soy products

crafty two
crafty two Member Posts: 29
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was told today by a friend to be sure and tell Laurissa to avoid soy because it feeds cancer.Is this true???Have any of you heard that?I haven't heard from laurissa today. Im waiting to hear what happened at the dentist.Also my friend told me a friend of hers drank some kind of herbal concocktion[all natural] from a health store during her chemo treatments for nausea.She said it helped her. What do you think??The health store is in town, but I don't know whats in the drink.

Comments

  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Soy, etc...
    My oncologist told me that because my cancer is estrogen positive, I should avoid soy products, since they contain naturally occuring estrogen that can "feed" the cancer. I've heard this from other sources too. In addition, all herbal and OTC remedies need to be cleared through him because some products may work against the cancer medicine. I'm not on chemo, so I have no idea about the nausea that so many experience. However, it's probably a good idea to ask the doctor if this product would be okay to use.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003

    Soy, etc...
    My oncologist told me that because my cancer is estrogen positive, I should avoid soy products, since they contain naturally occuring estrogen that can "feed" the cancer. I've heard this from other sources too. In addition, all herbal and OTC remedies need to be cleared through him because some products may work against the cancer medicine. I'm not on chemo, so I have no idea about the nausea that so many experience. However, it's probably a good idea to ask the doctor if this product would be okay to use.

    That is all true about soy
    That is all true about soy products, it also interferes with the chemo drug Taxol. Also, you would not believe all the things that have soy in them, especially salad dressings. Check the label, and avoid soy
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544

    Soy, etc...
    My oncologist told me that because my cancer is estrogen positive, I should avoid soy products, since they contain naturally occuring estrogen that can "feed" the cancer. I've heard this from other sources too. In addition, all herbal and OTC remedies need to be cleared through him because some products may work against the cancer medicine. I'm not on chemo, so I have no idea about the nausea that so many experience. However, it's probably a good idea to ask the doctor if this product would be okay to use.

    I used soy products
    I used soy products extensively before bc. Stopped when diagnosed last summer. Went on tamoxifen a couple of weeks ago. I asked medical oncologist about my concerns & he said that just as tamoxifen blocked estrogen from my body, it would also block the estrogen from soy products. However, I am going to strictly limit my use of soy products from now on. No sense in getting more than I already have in my body.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Tux said:

    I used soy products
    I used soy products extensively before bc. Stopped when diagnosed last summer. Went on tamoxifen a couple of weeks ago. I asked medical oncologist about my concerns & he said that just as tamoxifen blocked estrogen from my body, it would also block the estrogen from soy products. However, I am going to strictly limit my use of soy products from now on. No sense in getting more than I already have in my body.

    limit soy and sugar for ER+
    I was told to limit soy as much as possible. Also, to limit sugar (dietetic diet best). Plus NO GRAPEFRUIT, if taking Tamoxifen. Well, I have given up smoking, body parts, most of my year, and all it entailed, but, there is no way I am giving up my ice-cream! Not ready for that. Hanging on for dear life to my one pleasure I have left! Pammy
  • Nufferz
    Nufferz Member Posts: 55
    Akiss4me said:

    limit soy and sugar for ER+
    I was told to limit soy as much as possible. Also, to limit sugar (dietetic diet best). Plus NO GRAPEFRUIT, if taking Tamoxifen. Well, I have given up smoking, body parts, most of my year, and all it entailed, but, there is no way I am giving up my ice-cream! Not ready for that. Hanging on for dear life to my one pleasure I have left! Pammy

    Another thing to add
    Here's something else I found out, but don't remember where I read it.. if you're on Tamoxifen, don't eat pomegranates.
    I was reading labels on different products in the grocery store one day and looked at a tub of margerine. First ingredient listed? Soy bean oil. I have a heart problem, but by gosh, I'm going back to eating butter. Pfft!
    And I agree with Pammy, I've given up enough too. I'm eating my chocolate, dang it.
    BTW, cute avatar Pammy!! Love it!
  • SunShineDay
    SunShineDay Member Posts: 9
    Nufferz said:

    Another thing to add
    Here's something else I found out, but don't remember where I read it.. if you're on Tamoxifen, don't eat pomegranates.
    I was reading labels on different products in the grocery store one day and looked at a tub of margerine. First ingredient listed? Soy bean oil. I have a heart problem, but by gosh, I'm going back to eating butter. Pfft!
    And I agree with Pammy, I've given up enough too. I'm eating my chocolate, dang it.
    BTW, cute avatar Pammy!! Love it!

