Finally-hair chopped off

laurissa
laurissa Member Posts: 773
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Today was the day to unload the mop off my head before I was tripping over it. My sister went wild with the scissors and before I knew it, it was a distant memory. She did good. My new picture in on my profile expressions. Before long, even that will be gone. Next step is the clippers. Sister has joined the site, too, for support.

Comments

• lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    laurissa
    I did the same thing, i cut it first, then came the clippers. So, how do you feel? I posted something to your sister. You are lucky to have that wonderful support group.

take care
    laura
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Very cute!
    You probably wish you hadn't waited so long. Your new "do" looks really good on you!

I know you're not looking forward to the next step, but even it will have some positives, with the ability to experiment with your appearance, and the lack of maintenance.

It's probably easy for me to say, since I'm not facing the hair loss yet, and may not have to, but even as bad as it may seem try to remember that it will only be temporary.

You ARE beautiful!
    Cindy
  • ata2d
    ata2d Member Posts: 6
    me too
    I donated my hair to locks of love before I started chemo shaved it the day after my 2nd chemo (had to it hurt allot like wearing a ponytail too tight for too long). I had thought losing my hair was going to be horrid it was down to my waist but I loved being bald. Nothing to shampoo condition dye shave straighten or curl. My husband shaves his head and we got very cute pix too. Good luck and God bless.
  • Crystlesmom
    Crystlesmom Member Posts: 20
    ata2d said:

me too
    I donated my hair to locks of love before I started chemo shaved it the day after my 2nd chemo (had to it hurt allot like wearing a ponytail too tight for too long). I had thought losing my hair was going to be horrid it was down to my waist but I loved being bald. Nothing to shampoo condition dye shave straighten or curl. My husband shaves his head and we got very cute pix too. Good luck and God bless.

Way to go.....
    ......or at least that is what everyone told me!! Chop it off before it happens!! I did and it was liberating. I had long hair, then when it started to fall out, I went to a short 'do and love it. A week later, I chopped it off and it really was kind of liberating in way. I wear a wig to work, but mostly for my co-workers, as I think my being bald makes them uncomfortable. At home, or just out and about, it's either a turbin or just natural!! LOL

When you experience the 'dragon' you realize just how unimportant hair becomes :>)

Hang in there
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769

Way to go.....
    ......or at least that is what everyone told me!! Chop it off before it happens!! I did and it was liberating. I had long hair, then when it started to fall out, I went to a short 'do and love it. A week later, I chopped it off and it really was kind of liberating in way. I wear a wig to work, but mostly for my co-workers, as I think my being bald makes them uncomfortable. At home, or just out and about, it's either a turbin or just natural!! LOL

When you experience the 'dragon' you realize just how unimportant hair becomes :>)

Hang in there

I love
    I love your hair short.
    It will grow back.

Hang in there.
    Hugs,
    Margo
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

I love
    I love your hair short.
    It will grow back.

Hang in there.
    Hugs,
    Margo

You look so cute!
    Laurissa, you look so cute with short hair -- you may have found a new style for when it grows back!

Traci
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    Laurissa
    I love your new look - if only for a week or two - it's so cute. And before long, it will be growing back! You're beautiful!
    -Jenny
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Laurissa
    Isnt that a hard step to take??? Then again, you get to take control which isnt a bad thing.

I finished chemo last wk and I look every day to see if anything is growing back, and so far nothing.

Hang in there

Hugs
    LInda T
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Cute style
    Laurissa, you really do wear short hair well! You will probably be one of those that look good bald too! (Shhhh....I think everyone looks good bald!). Pammy
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    Laurissa, you look
    Laurissa, you look fantastic! I think short is a great style for you. With all those natural waves...are you kidding me?!!!!! Good luck with the next step...and remember it will grow back! Pitt
  • BunnyJane
    BunnyJane Member Posts: 213
    pitt said:

Laurissa, you look
    Laurissa, you look fantastic! I think short is a great style for you. With all those natural waves...are you kidding me?!!!!! Good luck with the next step...and remember it will grow back! Pitt

A New Look
    You look fabulous with your new hair style! Good luck with treatment #2.
    Jane
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    BunnyJane said:

A New Look
    You look fabulous with your new hair style! Good luck with treatment #2.
    Jane

Laurissa, you look beautiful
    Laurissa, you look beautiful with your short hair!

Sue :)
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Hi Laurissa
    Hi Laurissa,

I have been reading your posts and it sounds that I am right on your back door, sorry that I have not posted much. I found out today that I get my port in next Friday with Chemo starting the following week and radiation after that. I am dreading it. It seems like everyone is dragging their feet. I think that I should be farther along by now with my treatment but I guess I could say "who wants to start that crap?" haha..I wish you luck with your hair, your picture looks good, mine will be next. My Onc predicted about 10 days after 1st chemo.
  • SunShineDay
    SunShineDay Member Posts: 9
    ata2d said:

me too

Locks Of Love
    I did the same -- waited until my long hair was clearly falling out (after two or so treatments), then visited a salon and donated it. Enjoyed the short pixie haircut they gave me as a result for several days before it just obviously had to go (too much shedding!) -- and shaving it with the help of my mom. Believe it or not, now that I'm used to it I find baldness rather liberating...! In any case, I know it's temporary at least :-)....

Here's wishing you the best,

Sunny
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Thanks all
    My sister did a good job cutting it. Its starting to fall out more, not clumping yet but more strands at a time. I wish it would hurry up.
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    laurissa said:

Thanks all
    My sister did a good job cutting it. Its starting to fall out more, not clumping yet but more strands at a time. I wish it would hurry up.

Laurissa I'm with you! My
    Laurissa I'm with you! My hair started really coming out today. Every time I touch it or comb it a wad of hair comes out. My eyebrows are also shedding. I just wish it would be over already. I'm not shaving my head just yet because I have a lot more hair to go at least today I do.
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    natly15 said:

Laurissa I'm with you! My
    Laurissa I'm with you! My hair started really coming out today. Every time I touch it or comb it a wad of hair comes out. My eyebrows are also shedding. I just wish it would be over already. I'm not shaving my head just yet because I have a lot more hair to go at least today I do.

Laurissa/Natly
    Looks like I beat ya both to the punchline. Yesterday my hair was coming out in handfuls. I had a party to go to at my Onc.'s office last night so I just wanted one more public outing with hair! I bought a hairnet,put on a bandana,had a great time-won a basket of soaps, bath oils,etc.. with the cutest little Anne Geddes baby,also got a bag of all kinds of free stuff,ate good,met some survivors,came home & handed my two teenagers the scissors and had them chop it all off. Then we shaved it. I made it through with no tears! I refuse to let the beast get the best of me! Once it started falling out I was getting the worse headaches. I feel better now. One more step closer!
    Hugz,
    Cathy