomorrow evening I am going with my brother and his lovely wife to a fancy-schmancy dinner/cocktails/silent auction to benefit the local SPCA. Should be fun; my brother is a much loved former local celebrity. Until he retired, he was the ABC news anchor for 30 years, and it is fun to go places with him! He is such a nice man, and not at all pretentious; it is no wonder that he was and is so well liked here in Sacramento!

    On Sunday, my brother, wife, my sister and her hubby and I are once again eating out(OMG). This time we are going to a historic hotel on the delta, and having brunch together. I don't feel too bad about that, actually~ with a brunch menu I can generally be pretty judicious about what I eat. ( Oh, Mimi, my brother and I had a nice lunch at a Greek restaurant only yesterday~ the hummus was so delicious, and healthy, and I had a small Greek salad and a piece of grilled garlic chicken. YUM)

    Do I do anything but EAT??? Well, yes, but who wants to hear about the laundry or the crossword puzzles I am working on, or that I need to schedule a haircut??

    I am flying back home to my Reggie on Monday! I have been helping my sis take care of her daughter for 10 days, and I am anxious to get home. Obviously weekends I have "off"! My nieces significant other is there nights and weekends, but being with her from 6AM till 5 PM is still a long day. No wonder I am eating! LOL

    Have a great weekend, everyone!

    Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • rainbow4
    rainbow4 Member Posts: 137
    mimivac said:

    Hey Rainbow,
    Ha ha, I like that you picked up on that, in particular. I love tea and I love kahlua, so I've combined them. Yes, I use black tea for this. Any black tea will work -- there's this great black tea with vanilla bean from Mighty Leaf that I especially like. Pour yourself a mug of tea and then add the Kahlua until the tea reaches a level of sweetness that you like, or turns a nice rich dark brown color. Of course you could always add more after that -- I usually do :). If you want to be really decadant about it, add a touch of milk or cream to the final product. Heaven. I had this by the fireside when we were backcountry camping a few weeks ago. Somehow made all the cold evaporate!

    Mimi

    YUM
    I'd like to get some going right now, but think I'd probably accomplish nothing the rest of the day. So I'll wait until tonight. Thanks, Mimi. I love Kahlua! and how great it would be outdoors, next to a campfire......
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    chenheart said:

    I too am going to see Wild
    I too am going to see Wild Things~ I was thrilled from the very instant I saw the commercials for it; don't the characters look EXACTLTLY like those in the book!? And I love that they do not look like the computer-generated monsters we have come to expect. And the boy! I love his face too! So critics be damned! LOL I am planning on adoring the movie. I am going this afternoon, hopefully!

    Tomorrow evening I am going with my brother and his lovely wife to a fancy-schmancy dinner/cocktails/silent auction to benefit the local SPCA. Should be fun; my brother is a much loved former local celebrity. Until he retired, he was the ABC news anchor for 30 years, and it is fun to go places with him! He is such a nice man, and not at all pretentious; it is no wonder that he was and is so well liked here in Sacramento!

    On Sunday, my brother, wife, my sister and her hubby and I are once again eating out(OMG). This time we are going to a historic hotel on the delta, and having brunch together. I don't feel too bad about that, actually~ with a brunch menu I can generally be pretty judicious about what I eat. ( Oh, Mimi, my brother and I had a nice lunch at a Greek restaurant only yesterday~ the hummus was so delicious, and healthy, and I had a small Greek salad and a piece of grilled garlic chicken. YUM)

    Do I do anything but EAT??? Well, yes, but who wants to hear about the laundry or the crossword puzzles I am working on, or that I need to schedule a haircut??

    I am flying back home to my Reggie on Monday! I have been helping my sis take care of her daughter for 10 days, and I am anxious to get home. Obviously weekends I have "off"! My nieces significant other is there nights and weekends, but being with her from 6AM till 5 PM is still a long day. No wonder I am eating! LOL

    Have a great weekend, everyone!

    Hugs,
    Chen♥

    Mr. Cable
    Claudia I loved your brother's broadcast's they were warm and heartfelt so I am betting he is much like you a sincere soul. So you are spending the weekend on my side of the state, have fun and enjoy your time with your brother. I'm gonna watch the news coverage as I am sure they will cover this one so if you see a camera wave and holler "HI RE"! :-D Have fun!