    ER+
    Right, soy is an obvious one, but I've also heard tell of Pomegranates (of all things!) potentially having some phytoestrogenic properties -- as well as Beer (the hops), and ... Coffee...!

    Also, I've heard it may be best to try to avoid plastic leached into food if at all possible -- apparently some plastics can act as estrogens in the body...

    --Sunny
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

    ER+
    Right, soy is an obvious one, but I've also heard tell of Pomegranates (of all things!) potentially having some phytoestrogenic properties -- as well as Beer (the hops), and ... Coffee...!

    Also, I've heard it may be best to try to avoid plastic leached into food if at all possible -- apparently some plastics can act as estrogens in the body...

    --Sunny

    NO NO to SOY
    No soy, especially if you are ER and PR positive. My oncologist though said that it is almost impossible to eliminate it totally as it is hidden in a lot of foods. But, avoid it if you know it is in something.

    You can't avoid everything that "they" say is bad for you or you would live in a plastic bubble and drink boiled, sterilzed water. Just be smart.

    Sue :)
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    I usually don't eat soy
    I usually don't eat soy stuff, unless it's hidden in something. And I've cut down on coffee, too. Thanks for info about soy. Talk soon.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    laurissa said:

    I usually don't eat soy
    I usually don't eat soy stuff, unless it's hidden in something. And I've cut down on coffee, too. Thanks for info about soy. Talk soon.

    My oncologist told me to
    My oncologist told me to avoid soy and soy products. But, he also stated that it would be impossible to not get some soy at some time as it is hidden in stuff. And, like someone else wrote, almost everything causes cancer anymore, if you read all of the articles and believe them, which I don't.
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490
    DebbyM said:

    My oncologist told me to
    My oncologist told me to avoid soy and soy products. But, he also stated that it would be impossible to not get some soy at some time as it is hidden in stuff. And, like someone else wrote, almost everything causes cancer anymore, if you read all of the articles and believe them, which I don't.

    I am convinced second-hand
    I am convinced second-hand smoke is a cause. Why? because I don't think there is a female alive who hasn't been exposed to it. Sorry, I HATE tobacco and all it's products.
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Yah avoid soy for sure, also
    Yah avoid soy for sure, also sugar, and I heard on the news that women who eat a lot of meat have a 50% higher chance of developing cancer, men 30% higher chance....meat is the hard one for me!
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    dyaneb123 said:

    Yah avoid soy for sure, also
    Yah avoid soy for sure, also sugar, and I heard on the news that women who eat a lot of meat have a 50% higher chance of developing cancer, men 30% higher chance....meat is the hard one for me!

    It is red meat that is the
    It is red meat that is the problem, isn't it? White meat ... turkey, chicken, that is OK, right?
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    Soy is a natural estrogen
    I am estrogen negative but I was also told to avoid soy products, especially soy proteins. As others here have said, soy is in absolutely everything, so you really have to read labels. It's not as big of a deal if it's a minor ingredient in something, but especially avoid highly processed soy proteins such as soy burgers and tofu dogs (I used to eat those!). I try to stay away from it as much as possible. I can't tell you how long I stand in the dark chocolate aisle at Whole Foods trying to find a chocolate without soy lechitin as an emulsifier. It's everywhere.

    As for natural remedies for nausea, ginger might help. Store bought ginger tea, or you could make it yourself: put about an inch of fresh ginger into 2 cups of water; bring to boil; let it sit for a bit then strain out ginger and enjoy
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Nufferz said:

    Another thing to add
    Here's something else I found out, but don't remember where I read it.. if you're on Tamoxifen, don't eat pomegranates.
    I was reading labels on different products in the grocery store one day and looked at a tub of margerine. First ingredient listed? Soy bean oil. I have a heart problem, but by gosh, I'm going back to eating butter. Pfft!
    And I agree with Pammy, I've given up enough too. I'm eating my chocolate, dang it.
    BTW, cute avatar Pammy!! Love it!

    Thanks Nufferz!
    Thought I would dress up for Halloween...Teehee
    Pammy
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Tux said:

    I used soy products
    I used soy products extensively before bc. Stopped when diagnosed last summer. Went on tamoxifen a couple of weeks ago. I asked medical oncologist about my concerns & he said that just as tamoxifen blocked estrogen from my body, it would also block the estrogen from soy products. However, I am going to strictly limit my use of soy products from now on. No sense in getting more than I already have in my body.

    Tux
    That's a great question to ask the onco, I'm going to ask mine too when I get my prescri[ption next week, and see what she says it would be interesting to see if they agree!