Nausea meds

Options
2»

Comments

• tnstudent
    tnstudent Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Buzzard said:

During our snowstorm I had the neighbor (which is a nurse)
    take my 5fu needle out when it ran out. I wasn't going to wait til the following Monday so I asked her can you and she said yes and the rest is history. You are your own advocate and if you want it out take it out if you can stomach it. What are they gonna do fire ya ? LOL...or simply find a nurse close to you that you trust and have her do it with nothing said......

I wouldn't have a problem
    I wouldn't have a problem taking it out. Nothing too it. I am diabetic on insulin 3 times a day so needles don't bother me at all. I just thought that they had to flush the port and do some kind of special stuff to it and the pump before disconnecting it. I don't have a problem with it at all. Just didn't want to do anything to cause problems.
  • shrevebud
    shrevebud Member Posts: 105
    Options
    Nausea
    Hi Amy:

I too take Compazine, however, I don't have any problems. I was going to mention but see where someone else already mentioned it but there is a newer medicine out there called Kaytril or Kytril. I've taken it on a sample basis. You might have to get pre-authoriziation to cover it. Just a suggestion, Hope he gets some relief soon. Take care. Roy
  • johnsfo
    johnsfo Member Posts: 47
    Options
    shrevebud said:

Nausea
    Hi Amy:

I too take Compazine, however, I don't have any problems. I was going to mention but see where someone else already mentioned it but there is a newer medicine out there called Kaytril or Kytril. I've taken it on a sample basis. You might have to get pre-authoriziation to cover it. Just a suggestion, Hope he gets some relief soon. Take care. Roy

nausea
    Amy,

So many good suggestions here, so let me just tell you what has worked for me. With oxalyplatin and xeloda, I was given Aloxi and Decadron intravenously before the infusions began. The oncologist and nurses gave me many anti-nausea medications to take at home, none of which worked. Smoking marijuana relieved the nausea within seconds, and it gave me an appetite when I was unable to eat. If your husband has asthma or other lung problems, though, that might not be a good idea. Some people I know have prescriptions for marinol, a prescription pharmaceutical derived from marijuana. They report varying success with it.

More recently, I was having infusions of irinotecan. Because I have severe pain from a metastasis at the sacrum, marijuana does not work -- it makes me feel the pain intensely. While I was having the irinotecan infusions, I took Promethazine for nausea -- the best antinausea pill I've found; and I took lorazepam also -- it works too. Problem: if your husband takes the two together, he will probably not feel nauseated, but he will probably be very sleepy (I took them when the last infusion just began, and I fell asleep half-way through the infusion -- at around noon -- and pretty much slept until 7PM). He should not drive while taking these meds! The onc nurses also gave me extra intravenous atropine before the infusions of irinotecan -- that helped too.

Nausea can be awful, different people respond differently to various treatments, so keep trying what others suggest until you find some combination that works for your husband. One more tiny suggestion: marijuana is not legal here in CA either, but it would be an exceptionally cruel person who would bother a cancer patient about taking it for chemo-induced nausea -- with oxy, in my experience, it is far and away the best treatment for nausea.

John
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    johnsfo said:

nausea
    Amy,

So many good suggestions here, so let me just tell you what has worked for me. With oxalyplatin and xeloda, I was given Aloxi and Decadron intravenously before the infusions began. The oncologist and nurses gave me many anti-nausea medications to take at home, none of which worked. Smoking marijuana relieved the nausea within seconds, and it gave me an appetite when I was unable to eat. If your husband has asthma or other lung problems, though, that might not be a good idea. Some people I know have prescriptions for marinol, a prescription pharmaceutical derived from marijuana. They report varying success with it.

More recently, I was having infusions of irinotecan. Because I have severe pain from a metastasis at the sacrum, marijuana does not work -- it makes me feel the pain intensely. While I was having the irinotecan infusions, I took Promethazine for nausea -- the best antinausea pill I've found; and I took lorazepam also -- it works too. Problem: if your husband takes the two together, he will probably not feel nauseated, but he will probably be very sleepy (I took them when the last infusion just began, and I fell asleep half-way through the infusion -- at around noon -- and pretty much slept until 7PM). He should not drive while taking these meds! The onc nurses also gave me extra intravenous atropine before the infusions of irinotecan -- that helped too.

Nausea can be awful, different people respond differently to various treatments, so keep trying what others suggest until you find some combination that works for your husband. One more tiny suggestion: marijuana is not legal here in CA either, but it would be an exceptionally cruel person who would bother a cancer patient about taking it for chemo-induced nausea -- with oxy, in my experience, it is far and away the best treatment for nausea.

John

HI John
    I though pot was legal in CA. At least on the state level. I know the feds don't care but I thought the people voted it OK for medicinal use.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Hi Amy
    Sorry to hear you husband is having a rough time with the nausea. I found what works best by far is pot. It's not legal where I live either but it certainly is available. It did/does wonders for nausea, pain, appetite, and just overall feeling better and made me want to do things instead of lying there sick. I know it's against the law but letting a cancer patient suffer when there is an inexpensive tried and true alternative out there is a crime and should be illegal too.
    That is my opinion on it. I hope he finds relief.
    -phil
  • grammadebbie
    grammadebbie Member Posts: 464
    Options
    PhillieG said:

HI John
    I though pot was legal in CA. At least on the state level. I know the feds don't care but I thought the people voted it OK for medicinal use.

Legal
    I used medical marijuana, I got a prescription for it and went to a legal clinic to get a license to use, carry and grow for personal use. I then had to get the marijuana from a licensed dispensary.(I think thats what they called it). I was fortunate enough to find one that actually came to my house. Very professional with a briefcase full of samples of different types, with descriptions etc. The whole thing was very professional. Just like going to a doctors office and pharmacy.

I believe it is legal on the state level but not the federal. They do not go after the individual from what I've seen. They go after the dispensary.

I had all the nausea medications and this is the only thing that really worked for me. 2 puffs and that was all it took.

Hope this is helpful.

Debbie (gramma)
  • AceSFO
    AceSFO Member Posts: 229
    Options
    PhillieG said:

HI John

Hi, Phil
    yup. We did vote to legalize it and it passed, but the clinics still get hassled and shut down. It's easier to get it the old-fashioned way.
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    PhillieG said:

Hi Amy
    Sorry to hear you husband is having a rough time with the nausea. I found what works best by far is pot. It's not legal where I live either but it certainly is available. It did/does wonders for nausea, pain, appetite, and just overall feeling better and made me want to do things instead of lying there sick. I know it's against the law but letting a cancer patient suffer when there is an inexpensive tried and true alternative out there is a crime and should be illegal too.
    That is my opinion on it. I hope he finds relief.
    -phil

I only felt icky (queasy)
    I only felt icky (queasy) three times after tx 11 and 12. A Phenergan took care of that immediately. I've never been much of a thrower upper so I can't help with that.

What other health condition does hubby have that qualifies him for SSI? Other health conditions might change our answers!

I did want to mention that disconnect includes flushing with heparin to prevent clotting so it's more than pulling out a needle.

Amy, I know you're trying to do your best to care for your husband, but could it be that you're making him nervous by taking his temp or watching him constantly? I know it would freak me out. :o)