Hi

hopeful and optimistic
hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,346 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Since I have prostate cancer, I generally post at that forum, however, today, my 91 year old mother has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She lives in northern new jersey, just outside new york city.

She has used Englewood, New Jersey Hospital in the past and is happy with the , I believe regional hospital. Today, she underwent various tests at the hospital where she was diagnosed. The doctors that she and my brother spoke with told her that there would be an outpatient procedure, that there would be no kemo or that she would not loss a breast. Her cardiolist, who she trusts recommended a Dr.Sussmam to do the surgery. I don't know anything about this doctors credentials, background or successes, or do I think my mother.

Any decision if of course my mothers especially since I live in ca and my mother is very independent, however I believe that there is a nationally known hospital, Sloan Kettering in NYC, for the treatment of cancer. I don't know who the better and more experienced doctors for this procedure are at htis institution, also there may be other hospitals in the NYC or Northern NJ area that specialize in the treatment of breast cancer. Hopefully you can recommend others and the better doctor at these institutions.

Thanks
Ira

Comments

• cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Welcome!
    Since I'm also in CA, I can't help with your information request, but I wanted to wish both you and your mother a speedy road to recovery.
    As I'm sure you already know, this site is a great resource.
    Best of luck,
    Cindy
  • hopeful and optimistic
    Cindy, thanks for your kindness
    for wishes of speedy recovery.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003

Cindy, thanks for your kindness
    for wishes of speedy recovery.

I live in Philadelphia and
    I live in Philadelphia and there is a wonderful cancer center here. It is called Fox Chase Cancer Center, I went there for my radiation and they were wonderful.
  • JmG86
    JmG86 Member Posts: 53
    Hi Ira. I'm sorry to hear
    Hi Ira. I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. I live in Rockland County NY which is right next door to Bergen County, which is where I assume your Mom lives. Sloan is very well known as a top rated Cancer Center, and I've been there for second opinions. But I go to Hackensack University, which is becoming very well known in this area for it's Cancer Center as well. I just find it much easier to go there instead of into NYC to Sloan, especially since I really believe that most of these places are all on the same page as far as treatment. I haven't heard anything bad about Englewood Hospital...I'm sorry, that's probably not much help. Best of luck to both of you!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    JmG86 said:

Hi Ira. I'm sorry to hear
    Hi Ira. I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. I live in Rockland County NY which is right next door to Bergen County, which is where I assume your Mom lives. Sloan is very well known as a top rated Cancer Center, and I've been there for second opinions. But I go to Hackensack University, which is becoming very well known in this area for it's Cancer Center as well. I just find it much easier to go there instead of into NYC to Sloan, especially since I really believe that most of these places are all on the same page as far as treatment. I haven't heard anything bad about Englewood Hospital...I'm sorry, that's probably not much help. Best of luck to both of you!

Just want to say hi and to
    Just want to say hi and to wish you and your mother good luck. This is a great site for information and support.

HUGS
  • hopeful and optimistic
    Thanks for the information , and good wishes
    I will share the information with my Mother......I'm pretty sure that some years ago my mother had an angioplastic at Hackensack Hospital.........Hackensack in not far from where she lives........are you able to recommend a good surgeon(s) at that hospital.....thanks....Ira
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Your Mom.....
    Very sorry to hear of her diagnosis....Considering her age, If it were me, I would choose the best facility, CLOSEST to her home as this will involve many doctor appointments, etc. and probably would make it much easier on her not to have to travel any further than needed.....
    I wish you both the best!
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    If you want to see doctors
    If you want to see doctors profile in New Jersey here is the link:

http://12.150.185.184/dca/about.jsp

New York state has a simular site to check backgrounds. Just Google physician profiles and the state.
  • hopeful and optimistic
    Thanks for the good advice, and the web sites
    If my Mother decides to go to Sloan Kettering, say for a second opinion which doctor would be a good choice?

