Squamous cell carcinoma. Unknown primary. First found on shoulder blade and surrounding muscle and o

Options
wmjnt
wmjnt Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Rare and Other Cancers #1
I have searched this entire site and have not found anyone with this type of cancer in this location. The bracial plexes nerves, veins and artery are all involved. We were told it was very rare but I am hoping to hear from someone else with the same dx or perhaps their caregiver.
My husband was diagnosed when he had surgery in early September, 2009. The tumor was huge and required removal of the entire serratus muscle along with other malignant tissue found between the rib cage and the chest wall . The surgeon considered amputation of his arm when he found the tumor also wrapped around the nerves, artery and veins of my husband's right arm. The cancer has metastcised to two lymph nodes, one near his heart and the other under his arm.
He is now having radiation therapy and oral chemo drugs. Please respond if you have any experience or knowledge of this very aggessive cancer.

Update: 2/20/10- He has finished radiation, zolodia, tarceva and now will begin taxel beginning next week. The cancer continues to spread and grow. It is now in his lungs.
Please, please let me know if you have ever heard of anyone with this awful aggressive monster!

Update 3/12/10 - He has completed first round of three weekly infusions of taxol. Has experienced thinning of hair but has not lost all yet. Very anemic and receiving Aranesp injections to help build up red blood cells and also received two units of blood this week. Cancer still advancing, now possibly in abdomen. Next scan in a few weeks, hope it is not as bad as it seems right now. This is so hard!

wmjnt