Brain Cancer Grade IV

marie_childress
marie_childress Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Brain Cancer #1
My husband age 46 was told in the end of May 09, that he has Brain cancer, that has spread from his lung cancer grade IV, can anyone help me with time lines?? he has had a problem with his communication skills, however, he is walking, and eating. I want to help prepare myself and my children. Has taken all the radiation treatment he could.

Comments

• sue Siwek
    sue Siwek Member Posts: 279
    when my husband was dealing
    when my husband was dealing with brain cancer he had trouble communicating, speech therapy help. i don't know how you prepare children or yourself for this disease. i think you just live it the best you can. you must have young children. my children were adults when their father was diagnosed and it was hard on them. they learned to treasure every moment with him. my 4 children are all men but they hug, kiss and tell their father they love him when ever they are with him. i guess i would see this as not just a fear filled time in their and your life but a teaching moment. they need to see their father so you can't really protect them from the changes that are happening to all of you. you just have to trust yourself and get family and friends involved to give you a break. also, this may be the time to arrange for hospice if you should need it.
  • marie_childress
    marie_childress Member Posts: 8
    sue Siwek said:

when my husband was dealing
    when my husband was dealing with brain cancer he had trouble communicating, speech therapy help. i don't know how you prepare children or yourself for this disease. i think you just live it the best you can. you must have young children. my children were adults when their father was diagnosed and it was hard on them. they learned to treasure every moment with him. my 4 children are all men but they hug, kiss and tell their father they love him when ever they are with him. i guess i would see this as not just a fear filled time in their and your life but a teaching moment. they need to see their father so you can't really protect them from the changes that are happening to all of you. you just have to trust yourself and get family and friends involved to give you a break. also, this may be the time to arrange for hospice if you should need it.

Hospice
    We have hospice coming in twice a week in our home, as he is terminal and their is noting else the Dr.s can do. I was wondering did your husband have state IV and lung, and bone cancer? I really would like to find out what to expect, so I can help prepare the children, and myself. My husband has thyroid cancer for 5 years and lung for 1 year and advanced brain cancer for 5 months. He will not be taking any therapy as it will not help.

Thank you.
  • sue Siwek
    sue Siwek Member Posts: 279

Hospice
    We have hospice coming in twice a week in our home, as he is terminal and their is noting else the Dr.s can do. I was wondering did your husband have state IV and lung, and bone cancer? I really would like to find out what to expect, so I can help prepare the children, and myself. My husband has thyroid cancer for 5 years and lung for 1 year and advanced brain cancer for 5 months. He will not be taking any therapy as it will not help.

Thank you.

my husbands brain cancer was
    my husbands brain cancer was a primary cancer, meaning that it began in the brain and was not a result of some other cancer. i can't really guide you because your husbands brain cancer is a result of other cancers. all i can say is that i don't believe you can prepare for the future with this disease. make sure he is comfortable, that you and the children spend time with him and love him and let him love all of you. so sorry that i can't give anything exact, it just doesn't exist, we are all different and react to the same situations differently. i hope you have family near by to comfort you and give you some relief. keep this site posted i will be watching.