Hot flashes....uuuugggghhh

pinkkari09
pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My oncologist told me that the chemo would put me into early menopause, therefore I'm assuming all these hot flashes I'm having are a part of it. I'm 37 years old and in early menopause, yikes....any ancient Chinese secrets for hot flashes out there??? They warm me all day and they keep me up most the night.
Hot-cold, Hot-cold, Hot-cold,
Kari

Comments

• brenda247
    brenda247 Member Posts: 124
    I know the feeling
    Hey Kari,
    I saw your post and it really caught my eye. I dont have any chinese secrets but I can tell you I have those same things HOT-COLD it drives me crazy. I dont sleep much at nite due to I wake up feeling like I have a heater on me. I am 44 know it could be menopause of some sort but asked the dr about it and he said it was the chemo. I dont know if this info helps but you are absolutely not alone..
    I was told it would get better when I was done with chemo which I got done 3 weeks ago and it still is happening..
    Good luck to you and hang in there im sure it will get better for you..

Brenda
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    I don't know about anything
    I don't know about anything to help but I can relate... i am 36 and in chemo induced menopause... hot flashes totally suck... esp at night...My poor hubby the other day.. asked me if I was going to have the windows open all winter... I have to sleep with all the windows open, fan on full blast.. and I am still sweating all night... and lately its been in the 30's at night...
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Hi Kari
    So frustrating, isn't it? When I went on Tamoxifen last month I had the same thing. I understand it blocks your estrogen, so therefore mimics menopause. Was about to lose my mind! Oh, and I really got moody! I was taken off the Tamoxifen to have my ovaries removed. Now that I know I am in menopause, since they are gone, I expected major menopausal symtoms. Funny....it's been 2 weeks and nothing! Not a hot flash, nada!! I'm wondering if the Tamoxifen itself is the culprit. I started back on it last night, so I will be keeping a watchful eye on what happens. If you discover that ancient chinese secret, please share with us! Pammy
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    e_hope said:

I don't know about anything
    I don't know about anything to help but I can relate... i am 36 and in chemo induced menopause... hot flashes totally suck... esp at night...My poor hubby the other day.. asked me if I was going to have the windows open all winter... I have to sleep with all the windows open, fan on full blast.. and I am still sweating all night... and lately its been in the 30's at night...

Hot flashes
    I had hot flashes so bad from chemo induced menopause in March that I was sleeping with a window fan in the window and fan turned on high---I live in Maine--I had to close my bedroom door so that the furnace would not come on all the time.

I finished chemo on July 23rd--it does get better or it has for me.
    I find if I eat chocolate I have more hot flashes not only at night but during the day as well. I have found that jersey sheets are the best for me--they soak up the wetness and I don't wake up so much. Flannel sheets make you too hot so you wake up all the time and cotton sheets don't soak up the wetness and you wake up more.

It took about 2 months after chemo so it wasn't so bad.

Hugs, Margo
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399

Hot flashes
    I had hot flashes so bad from chemo induced menopause in March that I was sleeping with a window fan in the window and fan turned on high---I live in Maine--I had to close my bedroom door so that the furnace would not come on all the time.

I finished chemo on July 23rd--it does get better or it has for me.
    I find if I eat chocolate I have more hot flashes not only at night but during the day as well. I have found that jersey sheets are the best for me--they soak up the wetness and I don't wake up so much. Flannel sheets make you too hot so you wake up all the time and cotton sheets don't soak up the wetness and you wake up more.

It took about 2 months after chemo so it wasn't so bad.

Hugs, Margo

Herbal remedies
    I was advised to be careful with herbal and/or OTC remedies for hot flashes, as they may actually "feed" my estrogen-positive cancer. So probably the best person to ask about relief from the symptoms would be your oncologist. I don't like the hot flashes, but so for they've been tolerable. For me, it's nothing I haven't already done...like having menapause all over again. Hugs. Gracie