How do you get doctors to listen to you and give you an answer?

arbojenn
arbojenn Member Posts: 118
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a recurrent cancer and one of the tumors had wrapped around a nerve. I had my surgery over two months ago and still have bouts of stinging pain that I think is nerve damage. When I tell the doctors--I have a team--I am experiencing bouts of this, which can be severe, they shrug me off. I have yet to get an answer or guidance about what to do. I am hoping it is something radiation will put an end to, but if it doesn't, how do I get the doctors to listen to me and know how much this bothers me?

Comments

• tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    listening?
    I am very lucky that my cancer crew all listen to me ... and all treat me as though I was the only patient they had. I never feel guilty about going in with my lists of questions and I never feel rushed for time. However ... my internist is another story. I went to him about a month ago to ask him to change my antidepressants from zoloft and wellbutrin to effexor. I'd been reading posts warning anyone ready to go on tamoxifin that many of the antidepressants were NOT to be taken with tamoxifen. Well ... when I asked the internists to change my prescription he asked why and I told him. He asked where I'd heard such a thing and I told him it was from a very knowledgeable web discussion group and he told me not "to believe everything I read on the web" and treated me like a total idiot. He told to let him know when I'd read about it in a MEDICAL JOURNAL etc. etc. I left in tears ... went home googled the topic and found a ton of stuff verifying the info we'd all been talking about on this discussion board. I was furious ... and am now trying to find a new internist. Someone with a bit more "bedside manner." It just didn't seem appropriate to look at a woman with breast cancer who is trying to do what is best for HER body and her situation ... and treat her like an idiot. Anyway ... I got the prescription ... and have been doing fine on effexor and tamoxifen.

Maybe you need to change doctors?

hugs.
    teena
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I'm afraid Teena is right.
    I'm afraid Teena is right. Some docs are just that way and nothing you do or say will change them. You may have to change docs. My surgeon was that way but I could get the info out of my onc so I didn't worry about it because the surgeon was good at what he did. He felt he shouldn't be questioned. In the end I decided to trust him and asked the onc questions. He was doing things right as far as I could see.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Marcia527 said:

I'm afraid Teena is right.
    I'm afraid Teena is right. Some docs are just that way and nothing you do or say will change them. You may have to change docs. My surgeon was that way but I could get the info out of my onc so I didn't worry about it because the surgeon was good at what he did. He felt he shouldn't be questioned. In the end I decided to trust him and asked the onc questions. He was doing things right as far as I could see.

Can you change your surgeon after the surgery?
    on the long term ladies I agree you need to think of changing a doctor. But now the problem is how to communicate and get attention and improve post-surgical care? Moreover, have been any damage done or it is typical to have pain. Definitely Second opinion always helps. For now, be more persistent, ask and complain, do not give up.
    Hugs