RADS, Fatigue and feeling sad

elm3544
elm3544 Member Posts: 748
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have finished 7 days of RADS so far. I am already so tired and the Dr says it is going to get alot worse! I can't concentrate or finish a thought or sentence half the time. I'm so tired but can't sleep because of hot flashes, painful joints, Neuropathy, the list goes on. The last couple of days I have constantly been on the verge of tears. Today I cried as I left the oncologist's office after my treatment. Cried when I got home. Cried when my husband called from work to check on me. Cried a couple of more times throughout the day. What is this? Mood swings from the chemo induced menopause? Do RADS cause this? This is the worst its been throughout this whole ordeal and believe me, I have done my share of crying in the last few months. I feel so alone. Is this normal?

Comments

• outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    elm
    it could be a combination of things. Being tired,maybe it's all catching up with you. I think we have all been through that-so yes,you are normal!
    Hope you can get some decent sleep soon...
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941

elm
    it could be a combination of things. Being tired,maybe it's all catching up with you. I think we have all been through that-so yes,you are normal!
    Hope you can get some decent sleep soon...

You are such a pretty lady
    You are such a pretty lady Elm and my heart goes out to you. I've just started this journey, so radiation is a long way off for me. Your post is the first I've read about radiation and I'm glad I read it, because it helps me understand this walk a little better. I've cried more this past 6 months than I have my entire 66 years. Tears cleanse our souls, and by golly we deserve to shed those tears. We are a group of "wounded healers". I've said a prayer for you, a prayer for whatever you need right now.
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    natly15 said:

You are such a pretty lady
    You are such a pretty lady Elm and my heart goes out to you. I've just started this journey, so radiation is a long way off for me. Your post is the first I've read about radiation and I'm glad I read it, because it helps me understand this walk a little better. I've cried more this past 6 months than I have my entire 66 years. Tears cleanse our souls, and by golly we deserve to shed those tears. We are a group of "wounded healers". I've said a prayer for you, a prayer for whatever you need right now.

Hey Elm
    I'm on day 7 of rads

Hey Elm
    I'm on day 7 of rads too and so far I don't have the fatigue problem. It sounds like you have a lot of other stuff going on that is making you so exhausted and the rads are just the straw that broke the proverbial camels back so to speak. Hang in there girl...
  • elm3544
    Thank you ladies. I
    Thank you ladies. I appreciate all of your input.
    I am off to #8 in a few minutes. I hardly got any sleep last night and my treatment is at 6:30 AM. Luckily its not too far. Dyan week 2 is almost over!
  • cindyc59
    cindyc59 Member Posts: 44
    elm3544 said:

Thank you ladies. I
    Thank you ladies. I appreciate all of your input.
    I am off to #8 in a few minutes. I hardly got any sleep last night and my treatment is at 6:30 AM. Luckily its not too far. Dyan week 2 is almost over!

I have been experiencing
    I have been experiencing the same thing tired-worse than chemo because it is a never ending tired! I am depressed and sad(going through divorce besides bc) but hoping that it ends with the radiation. Everyone said radiation was a walk in the park compared to what Ihad already been through! turned out not to be thecase.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Elm,
    You have been through

Elm,
    You have been through so much and your body is feeling the affects of the physical, the emotional, and the hormonal onslaught. Crying is a good release, so go ahead and cry. If you find that you are going into a depression, then talk it over with your doctors. There are meds that can help. But remember that what you are feeling is pretty normal for what you have been through. We have all had moments like this and we are all here for you.
    Rest as much as you can, cry when you need that release, laugh at a good joke (Margo that's your cue), eat as healthy as possible (I should heed that one more), excercise as much as possible (I should heed that one too) and do something kind for yourself. A massage, a movie, ice cream, shopping, something just for you. It is amazing how much doing that just once in a while helps. This part of your treatment will be over before you know it and then you can continue to mend, to gain strength, to reclaim your life. Life may be a little different, but you will learn to go on, to deal with the fears, to embrace life and celebrate your strength. After all, you are a warrior and a survivor.
    Stef
  • fauxma
    cindyc59 said:

I have been experiencing
    I have been experiencing the same thing tired-worse than chemo because it is a never ending tired! I am depressed and sad(going through divorce besides bc) but hoping that it ends with the radiation. Everyone said radiation was a walk in the park compared to what Ihad already been through! turned out not to be thecase.

