Perks Chemotherapy and Cancer

cindyc59
cindyc59 Member Posts: 44
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Cancer stinks and I would rather have my old body back, but these are some of the things I keep telling myself to help me through it all. First perk is I lost weight and can now, for the 1st time in about 20 yrs, eat anything and everything I want. One night I actually sat down and ate a whole gallon of chocolate chip mint ice cream! I had to have a double masectomy, so I keep telling myself, well I always wanted a boob reduction(was 34DDD)!Now although they are not finished and they still hurt and still need another surgery eventually they will be better(I hope). I now have a very flat stomach which I haven't had since I was in my 20's. I moved back close to my family and old friends and left a very mean controlling abusive husband which I don't think I would have had the guts to do prior to getting cancer. He showed me what he really was about-himself! Always knew this but was slapped in the face with it when I got sick. The new beautiful head of hair I am still waiting for. Lastly as soon as the soon to be ex starts paying support I will get to buy myself lots of new clothes since theones Ihave now don't fit(been borrowing my daughters for the time being). Lastly, even though I hate being tired I now have a reason tojust go take a nap or skip and event without as much guilt for doing so! I know this may seem strange but this is the way I have been getting through all this. New body and new life ahead! I get depressed,sad, tired ,discouraged, but then go back to telling myself all this and just keep trying to move foward.

Comments

• fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Cindy,
    Good for you for

Cindy,
    Good for you for looking at things to be positive about. I just wish you could have done them without the cancer.
    Stef
  • cindyc59
    cindyc59 Member Posts: 44
    Forgot to mention my all
    Forgot to mention my all time favorite perk from the chemo was not having to pluck tweeze or shave for months. Now of course all the hair is growing back like wildfire except for the hair on my head!
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    That's good that you are
    That's good that you are being so positive! It's good you moved close to family for support. Hang in there. Hugs.
  • SunShineDay
    SunShineDay Member Posts: 9
    Positives
    Gosh, you've really been through the wringer, Cindy, to be sure -- what an ordeal :-( . Still, as cliche as it sounds, as they say there's no big loss without some small gain. And I really do believe it makes one a stronger person! As yucky as it's been to get to this point, the new inner strength you've gained is still noting to sneeze at! I think it's very admirable and believe it will continue to serve you....

Thanks for sharing, and here's wishing you the very best in luck, health and wellness, Cindy!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Positives
    Gosh, you've really been through the wringer, Cindy, to be sure -- what an ordeal :-( . Still, as cliche as it sounds, as they say there's no big loss without some small gain. And I really do believe it makes one a stronger person! As yucky as it's been to get to this point, the new inner strength you've gained is still noting to sneeze at! I think it's very admirable and believe it will continue to serve you....

Thanks for sharing, and here's wishing you the very best in luck, health and wellness, Cindy!

I like your positive
    I like your positive attitude Cindy!

Sue :)
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Same type of thinker
    I to try to look at the "lighter? side of cancer. I don't know why I was elected for this job, but I try to educate co-workers, my family and even strangers. I'm not preaching and most of the time I don't even bring up the fact I have cancer.I'm fairly noticeable since I don't wear wigs or try to place eyelashes on. I pretty much of a tomboy. Just wear bandanas.
    I have found people are scared that it could happen to them. They asked silly and even sometimes stupid questions. I haven't had anyone be rude or insentive, thank goodness.
    My co-workers ( I work in surgery) were esp nervous, because we do the type of surgies I had. They assisted in my surgery and knew that I had a bad ca when 18/20 nodes had cancer. It took them a few weeks of tip toeing around. My way was to make them comfortable to talk about the cancer. Some ask to see my scars. I even ask a few if they wanted to pull out some hair. I had only a couple people that didn't want too. What's weird, it made me feel ok with my situation. I brought people in and they saw it was ok to be "sick", "different" and yes bald. I now look at my scars as battle scars. I'm fighting and winning and I have a whole new appriecation of the women and yes some men that have been on the table I was on just 4mos ago. People get diagnois with horrible dieases that don't have any attention given to them. "our" cancer recieves so much support and money and grants and research and commericals and the list goes on. If I had to pick a cancer it would be breast cancer. I din't have to pick it, but I got it now and consider myself a survivor in treatment.
    I would like to be a curly redhead for one thing. I've been a straight hair blonde that won't even hold a perm. I've been a c cup all my life, think I'll go for a b cup. cellulite on back of legs is gone,hope that stays away. I hope I don't sound [reachy or some how above all this. I do have some days I say this really sucks, but then I see some parent with thier little bald, port installed child and I think, I'm ok. I had three children and I thank God I didn't have to sit in an onc office and have them tell me my child had cancer.
    By the way, my friends at work, my family don't let me pull the cancer card when I try to get out of doing something. They've learned when I'm lying and when I don't feel well. Education is the key. Thank you for letting me express my feelings. That is one area I have a tendicy to push down, sign of weakness.

I had a comment the other day from a co-worker, she said if she ever gets sick or has cancer she wants to be just like me. I was confused a little. Should I be offended,no I took that as a compliment. I voted myself as this years "poster child" for breast cancer.
    I really should be putting this in a journal uh? Oh well guess I better get some sleep. I wish everyone a well body, mind and spirit with your fight to be healthy. Hugs and smiles, Katz