I shaved my head...

pitt
pitt Member Posts: 387
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well, I had to do it. My hair started coming out when I ran my hands through it. I had a facial scheduled today at my breast cancer center anyway, so they went ahead and shaved me. Then they used a lovely shampoo with a mild anesthetic in it because my scalp has been very tender. It works great! I bought some special lotion for my face and am now wearing my pretty pink scarf. I tried to wear my wig but it is a flippin 100F and humid as hell. I made it in my car for one whole mile before pulling over and taking the wig off.

My friend who has organized the "dinner train" for me was the winner of my betting pool! She won $200 so that was fun for me to think about. I, on the other hand, needed something...so I bought a bag of Doritos and a Dr. Pepper. Hey - I'm a product of the 70s. No judging! I thoroughly enjoyed my snack and feel comfortable, so the day goes on.

I have cancer; it doesn't have me!
Pitt

Comments

  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
    shaving your head.
    Good for you.you go girl.I am a week past shaving mine.And life does go on.I am glad i am passed it.And you will be two.It is very impowering to shave it.The shedding is like a night mare.And our hair will grow back.Take Care.No more bad hair days for awhile.ha.
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    CONGRATULATIONS!
    To you for your bravery girl!!!!! It was so hard to let the hair go. Where are you that its 100 degrees and humid? I want to be there. Right now here in Central Maryland its 44 degrees and a cold windy rain (Nor'easter). I hated my wigs from the start. I loved to play with them and style them (frustrated beautician???) but when I had to wear it all day long at work and then in the heat of the summer, I just absolutely hated it. As soon as I started to grow my hair back the wigs went into storage. I looked terrible in scarves, so I found turbans to wear. They looked better on me, and I got the "halo" of hair from the ACS catalog. Looked like bangs sticking out. Now my hair is a little bit longer than Jamie Lee Curtis' hair in the Activia ads. And just as gray (but not for long.....)

    Enjoy your Dorito's and Dr. Pepper. I'm a child of the 50's and 60's, so give me my Frito's and Pepsi!!!

    Hugs - Pat
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    ppurdin said:

    shaving your head.
    Good for you.you go girl.I am a week past shaving mine.And life does go on.I am glad i am passed it.And you will be two.It is very impowering to shave it.The shedding is like a night mare.And our hair will grow back.Take Care.No more bad hair days for awhile.ha.

    And no shaving!!! Gotta
    And no shaving!!! Gotta LOVE that!!!
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    Doritos and a Dr. Pepper!!!
    now that's my kind of gal! What a terrific way to celebrate - esp. since I'm not to have any alcoholic stuff while I'm on tamoxifen (how will I last 5 years???!) The hair thing is kind of a weird thing. At first I thought it wouldn't bother me, then it did and didn't and then did again. Since I work I guess I just hate having to wear the wig all day - they can get hot and itchy! My son wanted to shave my head - his way of "taking care" of me I think. At first I thought, no way, I can't have my 29 year old son doing that, but it turned out OK and it made him feel good to be a part of that.
    Anyway, I'm now growing peach fuzz and it's coming in salt & pepper (I'm 55) - more salt than pepper it looks like but maybe that's just the fuzz.
    It's all good and you are so right - We have cancer but it doesn't have us!!!!!!
    ...have fun with the wigs and scarves
    much love,
    Jenny
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Sounds like you are being spoiled
    A facial at the breast cancer center. I never heard of that. LOL They sure didn't do that at my center. Well its been over 5 yrs I guess things do change. And the dinner train, missie you are spoiled! Enjoy because you deserve it all. I shaved my head to when my hair started falling out. Its the best thing to do because you feel that you have some controll over what is happening to you. If that makes sence.

    Wishing you the best throughout your treatment. It's a rough road to travel. Just be sure to keep your eye on the light at the end.

    Hugs
    Jadie<3
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Hurray
    You did it! I'll be following soon. It must happen suddenly, because theres no sign of it starting yet. Glad you took it well.
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    laurissa said:

    Hurray
    You did it! I'll be following soon. It must happen suddenly, because theres no sign of it starting yet. Glad you took it well.

    It did happen suddenly. I
    It did happen suddenly. I went to bed on Tuesday night thinking my vitamin D levels have always been so high, perhaps I won't lose my hair. Wednesday morning, it started falling out in my hands. This morning there was enough in my hands for me to say, "Yuck! Time to go!" I didn't want it to fall into my food. (I even wore my cap to bed last night because I didn't want it on my pillow.) I'm a little OCD I think. Anyway, There is only a little fuzz on top but I'm sure it won't last long. Good luck and hang in there! Pitt
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I bought a wig but never
    I bought a wig but never wore it. It comforted me to think I had it if I needed it. Never did. I was happy with hats and caps. Now you just don't have to worry about the hair issue. I kind of enjoyed not having hair to mess with. Of course I was glad when it grew back after treatment also. I like Dr. Pepper too and Doritos.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Good girl,Pitt!
    Good attitude!You go,girl!
    Hey,how come my cancer clinic didn't give facials?!!
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233

    Good girl,Pitt!
    Good attitude!You go,girl!
    Hey,how come my cancer clinic didn't give facials?!!

