William "Bill" Parkinson

Kentr
Kentr Member Posts: 111
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Hi Bill,

I've been reading your responses to various people and it appears you are quite informed regarding Prostate cancer issues. May I ask what your medical qualifications are?

Kent

Comments

• William Parkinson
    William Parkinson Member Posts: 60 Member
    Hi Kent. Well, I was once on
    Hi Kent. Well, I was once on my way to becoming an oncologist. I come from a medical family. I thought, however, that I did not have the disposition to watch people die. Back then, I was interested in foreign body sarcoma development. In any event, I instead went to grad school and got a MS, MA, and finally a PhD. I too have prostate cancer and have read the medical literature extensively. I am lucky, I can still read the medical argot and I have not forgotten my basic oncology classes. So, I read everything I can get my hands on and try to remember it so that I can inform others as best I can. Right now I am looking at so-called immunophilins and their ability to preserve cavernosal nerve function after surgery (that is, to preserve potency after RP). No one would want to take a drug like FK506 (tacrolimus) unless they needed to be immune suppressed, but there are offshoots that don't have this feature. They can help with oxidative stress among other things. So the trail with everolimus was of some interest to me. Anyway, I hope this answers your question.
    Cheers
    Bill
  • gkoper
    gkoper Member Posts: 173

Hi Kent. Well, I was once on my way to becoming an oncologist. I come from a medical family. I thought, however, that I did not have the disposition to watch people die. Back then, I was interested in foreign body sarcoma development. In any event, I instead went to grad school and got a MS, MA, and finally a PhD. I too have prostate cancer and have read the medical literature extensively. I am lucky, I can still read the medical argot and I have not forgotten my basic oncology classes. So, I read everything I can get my hands on and try to remember it so that I can inform others as best I can. Right now I am looking at so-called immunophilins and their ability to preserve cavernosal nerve function after surgery (that is, to preserve potency after RP). No one would want to take a drug like FK506 (tacrolimus) unless they needed to be immune suppressed, but there are offshoots that don't have this feature. They can help with oxidative stress among other things. So the trail with everolimus was of some interest to me. Anyway, I hope this answers your question.
    Cheers
    Bill

Welcome aboard Bill
    We need bright ,inquiring minds like yours to keep us updated on new treatments that can help US beat the beast.
    Thanks,
    George
  • steckley
    steckley Member Posts: 100

Cheers
    Bill

Thanks
    Bill,

Thank you for the time and effort you have taken to prepare your responses. They are very much to the point and very understandable ... a great help.

Bob
  • William Parkinson
    William Parkinson Member Posts: 60 Member
    steckley said:

Thanks
    Bill,

Thank you for the time and effort you have taken to prepare your responses. They are very much to the point and very understandable ... a great help.

Bob

Thx guys for the welcome!! I
    Thx guys for the welcome!! I hope the info can help someone besides myself. We all face this disease and all of us need to find answers to what might work best for us.
  • Kentr
    Kentr Member Posts: 111

Thx guys for the welcome!! I
    Thx guys for the welcome!! I hope the info can help someone besides myself. We all face this disease and all of us need to find answers to what might work best for us.

Thanks Bill
    Just a quick note to say thanks for all your efforts and to let you know we all deeply appreciate your input

Kent