Anybody have the "tram" reconstruction surgery. How long will I be out from work.

Carmen Bedell
Carmen Bedell Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I need some info. Anybody have the "tram" reconstructive surgery or know someone who has had it done. I only work three days a week and curious how long before I can get back to work. I work in an office so there is no standing.... I am getting different answers from everybody I ask. THX.

Comments

• Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    Welcome
    I had a bilateral masectomy using my tummy tissue for my new breasts. I was off work for 7 weeks.. I probably could have gone back a bit sooner but I have a stressful job and my Doc thought I should be off just a bit longer. I was driving within a week and 1/2 (short distances). It all really depends on your body and how it heals. are you having the tummy flap or another jpart of your body?? I would at least expect a full 6 weeks... you want to make sure your good and healed..
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    welcome Carmen
    glad you found us, and I am sure soon someone who has had the "tram" will be posting for you. I had a "free" flap and was out of work three weeks, then back part time after that. I also work in an office where I am at a desk most of the time. Everyone heals differently, so even if the docs give you a timeframe, your body may say differently.
    Keep us up to date on your upcoming surgery!
    Cat
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Tram
    I had that type of surgery about 21 years ago, so I don't know if my experience helps as it was so long ago. I was out 6 wks but I have a job where I can't break much. About 12 years ago I had the SGAP "free" flap technique for the other breast. The free flap technique is easier for you if you can find a surgeon skilled in the technique. Definitely less down time and less pain for me.