    Pic
    Hey, when do we get to see you bald and beautiful? U gonna post a pic? Im proud of ya girl...I know its hard but you will get used to it.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Sam726 said:

    Pic
    Hey, when do we get to see you bald and beautiful? U gonna post a pic? Im proud of ya girl...I know its hard but you will get used to it.

    WTG Liz! I bet you are
    WTG Liz! I bet you are still as beautiful as ever! And, facials? wow Nice clinic!

    HUGS
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188

    Good girl,Pitt!
    Good attitude!You go,girl!
    Hey,how come my cancer clinic didn't give facials?!!

    Way to go Pitt!!
    I'm a tad jealous too for not getting a facial at my cancer center! Did I say "tad"? Oh, I'm sorry, I meant I am totally bumming I didn't get one!! LOL....glad you got to enjoy something nice. Pammy
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

    Good girl,Pitt!
    Good attitude!You go,girl!
    Hey,how come my cancer clinic didn't give facials?!!

    Facials?
    I, too, have to selfishly admit....all I could fixate on in your post was the line "I had a facial scheduled at my breast cancer center." Geez, I'm so jealous....

    It was 95 here in the San Fernando Valley today....I can't even imagine wearing a wig. I know that you look just as beautiful, Liz, without hair as you did with that sexy short 'do, so come on, girl -- be out and proud!

    (and think of how much more aerodynamic you'll be in your swim class! :-)

    Traci
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    TraciInLA said:

    Facials?
    I, too, have to selfishly admit....all I could fixate on in your post was the line "I had a facial scheduled at my breast cancer center." Geez, I'm so jealous....

    It was 95 here in the San Fernando Valley today....I can't even imagine wearing a wig. I know that you look just as beautiful, Liz, without hair as you did with that sexy short 'do, so come on, girl -- be out and proud!

    (and think of how much more aerodynamic you'll be in your swim class! :-)

    Traci

    Bald as a new born babe!
    If you guys are fixating on the facials, then you really don't want to hear about the special manicures/pedicures, acupuncture, and free massages. Sorry, but it's been hot as hell down here and I have to take whatever glee I can get. Plus, my face was burning from my regular skin lotions so I am thrilled to have a new lotion that makes my face feel good. Oh, they gave me shampoo with a mild anesthetic in it so my head would not hurt so much as the hair fell out. It's all helping, I must say.

    This morning the rest of my hair fell out. I'm now as bald as a new born babe...everywhere! I posted a picture with my lovely scarf. We are getting a cold snap tonight so maybe I can wear the wig tomorrow...we shall see. As I left the breast cancer center on Thursday, it was 100F. I made it one mile down the road before I had to pull over and yank the wig off!!! Too hot = too itchy!!!

    I'm okay with the bald look...it just grossed me out watching my hair run down the drain. That was disgusting.

    I do plan on going back to the pool on Monday. I need to work out. I leave everything in the pool and am "high" the rest of the day.

    Now, as for anyone thinking I have it too good...Let me point out that TraiInLA has the legal right to consume medicinal marijuana...I do not. And as far as I'm concerned, she has the trump card on what's not fair in the cancer treatment business!!! I will be forever fixated on that!

    Have a great weekend...especially all you California girls.

    Jealous in Florida,
    Pitt
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    pitt said:

    Bald as a new born babe!
    If you guys are fixating on the facials, then you really don't want to hear about the special manicures/pedicures, acupuncture, and free massages. Sorry, but it's been hot as hell down here and I have to take whatever glee I can get. Plus, my face was burning from my regular skin lotions so I am thrilled to have a new lotion that makes my face feel good. Oh, they gave me shampoo with a mild anesthetic in it so my head would not hurt so much as the hair fell out. It's all helping, I must say.

    This morning the rest of my hair fell out. I'm now as bald as a new born babe...everywhere! I posted a picture with my lovely scarf. We are getting a cold snap tonight so maybe I can wear the wig tomorrow...we shall see. As I left the breast cancer center on Thursday, it was 100F. I made it one mile down the road before I had to pull over and yank the wig off!!! Too hot = too itchy!!!

    I'm okay with the bald look...it just grossed me out watching my hair run down the drain. That was disgusting.

    I do plan on going back to the pool on Monday. I need to work out. I leave everything in the pool and am "high" the rest of the day.

    Now, as for anyone thinking I have it too good...Let me point out that TraiInLA has the legal right to consume medicinal marijuana...I do not. And as far as I'm concerned, she has the trump card on what's not fair in the cancer treatment business!!! I will be forever fixated on that!

    Have a great weekend...especially all you California girls.

    Jealous in Florida,
    Pitt

    Liz, I saw your picture and
    Liz, I saw your picture and you look GREAT! Thanks for posting it. I know that was very hard to lose your hair. Have a great weekend!

    Sue :)