Anyone not get a port?

Options
2»

Comments

• cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Hi Chrispea.
    Of course the decision is yours to get, or not get, a port. I had them try twice to give me chemo, and on the second infusion, the vein burst and the chemo went under my skin. So, doc said port or picc or no more chemo. The chemo is poison, and if it gets into your tissue, it eats it away. I do not want to scare you, I know a lot of people had it put directly into veins with no problems, but if there are any issues with your veins, it might be something to consider.
    I ended up getting the picc because the port didn't work (go figure), another thing all the docs shook their heads about and say "never happened before". I have both posted on my expressions page if you are curious, if I had to choose between the two, it would always be the port, one small incision, and nothing in the way of your daily life
    Good luck in your treatments!
    Cat
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    No port here...
    No port for me. I had my veins assessed prior to commencing treatments and had great veins in both arms/hands, so that helped me to make up my mind. I'd had a port some years prior to bc, for lyme disease treatment, and had problems with it. I didn't want to seriously consider getting another one, if not absolutely necessary. Nurses never had any problem getting the IV in on the first try, so no issues by not having a port. My larger vein in my right arm is somewhat hardened now, but not an issue, as I have other veins in that arm which are still quite serviceable. As others have suggested, you can always begin with no port and then get one later if it becomes necessary. Keep us posted...

Love, light & laughter,
    Ink