Cindy,
    Nothing about cancer

Cindy,
    Nothing about cancer is a walk in the park. We all react differently to our treatment even when it might be the same as someone else's. I didn't have chemo, but I know that some of our gals found rads to be, not easier, but perhaps less traumatic. Some though, have found it to be harder. The fatigue that those who did chemo first could well be more intense because their bodies are still recouping from the effects of the chemo. We all also have had different degrees of skin affects from the rads. Some had minimal burning, some much more, even though we all might use the exact same lotions and used them diligently. All our skin is very different and our radiation is not all the same, nor is the area being treated the same. I am so sorry that in addition to fighting this your are having to go through a divorce. That is truly insult upon injury. Are you taking anything for the depression? Be sure and mention this to your doctors. There is so much baggage that comes with cancer. And along with this baggage we are going on a journey we don't want to take.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Stef
  • elm3544
    fauxma said:

Elm,
    You have been through

Elm,
    You have been through so much and your body is feeling the affects of the physical, the emotional, and the hormonal onslaught. Crying is a good release, so go ahead and cry. If you find that you are going into a depression, then talk it over with your doctors. There are meds that can help. But remember that what you are feeling is pretty normal for what you have been through. We have all had moments like this and we are all here for you.
    Rest as much as you can, cry when you need that release, laugh at a good joke (Margo that's your cue), eat as healthy as possible (I should heed that one more), excercise as much as possible (I should heed that one too) and do something kind for yourself. A massage, a movie, ice cream, shopping, something just for you. It is amazing how much doing that just once in a while helps. This part of your treatment will be over before you know it and then you can continue to mend, to gain strength, to reclaim your life. Life may be a little different, but you will learn to go on, to deal with the fears, to embrace life and celebrate your strength. After all, you are a warrior and a survivor.
    Stef

Thank you for the words of
    Thank you for the words of wisdom and encouragement. Thank you for telling me its OK when I feel so out of control and so alone. I could never get through this without this group.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    fauxma said:

Cindy,
    Nothing about cancer

Cindy,
    Nothing about cancer is a walk in the park. We all react differently to our treatment even when it might be the same as someone else's. I didn't have chemo, but I know that some of our gals found rads to be, not easier, but perhaps less traumatic. Some though, have found it to be harder. The fatigue that those who did chemo first could well be more intense because their bodies are still recouping from the effects of the chemo. We all also have had different degrees of skin affects from the rads. Some had minimal burning, some much more, even though we all might use the exact same lotions and used them diligently. All our skin is very different and our radiation is not all the same, nor is the area being treated the same. I am so sorry that in addition to fighting this your are having to go through a divorce. That is truly insult upon injury. Are you taking anything for the depression? Be sure and mention this to your doctors. There is so much baggage that comes with cancer. And along with this baggage we are going on a journey we don't want to take.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Stef

What Stef said is so perfect. NOTHING about cancer is a walk in the park and rads aren't easier, just perhaps less traumatic than chemo. Love that Stef. We all react differently to rads, chemo, to any part of our treatment. I am sure that you that have just had chemo and then go thru rads are going to have it hit you harder. Look at what you have just been thru with chemo. Your body is already exhausted from chemo, so, rads are going to even wear you out more than someone that didn't have chemo. But, rads are exhausting to everyone. Some who have been out of treatment for awhile may not remember, but, rads are hard on you. I was lucky that I didn't get burnt and that I didn't get exhausted until the last week or so of my rads. But, I rested a LOT. I took a lot of naps when I could, I slept in late most mornings, I tried to get as much rest as possible and it helped me. I even took some sleeping pills that my doctor prescribed for me towards the end so that I would get a good sound long sleep. Try to rest Elm as much as possible, drink lots of water, try to eat healthy and try to do some form of exercise, even if it is only walking. I really found that some exercise ( walking ) helped me to feel better. I know, it sounds weird, but, it did help. I pray that you feel better soon Elm!

Sue :)
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    elm3544 said:

Thank you for the words of
    Thank you for the words of wisdom and encouragement. Thank you for telling me its OK when I feel so out of control and so alone. I could never get through this without this group.

It's okay........Really!
    It's all "normal," what ever normal is......Your feelings and emotions are validated....I have 6 rad treatments left........out of 33......I started feeling the fatigue last week......it's a different fatigue than what I had from the chemo. I was told by my radiation oncologist that the fatigue can set in pretty quick if you have had chemo....I was lucky, it took longer for me......I was told today, also, that it will take me about 7 weeks to "recover" once the radiation is over, next week. As with chemo, the side effects are cumulative....they build up.....I actually didn't even start to get "pink" until last week....Now I'm BEET RED! I had a meltdown on Monday morning at the radiation oncologist visit....first time I had cried in probably two months.....but.......I haven't had a good night's sleep due to severe allergies, in 3 weeks..I was absolutely exhuasted.......That's when I feel weepy, due to lack of sleep.... SO, know that you are okay in how you are feeling...

