OK, now, the wonderful things you say to /have heard as/ breast cancer survivors....

KathiM
KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I usually open with "Well, I'm here to answer questions, give out hugs, listen to ranting, and just generally be here for whatever makes this easier for you."

How about you all?

Hugs, Kathi

Comments

• Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Kathi
    Great idea! I'm not quite a survivor yet but what I have heard:
    FIGHT LIKE A GIRL (FROM PAT)
    I HAVE CANCER BUT CANCER DOESN'T HAVE ME
    THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF THIS TUNNEL
    I BLAME IT ON THE CHEMO (COFFEE MUG AT ONC. OFFICE)
    TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME
    YOU CAN'T SIT AROUND AND WAIT FOR THE STORM TO BE OVER-YOU'VE GOT TO LEARN HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN (LOVE THIS ONE!)
    WHAT LIES BEHIND US AND WHAT LIES BEFORE US ARE SMALL MATTERS COMPARED TO WHAT LIES WITHIN US
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHALLENGES
    I WILL SMILE WHEN PEOPLE AROUND ME COMPLAIN & RESPOND WITH SOMETHING POSITIVE
    AND OF COURSE HEARING ANY SURVIVORS STORY
    Cathy
  • KathiM
    Cat64 said:

Kathi
    Great idea! I'm not quite a survivor yet but what I have heard:
    FIGHT LIKE A GIRL (FROM PAT)
    I HAVE CANCER BUT CANCER DOESN'T HAVE ME
    THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF THIS TUNNEL
    I BLAME IT ON THE CHEMO (COFFEE MUG AT ONC. OFFICE)
    TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME
    YOU CAN'T SIT AROUND AND WAIT FOR THE STORM TO BE OVER-YOU'VE GOT TO LEARN HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN (LOVE THIS ONE!)
    WHAT LIES BEHIND US AND WHAT LIES BEFORE US ARE SMALL MATTERS COMPARED TO WHAT LIES WITHIN US
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHALLENGES
    I WILL SMILE WHEN PEOPLE AROUND ME COMPLAIN & RESPOND WITH SOMETHING POSITIVE
    AND OF COURSE HEARING ANY SURVIVORS STORY
    Cathy

You are officially a survivor the day you are diagnosed....
    That, according to the American Cancer Society...lol...

It's just that some of us have been at it a bit longer than others....

Hugs, Kathi
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    KathiM said:

Hugs, Kathi

I am here for you and then
    I am here for you and then they were.
    I love you and I will be with you every step of the way. (From my hubby)
    I don't know what you are going through but I am here if you need to talk.

People are also capable of saying the absolute right thing at the right time.
    Stef
  • KathiM
    fauxma said:

I am here for you and then
    I am here for you and then they were.
    I love you and I will be with you every step of the way. (From my hubby)
    I don't know what you are going through but I am here if you need to talk.

People are also capable of saying the absolute right thing at the right time.
    Stef

I agree....
    I try to think before I open my mouth...sometimes it actually works...

Hugs, Kathi
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Hey,I was
    going to bring this up after seeing the other post-and here it is!
    I think one of the best things told to me after losing my hair was my surgeon's associate saying that I looked beautiful bald and that she thought hair only took away from a person's features-talk about a boost to my esteem!
  • JmG86
    JmG86 Member Posts: 53
    Thank you for doing this
    Thank you for doing this positive side of it...Cathy, I love the dancing in the rain saying - I just wrote it down! I am lucky enought to have some very encouraging people around me, and while nothing sticks in my mind as to anything they might have said, just their quiet encouragement and silent strength(hubby) is enough for me!
  • KathiM

Hey,I was
    going to bring this up after seeing the other post-and here it is!
    I think one of the best things told to me after losing my hair was my surgeon's associate saying that I looked beautiful bald and that she thought hair only took away from a person's features-talk about a boost to my esteem!

Yes, that's it!
    And the smile....BRILLIANT sans hair!

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    JmG86 said:

Thank you for doing this
    Thank you for doing this positive side of it...Cathy, I love the dancing in the rain saying - I just wrote it down! I am lucky enought to have some very encouraging people around me, and while nothing sticks in my mind as to anything they might have said, just their quiet encouragement and silent strength(hubby) is enough for me!

And these are the precious ones....
    That you will carry with you for the rest of your life..

Hugs, Kathi
  • ladydi1
    ladydi1 Member Posts: 120
    KathiM said:

Hugs, Kathi

Cancer sayings
    "I am living with cancer NOT dying of cancer"
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    What has been said ( and
    What has been said ( and done to me) as a Survivor...