    Hugs,

    RE
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    RE said:

    Mr. Cable
    Claudia I loved your brother's broadcast's they were warm and heartfelt so I am betting he is much like you a sincere soul. So you are spending the weekend on my side of the state, have fun and enjoy your time with your brother. I'm gonna watch the news coverage as I am sure they will cover this one so if you see a camera wave and holler "HI RE"! :-D Have fun!

    Hugs,

    RE

    Speaking of Food
    I am in a Chili Cookoff. Making my famous Chili... This is my 3rd year... I won Peoples choice the first year. Won 2nd place judges the second year and so this year I want #1 in all catagories!!! The meat I'm using this year is Buffalo!!!(my secret ingredient is my home made bean recipe) Yep Buffalo Chili!! Here in Oklahoma we have a buffalo farm that raises them for meat. Supposed to be better for you.. This is a fund rasier for the Republican Party. My Oldest Brother is a law maker for our State... It's alot of fun and I Love to support him as he's a good Man!!

    Chen.. Sounds like you have a wonderful Brother too!! It's fun having a Brother that other's respect.. Makes the ol heart swell with pride doesn't it!!!

    Mimi... That' drink sound very very yummy.. I have an unopened bottle of kalauha in my fridge just waiting for me to consume!!
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    Home from work
    Everyone's plans sound great. The ocean, a chili cookoff (!), dinner with the family. Claudia, I hope you enjoy the movie. It is so good of you to help out with your niece. I hope she's doing better now. I'll bet your Reggie really misses you, though. I'm waiting for Simon to get home from work so we can go out for dinner, too. I'm trying to resist, but I have a bottle of Kahlua, plus a mini bottle of Baileys and one of Godiva chocolate liquor staring at me from the kitchen. I'm thinking of a creamy concoction... Hope everyone else is doing great. Let's get our weekends started!

    Mimi
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Off to Hollywood...Mr. DeMille!, I'm ready for my closeup!
    Sunday staying in an upscale hotel in Hollywood for me and my beau's 18 year anniversary. Monday, Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, back to the hotel, Tuesday, Getty Museum and home...

    Hugs, Kathi
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    KathiM said:

    Off to Hollywood...Mr. DeMille!, I'm ready for my closeup!
    Sunday staying in an upscale hotel in Hollywood for me and my beau's 18 year anniversary. Monday, Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, back to the hotel, Tuesday, Getty Museum and home...

    Hugs, Kathi

    Happy Anniversary
    That sounds divine! Please post pictures when you can. You and your sweetie really deserve to celebrate this wonderful milestone.

    Mimi
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Going to see newborn (3
    Going to see newborn (3 weeks old)great niece Sat. Her mom is a 15-yr cancer survivor!
    Ava Nicole-what a lovely name. Sun.- plan to attend a conference, if I am feeling up to it.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    KathiM said:

    Off to Hollywood...Mr. DeMille!, I'm ready for my closeup!
    Sunday staying in an upscale hotel in Hollywood for me and my beau's 18 year anniversary. Monday, Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, back to the hotel, Tuesday, Getty Museum and home...

    Hugs, Kathi

    Fun Fun Fun, Kathi~ congrats
    Fun Fun Fun, Kathi~ congrats to you!! I LOVE the Long Beach Aquarium; when I lived in LB I had a season pass, and I thought it was wonderful when the season ticket holders could go to the after hours nighttime events at the aquarium and go behind the scenes.

    I would ofentimes just go and spend a leisurly hour at the aquarium during the day~ I love how it is divided up into sections of the Pacific, featuring the marine life found exclusively in those regions. And my favorite? The Sea Otters! I still remember learning that they have 100,000 indvidual furs per square inch!!!! Awesome!

    Enjoy your time away persuing romantic adventures~ I would say you travel so much only because you don't want to unpack, but all the places you go to require different climate wardrobes, so I have cancelled that theory! :-)


    Happy 18th!!!!

    Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Still not feeling up to par, so I guess that means more rest is needed. We do have friends coming over for dinner and a movie Saturday. I think hubby has decided on steak and shrimp. It will be nice to have some company. Most everyone has been staying away if they have been around anyone with the flu (which was nice to think about me!). I already warned them I was not getting out of my jammies. I offered to make it a pajama party!! LOL Pammy