Baldness

Options
Cat64
Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Ok, this may sound ridiculous, but being that I have never been bald before....how do we care for our heads? Is there something we should be putting on it? My scalp is really dry. Baby oil? I'm thinking it will be too shiny or it may dry it out more. Lotion? What do you use? I've always been sensitive to products with perfume so I don't know where to begin. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Cathy

Comments

• patti anne
    patti anne Member Posts: 101
    Options
    baby shampoo
    I just used baby shampoo..in fact, even though my hair is now coming in, I still use it...and would lotion it occasionally. I used regular lotion, nothing special. My head always seemed to be cold (I did chemo from Feb-May) so I wore a lot of hats.

Patti
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options

baby shampoo
    I just used baby shampoo..in fact, even though my hair is now coming in, I still use it...and would lotion it occasionally. I used regular lotion, nothing special. My head always seemed to be cold (I did chemo from Feb-May) so I wore a lot of hats.

Patti

Good question, I am also
    Good question, I am also bald right now. I have not put anything on my head. I have also started on the lashes. Thats a real bummer. Just in time for Halloween.
  • SunShineDay
    SunShineDay Member Posts: 9
    Options
    As for me, I do moisturize
    As for me, I do moisturize my scalp from time to time -- but mostly I just try to avoid harsh soaps in favor of more gentle cleansers ....
  • JmG86
    JmG86 Member Posts: 53
    Options
    When I lost my hair, I
    When I lost my hair, I continued to shampoo, but as Patti said, I used Johnson's Baby Shampoo and it worked fine. I wouldn't use soap on my head, that will dry it out. I would be careful of baby oil - it might make your scalp break out. This is a good time of the year - you can get away with wearing scarves and hats, and it won't make you sweat any more than you may already be if you are doing those fabulous hot flashes that make you feel like your body is about to go up in flames. Makes you look forward to the snow, so you can throw yourself head first into the nearest snowbank to cool off. Not that I've been there, having those wicked flashes or anything...
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    Options
    JmG86 said:

When I lost my hair, I
    When I lost my hair, I continued to shampoo, but as Patti said, I used Johnson's Baby Shampoo and it worked fine. I wouldn't use soap on my head, that will dry it out. I would be careful of baby oil - it might make your scalp break out. This is a good time of the year - you can get away with wearing scarves and hats, and it won't make you sweat any more than you may already be if you are doing those fabulous hot flashes that make you feel like your body is about to go up in flames. Makes you look forward to the snow, so you can throw yourself head first into the nearest snowbank to cool off. Not that I've been there, having those wicked flashes or anything...

Hey Cat
    I just use a perfume free lotion like Jergens and a baby shampoo to wash. My head was really sensitive until I started doing this. Works great..
    Coach
  • cindyc59
    cindyc59 Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Sam726 said:

Hey Cat
    I just use a perfume free lotion like Jergens and a baby shampoo to wash. My head was really sensitive until I started doing this. Works great..
    Coach

My hair seems like its
    My hair seems like its taking forever to grow back. My last chemo was June 31st.At first all the hair that was growing back was gray and baby fine. Now its brown with a few grays but only about an inch of growth. Did anyone else experience this? So sick of wigs and hats,plus my head gets hot and uncomfortable with wigs but then real cold without.
  • Cat64
    Options

baby shampoo

Patti

Patti
    Thanks for the suggestion. That's what they told me to use on the wigs too. I wear a turban for now while it's still warm & because I feel like I'm sleeping on one of those bristly foot mats! Love the puppies! They are adorable!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • Cat64
    Options

As for me, I do moisturize
    As for me, I do moisturize my scalp from time to time -- but mostly I just try to avoid harsh soaps in favor of more gentle cleansers ....

SSD
    Thanks! Makes sense to moisturize esp. while it's cold. You truly do look like a ray of sunshine! I'm envious of how great you look bald!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • Cat64
    Options
    Kat11 said:

Good question, I am also
    Good question, I am also bald right now. I have not put anything on my head. I have also started on the lashes. Thats a real bummer. Just in time for Halloween.

Kat
    Haven't lost the lashes or brows YET but the best part is no more shaving! Yes, we can pretty much be anything we want to be for Halloween!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • Cat64
    Options
    JmG86 said:

When I lost my hair, I

JmG
    You crack me up! Funny thing, I was getting hot/cold flashes before Chemo & now I haven't had any since. Not that I miss those or anything...I live in Florida so snow wouldn't be an option. I could however stick my head in the freezer if need be! So...you've been there already huh?
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • Cat64
    Options
    Sam726 said:

Hey Cat
    Coach

Sam
    Thanks Coach! Knew I could count on you! My hair is a little shorter than yours in the pic. Guess I'll have to take a pic of me & hubby's new doo's.
    Cat
  • Cat64
    Options
    cindyc59 said:

My hair seems like its
    My hair seems like its taking forever to grow back. My last chemo was June 31st.At first all the hair that was growing back was gray and baby fine. Now its brown with a few grays but only about an inch of growth. Did anyone else experience this? So sick of wigs and hats,plus my head gets hot and uncomfortable with wigs but then real cold without.

Cindy
    I'm sure it takes all the drugs some time to get out of your system. I read somewhere that the hair usually comes back darker or gray,curly or straight. Be patient, before ya know it you'll have a whole new beautiful head of hair!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Cat64 said:

JmG
    You crack me up! Funny thing, I was getting hot/cold flashes before Chemo & now I haven't had any since. Not that I miss those or anything...I live in Florida so snow wouldn't be an option. I could however stick my head in the freezer if need be! So...you've been there already huh?
    Hugz,
    Cathy

Baby Oil
    You would not want to use baby oil--it will clog your pores.
    I used scent free lotion a few times a week.

Hugs,
    Margo
  • cindyc59
    Options

Baby Oil

Hugs,
    Margo

Thanks Cathy!Hope you are
    Thanks Cathy!Hope you are right! Hoping to at least have enough by christmas to losethe wig and hats!
  • cindyc59
    Options

Baby Oil

Hugs,
    Margo

Thanks Cathy!Hope you are
    Thanks Cathy!Hope you are right! Hoping to at least have enough by christmas to losethe wig and hats!
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Options

baby shampoo

Patti

Me too
    I had chemo from November thru March. I have never felt that cold before. I hated the hats and wigs and only wore them outside, but at home I was sans hair all the time. My scalp was fine, no dry or oily scalp. The oncologist told me that during treatment I should be good to my skin and use only very mild soaps, so I chose Ivory (it floats!). I washed my scalp with it too and the skin always was soft as a baby's butt. As soon as it started growing back in I used Silkience and my new hair is baby soft.
    Hugs - Pat
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Options
    cindyc59 said:

My hair seems like its

Yes Cathy
    I couldn't wait for my hair to grow back and it seemed like it never would. I got stubble but it stayed like that from the end of March until almost the end of August. I was so upset because it was hot and I hated the wig and hats in the hot summer. Then I thought what the hell, I took off the wig and soon enough my previously grey straight hair was starting to come in curly. Its still very short, hardly an inch long, so I can't wait now to see if the curls last or what. I want to dye the gray out, but I'm going to wait and see what it looks like when its a bit longer and stronger.
    Pat