1)My Reggie saying it never occurred to him not to love me because I am worthy and beautiful inside even when I knew I was not beautiful on the outside.

The most meaningful thing which happened to me was:

2) Reggie leaning over and tenderly kissing my lumpectomy scar. That was more romantic and deal-making than you can even imagine. It showed I was loved, and that my scar was nothing repulsive to him, and nothing for me to hide or be ashamed of. I will never ever forget that moment.

What I say to survivors? Mostly, when I see their bandana swathed heads I give them "the look" and tell them I used to have that EXACT same hair-do! It is a real ice-breaker, and has started many conversations!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • BELIEVEx3
    BELIEVEx3 Member Posts: 24
    KathiM said:

Hugs, Kathi

Luv your site, I remember
    Luv your site, I remember all of the silly things people would say despite their intentions and despite my pain. The first time I had cancer, I hated it when people told me how good I looked, just look inside me and listen to my heart.............
    The third time, recently my surgeon, whom I dearly love, proclaimed to my daughter prior to a minor surgery, " your mom has LFS, I think this will make it easier for her, it is not just bad luck." I love it, so now instead of having just bad luck I have been diagnosed with a gene defect leaving me vulnerable to many more cancers including some of the most daunting, brain cancers etc. I hate to admit it, at times I miss the stupid comments, the lack of acknowledgement of my cancer can be very lonely at times. As silly as the comments once were, ignoring my sojourn through cancer hurts deeper. GO PINK!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry this is the first time I have written and I posted on the wrong site, SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!
  • KathiM
    chenheart said:

What has been said ( and
    What has been said ( and done to me) as a Survivor...

1)My Reggie saying it never occurred to him not to love me because I am worthy and beautiful inside even when I knew I was not beautiful on the outside.

The most meaningful thing which happened to me was:

2) Reggie leaning over and tenderly kissing my lumpectomy scar. That was more romantic and deal-making than you can even imagine. It showed I was loved, and that my scar was nothing repulsive to him, and nothing for me to hide or be ashamed of. I will never ever forget that moment.

What I say to survivors? Mostly, when I see their bandana swathed heads I give them "the look" and tell them I used to have that EXACT same hair-do! It is a real ice-breaker, and has started many conversations!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

You brought tears....
    What a wonderful man you have!

Hugs, Kathi
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    KathiM said:

You brought tears....
    What a wonderful man you have!

Hugs, Kathi

My favorites came from my
    My favorites came from my husband, when i had my cat and pet scans and was injected with radioactive dye, he said that now i could start the microwave from the living room! He told our daughter to shut the lights out to see if "mom glows in the dark"! When he found out about my surgery, (new boobs), chemo, and zometa treatment to strenghten my bones, he called me the Bionic Woman. Humor helps.
  • always
    always Member Posts: 256
    meena1 said:

My favorites came from my
    My favorites came from my husband, when i had my cat and pet scans and was injected with radioactive dye, he said that now i could start the microwave from the living room! He told our daughter to shut the lights out to see if "mom glows in the dark"! When he found out about my surgery, (new boobs), chemo, and zometa treatment to strenghten my bones, he called me the Bionic Woman. Humor helps.

Our husbands are twins
    Meena your husband is related to mine. My husband is continually coming up with silly statements to make me laugh. The glow in the dark thing and do I need radioactive gear to come near you today? The kids think we are nuts, but he is hillarious and supportive.

I was introduced to a stranger at church by someone who had just found out and said forgive me but you need to meet this person. She was a 22 year survivor who hugged me like I was a long lost friend and cried. Then she stepped back and said watch for the angels. They are every step along the way. Don't forget to pay attention. Whenever you need they will be there. They are strangers, nurses, doctors, commercials, children at play... and I have learned since- This website. Thanks to all of you!

Becky
  • CHERYL 4
    CHERYL 4 Member Posts: 75 Member
    KathiM said:

Hugs, Kathi

kathi
    hey girlfriend havent seen u in mths of sunday how was ur trips i cant get in csn glad to see u in here
  • KathiM
    CHERYL 4 said:

kathi
    hey girlfriend havent seen u in mths of sunday how was ur trips i cant get in csn glad to see u in here

Hey, gf!!! I am FINE!
    Life is good, every 3 months we switch countries. Also crusing, etc...beating off the blues from my beau's mom's passing, and his nasty experience in March.

Thanks for askin! And how are YOU??????

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    ladydi1 said:

Cancer sayings
    "I am living with cancer NOT dying of cancer"

Good quote!
    And, after I vanquish it, I will be living FREE!

Hugs, Kathi