I hope for a better day for you tomorrow.......we're here for you
    Hugs and Prayers
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    MAJW said:

It's okay........Really!
    It's all "normal," what ever normal is......Your feelings and emotions are validated....I have 6 rad treatments left........out of 33......I started feeling the fatigue last week......it's a different fatigue than what I had from the chemo. I was told by my radiation oncologist that the fatigue can set in pretty quick if you have had chemo....I was lucky, it took longer for me......I was told today, also, that it will take me about 7 weeks to "recover" once the radiation is over, next week. As with chemo, the side effects are cumulative....they build up.....I actually didn't even start to get "pink" until last week....Now I'm BEET RED! I had a meltdown on Monday morning at the radiation oncologist visit....first time I had cried in probably two months.....but.......I haven't had a good night's sleep due to severe allergies, in 3 weeks..I was absolutely exhuasted.......That's when I feel weepy, due to lack of sleep.... SO, know that you are okay in how you are feeling...

I hope for a better day for you tomorrow.......we're here for you
    Hugs and Prayers

Ok, from all I'm reading
    Ok, from all I'm reading about RADS here I'm about ready to say screw it. I don't want it. I am really getting upset, next to crying. I have dealt with a lot of pain from my hernia surgery. Damn, I hate CANCER! I'm sorry, I'm just upset. Every little thing upsets me, having to deal with road construction in my area, EVERYTHING, and i'm taking antidepressants, too.
  • fauxma
    lanie940 said:

Ok, from all I'm reading
    Ok, from all I'm reading about RADS here I'm about ready to say screw it. I don't want it. I am really getting upset, next to crying. I have dealt with a lot of pain from my hernia surgery. Damn, I hate CANCER! I'm sorry, I'm just upset. Every little thing upsets me, having to deal with road construction in my area, EVERYTHING, and i'm taking antidepressants, too.

Lanie,
    Yes, there are side

Lanie,
    Yes, there are side effects to the rads and some have had more severe ones than others have had, but the bottom line is that in one form or another we all got through it. I had very little burning that was easily handled by the aloe. I had minor fatigue and worked during my treatment. Others have had more severe burning, more fatigue and have found work difficult or impossible. Again, we all react differently. My suggestion is to start the rads and see how you do. If side effects occur that make you feel unable to continue it, you have the option to stop. It's like the inhibitors, some have lots of side effects and some have minimal. I was worried before I started but then realized that I wouldn't know how it affected me until I started them. So far, so good. But if big, bad side effects rear their ugly heads I will evaluate whether it is worth it to continue.
    Right now for you, you have been through so much and the anticipation can be the worst side effect of all. ANd having just had hernia surgery (no walk in the park either) doesn't help either. So go ahead and vent and rant. We are here for you.
    There is indeed so much to deal with on this awful journey. But you do want to use whatever is in your arsenal to fight this. And radiation is a powerful weapon. So please, consider starting it with the knowledge that you can stop if it becomes overwhelming.
    Prayers to you.
    Stef
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    fauxma said:

Lanie,
    Yes, there are side

Lanie,
    Yes, there are side effects to the rads and some have had more severe ones than others have had, but the bottom line is that in one form or another we all got through it. I had very little burning that was easily handled by the aloe. I had minor fatigue and worked during my treatment. Others have had more severe burning, more fatigue and have found work difficult or impossible. Again, we all react differently. My suggestion is to start the rads and see how you do. If side effects occur that make you feel unable to continue it, you have the option to stop. It's like the inhibitors, some have lots of side effects and some have minimal. I was worried before I started but then realized that I wouldn't know how it affected me until I started them. So far, so good. But if big, bad side effects rear their ugly heads I will evaluate whether it is worth it to continue.
    Right now for you, you have been through so much and the anticipation can be the worst side effect of all. ANd having just had hernia surgery (no walk in the park either) doesn't help either. So go ahead and vent and rant. We are here for you.
    There is indeed so much to deal with on this awful journey. But you do want to use whatever is in your arsenal to fight this. And radiation is a powerful weapon. So please, consider starting it with the knowledge that you can stop if it becomes overwhelming.
    Prayers to you.
    Stef

Thanks, I need some
    Thanks, I need some encouragement. I just hope it won't be too bad. I hope my husband understands I could be tired. He is going with me for my first session because I also have a follow-up with my surgeon who did my hernia in the afternoon.
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Crying is normal
    Elm,

Being tired and crying during rads is normal as far as I'm concerned. Did you happen to read what I wrote last week? I was REALLY having a hard time - cried during radiation and felt pretty hopeless in general.

