Having a hard time with rads/ only 4 more to go

aurora2009
aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all, I haven't been on for awhile but thought I'd come here to get my spirts up. I've had 22 of 26 rad treatments done and am not doing so well. I mostly just work and sleep as soon as I get home. My skin is a deep red and under my arm it started peeling yesterday. The doctor has been keeping a close eye on it, for the last 2 weeks and keeps assuring me that if it get worse that she can give me some really good medication to take care of it. I wonder what shes going to say tomorrow when she sees the peeling. I'm really afraid it's going to start uzing too. She's been telling me to take it easier at work, and I try but it's hard when your short handed.
Sorry I guess I'm just ranting, no one at home seems to understand what I'm going through, I mean I know they care, but I've been really grouchy lately and I guess I'm not making it easy for them either.
I thought i'd come here and see if anyone who has done rad's or is doing them is having the saame problems.
I've missed you all.
And to all the new comer, please keep posting,

God Bless
Aurora

Comments

  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Feeling your pain! Mine got
    Feeling your pain! Mine got really bad at about #25 (out of 33). All I did was work, rads, back to work, & sleep. I saw a pic on this website of the underside of the area in bad condition (it was quickly zapped off), but mine looked the same. I bought white flannel at the fabric store & cut it into 9 x 9 squares, put 2 together, & put it in my bra at the affected site.

    I was really scared that the area would get too sore & they would delay the rads. I just wanted to get it over with!

    Also, the nurse gave me "domeboro soak" - it is a powder that you mix with water, place cloths in it, & soak the affected area 4 times a day. It really helped a lot.

    I felt terrible by the end of rads-everything made me sick on my stomach-like morning sickness. I kept Vicks near me all the time-it was the only smell I could stand.

    I normally do not drink carbonated beverages, but Sprite was about the only thing I could drink.

    Try to hang in there- Hugs & prayers sent your way...
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490
    Tux said:

    Feeling your pain! Mine got
    Feeling your pain! Mine got really bad at about #25 (out of 33). All I did was work, rads, back to work, & sleep. I saw a pic on this website of the underside of the area in bad condition (it was quickly zapped off), but mine looked the same. I bought white flannel at the fabric store & cut it into 9 x 9 squares, put 2 together, & put it in my bra at the affected site.

    I was really scared that the area would get too sore & they would delay the rads. I just wanted to get it over with!

    Also, the nurse gave me "domeboro soak" - it is a powder that you mix with water, place cloths in it, & soak the affected area 4 times a day. It really helped a lot.

    I felt terrible by the end of rads-everything made me sick on my stomach-like morning sickness. I kept Vicks near me all the time-it was the only smell I could stand.

    I normally do not drink carbonated beverages, but Sprite was about the only thing I could drink.

    Try to hang in there- Hugs & prayers sent your way...

    Now you guys are scaring me,
    Now you guys are scaring me, I will be starting mine on the 26th. Not looking forward to it after this hernia surgery, that in itself has really knocked me down!
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    lanie940 said:

    Now you guys are scaring me,
    Now you guys are scaring me, I will be starting mine on the 26th. Not looking forward to it after this hernia surgery, that in itself has really knocked me down!

    Sorry, lanie, didn't mean to
    Sorry, lanie, didn't mean to scare you. I also had gangrene in a tooth the last week of rads, so I was really pretty sick at the end from that. I think I would have felt a lot better if I didn't have the tooth problem. I was on 2 rounds of antibiotics, too.

    I was really worn out from my job, too. I worked straight through with no break from 6 a.m., then went to rads, home for a little bit to rest, & then back to work to finish up the day's tasks (usually done by 9 p.m.) Husband was a big help, but it was still rough.
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490
    Tux said:

    Sorry, lanie, didn't mean to
    Sorry, lanie, didn't mean to scare you. I also had gangrene in a tooth the last week of rads, so I was really pretty sick at the end from that. I think I would have felt a lot better if I didn't have the tooth problem. I was on 2 rounds of antibiotics, too.

    I was really worn out from my job, too. I worked straight through with no break from 6 a.m., then went to rads, home for a little bit to rest, & then back to work to finish up the day's tasks (usually done by 9 p.m.) Husband was a big help, but it was still rough.

    Well, I don't work, I only
    Well, I don't work, I only get up early to go to my son's to get my grandson off to school. Then I come home. Starting next week, the 26th, my RAD appointments are 11:20 for a few days until the 9:30 spot opens up when some other man will be finished. Then in the afternoon, I go down about 2:30 to get ready to pick my grandson up after school. So, anyways. My Radiologist told me to use pure aloe on my breast 3 times daily. I will have 25 full breast, and then 5 boosts. I should be done by 2nd week in December. Hopefully the weather will hold. I'll just rest a lot.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Don't wait
    I was lucky Aurora, I only got pink, and, only got burnt next to my collarbone, but, it wasn't that bad, and I had 35 treatments. Don't wait is my advice for the new creams. Get it tomorrow from your rads oncologist. You know yourself and your body and there is no since in going thru something when you don't need to. Rads are hard, no matter what others say. And, rads will take all of your energy, if you don't get lots and lots of rest. And, sometimes they even have to stop them for awhile for the patient to heal. Just get the help now before you get worse.


