Irritated with Comcast Pink Ribbon "Specials"

j916
j916 Member Posts: 141
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
As i have been searching and searching for some sort of guidance of what type of diet would give me the best chance of non-reoccurance (btw...what i seem to find is what NOT to eat, not WHAT to eat), i saw that Comcast cable television has an entire section devoted to Pink Ribbon, breast cancer awareness with stories, and informational shows. I was elated to see one that was on nutrition!!!!
imagine my disappointment when i turned it on and it was a woman, talking and "cooking" with two girls around the age of 11, about what they should start eating now to be healthy. Um....hello??? Now...i understand that we need to enpower our daughters...that this information is so important....but COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so disgusted that i just turned it off and don't even want to see what else they are offering on that channel.
Tell us survivors, tell us that are going through this information that WE can use...can use RIGHT NOW!!!!
ugh......so disappointed....and insensitive if you ask me..

jeanne

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Well, I read blueberries are
    Well, I read blueberries are good for you. Actually I have a book called 'the Color Code' and it tells you what to eat for a lot of different ailments.

isbn: 0-7868-8621-8 by James a. Joseph, Daniel A. Nadeau and Anne Underwood

A revolutionary eating plan for optimum health

page 50 says Cranberries might even help prevent breast cancer. The group of mice feed cranberry presscake inhibited the incidenace of breast tumors by 60%. And the spread of tumors to the lungs and lymph nodes was markedly reduced.
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    It's all about money...
    "Buy our products, and we'll donate to the cure. Send in our pink lids & we'll donate. Watch our pink broadcast, sponsored by pink-ribbon labels...yadda yadda yadda". Ooops, sorry...you missed the deadline, too bad, but thanks for buying our product. While we should appreciate that these advertising ploys do much good for raising awareness, and working toward the cure for breast cancer, we also have to be realistic about their motives. I still purchase the products, if it's something I use anyway. Maybe because I now have BC, but this year for the first time, I noticed how many companies seem to be on the Pink October Bandwagon.

Re: nutrition for BC patients==the ACS has good information. In addition, you might ask at your cancer clinic if there is a dietician or nutritionist available. My center has one.
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425

It's all about money...
    "Buy our products, and we'll donate to the cure. Send in our pink lids & we'll donate. Watch our pink broadcast, sponsored by pink-ribbon labels...yadda yadda yadda". Ooops, sorry...you missed the deadline, too bad, but thanks for buying our product. While we should appreciate that these advertising ploys do much good for raising awareness, and working toward the cure for breast cancer, we also have to be realistic about their motives. I still purchase the products, if it's something I use anyway. Maybe because I now have BC, but this year for the first time, I noticed how many companies seem to be on the Pink October Bandwagon.

Re: nutrition for BC patients==the ACS has good information. In addition, you might ask at your cancer clinic if there is a dietician or nutritionist available. My center has one.

Pink products
    About a month ago I was at Shopko and they had a display of pink breast cancer awareness products in their housewares area. They had pink salad spinners, pink coffee travel mugs, pink spatulas, pink water bottles, pink measuring cups and a bunch of other things. I didn't need any of these things and may have purchased them if I had, but I started thinking - would I get sick of seeing this every day at my house? I am not a "pink" kind of girl and don't own anything (not even underwear) that are pink. My kitchen has green walls with wooden cabinets and I have white appliances. Something pink would really stand out in my kitchen and I think I would probably get sick of looking at it long before it wasn't useful anymore. Just my opinion.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    I agree it can be annoying
    Especially if the supposedly targeted product (like the comcast shows) are not really about nutrition for cancer prevention at all, but general healthy eating. It makes you feel tricked. Jeanne, I recommend the ACS, too, and also the "Anti Cancer" book that everyone has pretty much read. Very good tips in there. I also subscribe to two publications that keep me informed about the latest research on nutrtion. They are not specifically only about cancer, but a lot of the info. happens to be cancer-related anyway because it is such a big issue for so many. The first is Dr. Weil's Health Newsletter and the other is Body and Soul magazine. I think there are targeted cancer journals that are not just for professionals: Cure is one of them, though I haven't really read it.

Mimi
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    mimivac said:

I agree it can be annoying
    Especially if the supposedly targeted product (like the comcast shows) are not really about nutrition for cancer prevention at all, but general healthy eating. It makes you feel tricked. Jeanne, I recommend the ACS, too, and also the "Anti Cancer" book that everyone has pretty much read. Very good tips in there. I also subscribe to two publications that keep me informed about the latest research on nutrtion. They are not specifically only about cancer, but a lot of the info. happens to be cancer-related anyway because it is such a big issue for so many. The first is Dr. Weil's Health Newsletter and the other is Body and Soul magazine. I think there are targeted cancer journals that are not just for professionals: Cure is one of them, though I haven't really read it.

Mimi

Pink Products........
    Our Garden centre got a catalogue of pink products.. with the ribbon.........Pink Hosepipes (Ohhhhhh sure the men are going to been seen out with that!) Pink wheelbarrows, Pink watering cans, pink secateurs, pink plant pots........etc etc etc.......ALL AT TWICE THE PRICE OF GREEN ONES!... We ordered a minimal few (Just to show support) and they NEVER arrived!.........I ask you, what more can we do?
    I'll carry on growing my Pink Phlox, Dicentras and Pelargoniums.....(Until they come out with TURQUOISE ones!) LOL... Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxx
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    tasha_111 said:

Pink Products........
    Our Garden centre got a catalogue of pink products.. with the ribbon.........Pink Hosepipes (Ohhhhhh sure the men are going to been seen out with that!) Pink wheelbarrows, Pink watering cans, pink secateurs, pink plant pots........etc etc etc.......ALL AT TWICE THE PRICE OF GREEN ONES!... We ordered a minimal few (Just to show support) and they NEVER arrived!.........I ask you, what more can we do?
    I'll carry on growing my Pink Phlox, Dicentras and Pelargoniums.....(Until they come out with TURQUOISE ones!) LOL... Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxx

I would not be able to deal
    I would not be able to deal with all the pink kitchen stuff but I have a friend who has a older home with a cute black and white checked floor in her kitchen and pink and white tile on the counters with blacks tiles on the backsplash and the end trim and she used pink as her theme. She has the pink blender, toaster, pans, etc. It looks adorable but I know I would get sick of it after awhile. She said she knows that she will too but they plan to renovate the kitchen in the next 5 years and she will replace it then. Not sure if everything she has supported breast cancer but I know some of it did.
    I'm with Tasha, pink flowers are good. And a pink garden hose, I know that is something my hubby would just love (not). Give me the slimy greens and soft oranges.
    Stef
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    I'm confused
    If the product is in the store, it has been purchased from the company already by a retailer. Therefore, whether we buy the product or not, the proceeds should already be donated. Now, if we buy that particular product, that is one less item in inventory for that store. It's not like OUR purchase alone determined if the proceedes were donated. Isn't this the way it works? I could be wrong.
    If I buy "pink" things, it's because I like them and think they are cute. I do not go out of my way to "seek" something pink. But I have noticed way too many things going "pink" the same as when they were promoting going "green". It annoys me because there are some products that are good for BC survivors (like chrystal deoderant with the pink ribbon) but with so much out there now, I'm confused on who is really trying to help and who has a greedful motive.
    Pammy