I am trying to get more rest and remove as much stress from my life as I can. I don't worry about staying at work all day (or even going in) if I am tired after radiation - it's not worth it.

Since I haven't had chemo I have no idea what it does to your body, but I assume it does at least as much or more than radiation when it comes to mood changes, being tired and just feeling yucky.

Please try to talk to others and keep writing to us here - it does help to get it all out (trust me - I've been there). You can take all the pain, fatigue, mood swings and tears and just leave them here on the screen. You are not alone.

Take care and take a nap whenever you are able.

Wolfi
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Yes, it is normal
    I am very sorry , but it is normal. Radiation cause fatigue and gives cumulative effect in addition to all previous treatments. Induced menopause also plays a significant role. We all have been through similar side effects. At night I took sleeping pills every day during radiation, during day time I watched comedies or shows. In order to combat fatigue I took a nap every day after radiation.
    Hugs
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    lanie940 said:

Thanks, I need some
    Thanks, I need some encouragement. I just hope it won't be too bad. I hope my husband understands I could be tired. He is going with me for my first session because I also have a follow-up with my surgeon who did my hernia in the afternoon.

I feel for you with your surgery....
    Lanie, I know what you are going through with your Hernia surgery. I had it done 20 years ago (it was congential and decided to rupture). I have an incison across my stomach 6" long. I remember it being the worst healing ever. It took me 6 months to learn to do a sit up! But here I am with the same 6" incison from my overy surgery (only along the bikini line this time) plus 3 other ones. There was so much scar tissue and adhesions that they had to remove my insides to even find my ovaries. I have been a couch potatoe since Oct 6th and was told I was allowed to do NOTHING for 1 month. It frigin hurts! My insides are battling for position and the sharp shooting nerve pains have just set in. Argghhh. I have stopped the pain pills this week and am only taking a muscle relaxant. It sucks because everything you do involves your stomach muscles! I can't even roll over in bed! So hang in there. I made it through rads and the fatigue was the worst of it. But, it's not like I was scheduled to run a marathon or anything. It will just give you another excuse to lounge and heal properly. Hernia repairs take a long time to heal!! Try not to fret over it. It really is not that bad, but is so benefical for us! Hugs and smiles. Pammy
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Akiss4me said:

I feel for you with your surgery....
    Lanie, I know what you are going through with your Hernia surgery. I had it done 20 years ago (it was congential and decided to rupture). I have an incison across my stomach 6" long. I remember it being the worst healing ever. It took me 6 months to learn to do a sit up! But here I am with the same 6" incison from my overy surgery (only along the bikini line this time) plus 3 other ones. There was so much scar tissue and adhesions that they had to remove my insides to even find my ovaries. I have been a couch potatoe since Oct 6th and was told I was allowed to do NOTHING for 1 month. It frigin hurts! My insides are battling for position and the sharp shooting nerve pains have just set in. Argghhh. I have stopped the pain pills this week and am only taking a muscle relaxant. It sucks because everything you do involves your stomach muscles! I can't even roll over in bed! So hang in there. I made it through rads and the fatigue was the worst of it. But, it's not like I was scheduled to run a marathon or anything. It will just give you another excuse to lounge and heal properly. Hernia repairs take a long time to heal!! Try not to fret over it. It really is not that bad, but is so benefical for us! Hugs and smiles. Pammy

Pammy
    I so sorry to hear your having a hard time of it lately, but I agree with what you're saying to Lanie, radiation is very beneficial, so Lanie please do not get discouraged you will be able to get through this, and we're all here for you!

Aurora
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Elm
    You are definately normal!!!! Rad's can be tough, they are not a walk in the park, but you can do this. I think that everything you're going through has just caught up to you. I my self I'm not a crier, but the last week of rads' has changed all that. Being tired makes me groughy which in turn makes me unhappy, thus the tears.

I wish I could reach out and just give you a big hug, but all I got is cyber hugs, you will start to feel better I'm sure of it!

Keep your head up as this to will pass!

God Bless you
    Aurora