My appointment with my radiation oncologist today -- insulin may be the answer

mimivac
mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My meeting with my doctor today went pretty well. She does want me to get a sonogram along with my annual mammogram in November becase my breasts felt like "a bag of marbles" -- so she isn't confident that a physical exam and mammogram alone will be enough. This scares me a bit, but she says it's normal to have dense breasts at my age.

Anyway, we talked about the recommendation of a low fat diet for estrogen negatives. She subscribes to a theory I've seen elsewhere. The reason that a low fat diet may reduce recurrence rates in estrogen negative women is that it doesn't trigger a strong insulin spike. Like lots of simple carbohydrates, fat can also cause chronic insulin highs, which could trigger breast cancer. This is further reason to also limit simple carbs and sugar from your diet for those of us who are ER negative. Darn! I guess those trips to the office candy jar are going to have to stop. I'm going to redouble my efforts to eat healthy, low fat, low simple carb foods.

Mimi

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Does that mean we who aren't
    Does that mean we who aren't estrogen negative can have your fat and sugar? :D
  • mimivac
    Marcia527 said:

Does that mean we who aren't
    Does that mean we who aren't estrogen negative can have your fat and sugar? :D

Ha Ha
    Well maybe not ALL my fat and sugar.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Sugar!
    Glad to hear your results Mimi. Yes, young women do have denser breasts, so, having a mammo and a sonogram is recommended usually for younger woman for a few years at least. We will all be here for you!

Kristin ♥
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Mimi,
    I am ER positive,but have dense breasts as well.And I'm 47 so I guess it doesn't just happen to "youngins".Both times I have gone in for mammos after being dxed,they have had to get extra xrays because my breasts are so dense.
  • mimivac

Mimi,
    I am ER positive,but have dense breasts as well.And I'm 47 so I guess it doesn't just happen to "youngins".Both times I have gone in for mammos after being dxed,they have had to get extra xrays because my breasts are so dense.

Patty,
    Thanks for relating your experience. My mother also has very dense breasts, so I know it is not only the under-40 set who experience this. You made me feel better about her recommendation for a sonogram. I was feeling some scanxiety there for a bit.

Mimi
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    mimivac said:

Patty,
    Thanks for relating your experience. My mother also has very dense breasts, so I know it is not only the under-40 set who experience this. You made me feel better about her recommendation for a sonogram. I was feeling some scanxiety there for a bit.

Mimi

Glad that
    I was able to calm some of your scanxiety,Mimi !
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member

Glad that
    I was able to calm some of your scanxiety,Mimi !

Hey Mimi
    I have dense breasts too and my oncologist is having me get not only mammograms, but, ultrasounds also. I think I am to get the mammos every 6 months and the ultrasounds once a year. Hope this calms your nerves!

♥ Noel
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Noel said:

Hey Mimi
    I have dense breasts too and my oncologist is having me get not only mammograms, but, ultrasounds also. I think I am to get the mammos every 6 months and the ultrasounds once a year. Hope this calms your nerves!

♥ Noel

Mimi, so glad to hear that
    Mimi, so glad to hear that your visit with the onc went well, and that they are going to look extra close because of density. Sorry to hear that the trips to the candy jar are going to have to stop (or at least limit), but that is a small price to pay for health. Let us know how the further tests go in November. Hugs your way.

Judy
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Mimi, so glad to hear that
    Mimi, so glad to hear that your visit with the onc went well, and that they are going to look extra close because of density. Sorry to hear that the trips to the candy jar are going to have to stop (or at least limit), but that is a small price to pay for health. Let us know how the further tests go in November. Hugs your way.

Judy

Hi. My oncologist is going
    Hi. My oncologist is going to order a mammogram and an ultrasound for me. He also mentioned that I would be having blood tests.

Hope all of your tests are good Mimi.
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Thanks, Mimi
    I'm glad your meeting with your onc. went well. I think it's great that she is so proactive, in this case wanting the ultrasound as well as a mammo and exam. Another test is another opportunity to be scared, but it's also another opportunity to emphasize NED is with you. Let us know when you have the exam; for sure we will all be sending you very positive thoughts.

Thanks for sharing the info about diet and insulin spikes. I'm aggrieved since all my favorite things are carbs! But, I am joining you in redoubling my efforts to stay away from pasta and Panera bagels,.....
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Have they checked your thyroid?
    Hi Mimi,

I read a very interesting book on iodine and breast tissue. There are some clinical results which show benefits of iodine and dense breasts.

Roseann
  • mimivac
    roseann4 said:

Have they checked your thyroid?
    Hi Mimi,

I read a very interesting book on iodine and breast tissue. There are some clinical results which show benefits of iodine and dense breasts.

Roseann

thyroid
    Roseann,

Yes, I've been meaning to have this done. I know that sometimes chemo damages your thyroid and sometimes mine seems enlarged. Thanks for the reminder.