    Kristin ♥
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    lanie940 said:

    Well, I don't work, I only
    Well, I don't work, I only get up early to go to my son's to get my grandson off to school. Then I come home. Starting next week, the 26th, my RAD appointments are 11:20 for a few days until the 9:30 spot opens up when some other man will be finished. Then in the afternoon, I go down about 2:30 to get ready to pick my grandson up after school. So, anyways. My Radiologist told me to use pure aloe on my breast 3 times daily. I will have 25 full breast, and then 5 boosts. I should be done by 2nd week in December. Hopefully the weather will hold. I'll just rest a lot.

    Lanie
    I'm so sorry I didn't mean to scare you, alot of women get through rads with nothing more than excessive fatige. My problem is that I've been working 5 days a week from 8 to 3 and I have a very labor intensixve job, especially right now during the holiday season. I've had to wear a bra every day and most of the dicomfort is coming from that and the movemorement that I do with my arms.
    That's why my doctor keeps telling me tyo take it easy, she would be even happier if I could take some time off. I'm getting disability payments for the time I niss from work, but that just isn'T cutting it, because they take so long to receive.
    Mostly i'm just ranting I guess, when I'm tired I get in a bad mood, and that's why I haven't been on the boards alot lately. I'm just trying to push through this.

    Tux thats for the suggestrion, I'll ask my doctor about that powder any relief I can get would be great.

    My suggestion for everyone starting rads, is buy flannel, I've tryed every type of soft cotton and it's just not soft enough, don't work if you don't have to, and get plenty of rest.

    Aurora
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    lanie940 said:

    Well, I don't work, I only
    Well, I don't work, I only get up early to go to my son's to get my grandson off to school. Then I come home. Starting next week, the 26th, my RAD appointments are 11:20 for a few days until the 9:30 spot opens up when some other man will be finished. Then in the afternoon, I go down about 2:30 to get ready to pick my grandson up after school. So, anyways. My Radiologist told me to use pure aloe on my breast 3 times daily. I will have 25 full breast, and then 5 boosts. I should be done by 2nd week in December. Hopefully the weather will hold. I'll just rest a lot.

    Lanie
    I'm so sorry I didn't mean to scare you, alot of women get through rads with nothing more than excessive fatige. My problem is that I've been working 5 days a week from 8 to 3 and I have a very labor intensive job, especially right now during the holiday season. I've had to wear a bra every day and most of the dicomfort is coming from that and the movement that I do with my arms.
    That's why my doctor keeps telling me to take it easy, she would be even happier if I could take some time off. I'm getting disability payments for the time I miss from work, but that just isn't cutting it, because they take so long to receive.
    Mostly I'm just ranting I guess, when I'm tired I get in a bad mood, and that's why I haven't been on the boards alot lately. I'm just trying to push through this.

    Tux thats for the suggestrion, I'll ask my doctor about that powder any relief I can get would be great.

    My suggestion for everyone starting rads, is buy flannel, I've tryed every type of soft cotton and it's just not soft enough, don't work if you don't have to, and get plenty of rest, oh and don't wear a bra if you don't have too!

    Aurora
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Kristin N said:

    Don't wait
    I was lucky Aurora, I only got pink, and, only got burnt next to my collarbone, but, it wasn't that bad, and I had 35 treatments. Don't wait is my advice for the new creams. Get it tomorrow from your rads oncologist. You know yourself and your body and there is no since in going thru something when you don't need to. Rads are hard, no matter what others say. And, rads will take all of your energy, if you don't get lots and lots of rest. And, sometimes they even have to stop them for awhile for the patient to heal. Just get the help now before you get worse.


    Kristin ♥

    Thanks Kisten
    I will do that, sorry for the doudle post, I forgot to mention that I am also receiving a booster with all 26 treatments, I think that might have something to do with it also.
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670

    Thanks Kisten
    I will do that, sorry for the doudle post, I forgot to mention that I am also receiving a booster with all 26 treatments, I think that might have something to do with it also.