Also, with prostate cancer, there is a gleason grade that is given when one has a biopsy. It is generally a good idea to have a second opinion of the biopsy so one is not under or over treated....For breast cancer biopsies, is there a gleason score grade? Is it generally advised to get a second opinion of the biopsy?

Thanks

Ira
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member

Thanks for the good advice, and the web sites
    If my Mother decides to go to Sloan Kettering, say for a second opinion which doctor would be a good choice?

Also, with prostate cancer, there is a gleason grade that is given when one has a biopsy. It is generally a good idea to have a second opinion of the biopsy so one is not under or over treated....For breast cancer biopsies, is there a gleason score grade? Is it generally advised to get a second opinion of the biopsy?

Thanks

Ira

There is an Oncotype DX test
    Which may be similar to the concept of the gleason score, although I'm not familiar with what the gleason score grade is.

The Oncotype DX test will give a rating indicating the chances of recurrence. This is done generally once the tumor is removed (after lumpectomy or mastectomy) and usually only in cases where the lymph nodes test as clean. If the lymph nodes already show signs of cancer, then chemotherapy is recommended regardless, so I think they don't do the Oncotype. However, if the lymph nodes are clear, the Oncotype score can give the doctors more information about what benefits chemotheraphy might bring.

Second opinions are recommended in general prior to deciding on a final treatment plan, but not everyone does get them. I feel very confident in my doctors so far and am not planning to get a second opinion. I just had my lumpectomy this past Monday, and am waiting until after my surgical follow-up to meet with the Medical Oncologist who will do the Oncotype test for me (my lymph nodes were negative) and help me create a treatment plan.

Good luck!
  • hopeful and optimistic

There is an Oncotype DX test
    Which may be similar to the concept of the gleason score, although I'm not familiar with what the gleason score grade is.

The Oncotype DX test will give a rating indicating the chances of recurrence. This is done generally once the tumor is removed (after lumpectomy or mastectomy) and usually only in cases where the lymph nodes test as clean. If the lymph nodes already show signs of cancer, then chemotherapy is recommended regardless, so I think they don't do the Oncotype. However, if the lymph nodes are clear, the Oncotype score can give the doctors more information about what benefits chemotheraphy might bring.

Second opinions are recommended in general prior to deciding on a final treatment plan, but not everyone does get them. I feel very confident in my doctors so far and am not planning to get a second opinion. I just had my lumpectomy this past Monday, and am waiting until after my surgical follow-up to meet with the Medical Oncologist who will do the Oncotype test for me (my lymph nodes were negative) and help me create a treatment plan.

Good luck!

Cindy, thanks again
    I'm glad that your lymph nodes were negative, and my prayers are with you for good results from your oncotype test............Ira
  • hopeful and optimistic
    Update on my Mother's progress
    Today, my Mother and Brother met with the surgeon........he recommends doing a lumpectomy, then afterward estregen (sp) pills, no radiation or kemo. He want her to come to the hospital on Tuesday to take somes I think blood tests; additionally her cardiologist wants her to take a echo (I think sound) to make sure that she can undergo the outpatient procedure.

It just came to my mind, does she need to even have this procedure.........how fast would the cancer progress without the procedure; is there a way of knowing this?

Not being knowledgeable about brest cancer and treatment............is there something that we are missing....any suggestions

Thanks for your help

Ira
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    So sorry to hear. I don't
    So sorry to hear. I don't have any helpful suggestions, I just want to wish you and your mother the best. I hope treatments are easy on each of you. Best of luck to you both.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Welcome Ira
    Sorry to hear about your mother.
    Just wanted to say that sometimes you can find great doctors and nurses in smaller not so well known clinics as well.Yes,what a burden to have to find good doctors when you have been diagnosed-how some do it,I don't know.Fortunately for me,my new gynecologist at the time worked hand in hand with my surgeon and my oncologists so it was all set up for me-and they are all some of the best in their fields! I was so thankful...
    It must be hard for you to be so far away while she is going through this.