    Aurora
    Just wanted to tell you that im sorry you are having such a hard time with your rads right now. I hope your dr does something about it for you and like now. I have been wondering how you are. I will keep you in my prayers and pray it gets better. You are almost there.

    take care
    laura
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    lolad said:

    Aurora
    Just wanted to tell you that im sorry you are having such a hard time with your rads right now. I hope your dr does something about it for you and like now. I have been wondering how you are. I will keep you in my prayers and pray it gets better. You are almost there.

    take care
    laura

    Thank you Laura
    I've been thinking about you too. I'm so sorry I missed your graduation from chemo, I'm so happy that it's over for you now. I hope your feeling better.
    Take Care and god bless yoy and your family.

    Aurora
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Sorry to hear that you are
    Sorry to hear that you are feeling so tired and that you are beginning to peel. But just think....just four more days. You can do it! I remember the days of rads/work/sleep. Radiation is cumulative, so you may continue feeling tired for a while. Rest as much as you can. xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    lynn1950 said:

    Sorry to hear that you are
    Sorry to hear that you are feeling so tired and that you are beginning to peel. But just think....just four more days. You can do it! I remember the days of rads/work/sleep. Radiation is cumulative, so you may continue feeling tired for a while. Rest as much as you can. xoxoxoxo Lynn

    Hi Aurora - Rest and Rest and Rest some more!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am so sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your skin, BUT, you are almost DONE! YIPPEE! I can't wait to celebrate with you. Don't wait to get help for your burn, get it tomorrow. I had a couple of little burns before I got done, but, it wasn't bad. My problem was that I got that stupid radiation dermatitis where I just itched and itched and itched. OOOOOOOOOOOO, bad memories! lol But, my rads oncologist gave me a prescription for it right away and it stopped it. So, get something for your burn NOW! Really proud of you Aurora! Rads are hard to get thru and you are almost done! YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE again!

    ♥ Noel
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Noel said:

    Hi Aurora - Rest and Rest and Rest some more!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am so sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your skin, BUT, you are almost DONE! YIPPEE! I can't wait to celebrate with you. Don't wait to get help for your burn, get it tomorrow. I had a couple of little burns before I got done, but, it wasn't bad. My problem was that I got that stupid radiation dermatitis where I just itched and itched and itched. OOOOOOOOOOOO, bad memories! lol But, my rads oncologist gave me a prescription for it right away and it stopped it. So, get something for your burn NOW! Really proud of you Aurora! Rads are hard to get thru and you are almost done! YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE again!

    ♥ Noel

    Thank you Lynn and Noel
    The itching just started yesterday, and I sure hope she has something up her sleve to get rid of it, she mentioned something about cortizone, but I'm going to wait until tomorrow before I go out and buy that.
    Today just seems to be getting worse as the day passes I'm not even sure I'm going to work tomorrow at the rate.

    Thank you everyone for all your kind words. I'm afraid I haven't been much support for anyone lately and I really appreciate being able yo come here and vent.

    Aurora
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member

    Thank you Lynn and Noel
    The itching just started yesterday, and I sure hope she has something up her sleve to get rid of it, she mentioned something about cortizone, but I'm going to wait until tomorrow before I go out and buy that.
    Today just seems to be getting worse as the day passes I'm not even sure I'm going to work tomorrow at the rate.

    Thank you everyone for all your kind words. I'm afraid I haven't been much support for anyone lately and I really appreciate being able yo come here and vent.

    Aurora

    This is what worked for me
    They gave me cortizone too, but, it didn't help for the itches. Someone said that the prescription cortizone helped them, mine was just over the counter. My rads oncologist gave me a prescription for Triamcinolone Acetonide cream and it HELPED! It took care of the itching as soon as I put it on. You might try it too, IF, your rads oncologist says ok. Good luck!

    ♥ Noel
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    So sorry Aurora...
    Yep, had the itching, peeling and fatigue. All modesty went out the window as soon as I was told "do not wear a bra!". So I got use to wearing a scarf tied around my neck and hanging so pretty down the front! Wore a tank top, button up blouse, vest and scarf....you couldn't tell with all those layers! The peeling didn't hurt, just looked like I had too much sun at a nudest coloney! Ewww....it didn't really peel (that I could have handled) it more or less flaked! The itching drove me bonkers! All I was able to use was 100% Pure Aloe and I used alot of it! Worked great. Amazing how quick your skin starts to heal after the last dose. I had 36 treatments all together. Now the fatigue....I have no idea how you (or anyone) continues to work during rads. Kudos to anyone that manages that!! But I can only imagine that you would only be able to work, sleep and hopefully eat too. Radiation is so taxing to your body. It is very doable with the knowledge that extra rest is required. Sometimes YOU have no choice.....your body decides for you. So be extra kind to yourself this last week as you finish up. You've made it this far, but better to sacrifice a day or two of work then a few weeks because you totally collapsed! Remember....only do what is needed to sustain life till you recuperate! Keep us posted and I am looking forward to celebrating your last day with you! Pammy