Hello everyone, new member here 38 years old.

Options
2»

Comments

• Sonia32
    Sonia32 Member Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Welcome Martn
    You have already had wise words from some of our members so I will leave it there. I just hope you will stick around and keep asking any questions that you may have. There will always be some one amongst our wonderful family to answer and help.
    Hugs
    Sonia
  • johnsfo
    johnsfo Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Sonia32 said:

Welcome Martn
    You have already had wise words from some of our members so I will leave it there. I just hope you will stick around and keep asking any questions that you may have. There will always be some one amongst our wonderful family to answer and help.
    Hugs
    Sonia

Welcome
    Welcome, Martin. So many people have already offered good suggestions, I just want to add that your initial pain and diagnosis are similar to mine, although I do not have a family history of cancer. Like you, I had sudden and intense abdominal pains that sent me to the doctor, and intestinal bleeding a week later that sent me to the ER and led to the diagnosis of stage 3 colon cancer in Oct. 2007. Since then I have learned how varied and complex colon cancer is and how highly specialized the docs are who treat it. So I too hope you consult with colon cancer experts before your surgery.

I wish you all the best and hope you keep on posting here!

John
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options

Maybe lunch sometime
    I see you're in El Cajon. I'm in Murrieta and my doc and chemo is in Escondido. Maybe we could do lunch or something after your surgery? Kind of nice to have somebody near me.

Brooks

another neighbor!
    Hi Brooks,

I live in Fallbrook- pretty close to Murrieta! I'm in Escondido all the time (my son goes to Escondido Charter High School & my husband works in Escondido), but I have my chemo in Vista.
    Do you by chance go to Pacific Oncology in Escondido? I used to go to their Vista office, but now I go to San Diego Cancer Center in their Vista location.

It'd be fun, when we can all arrange it, to have all the San Diego and south Riverside county people get together at some agreed upon restaurant or something like that.

Take care,
    Lisa
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    mzaenger said:

Thanks everyone
    Lisa, I live in El Cajon Ca.

Thanks everyone I have a call in for a second opinion, however a close personal friend of the family who was my family Dr since I was a kid agrees with the surgeons opinion, he also treated one of my Grandfathers.
    The surgeon is only guessing that I am a stage 2 currently I have not had any testing done yet besides the colonoscopy/biopsy.

Martin- UCSD
    Hi,

Nice to know we're practically neighbors! There are a couple of others on this board who also live in San Diego county (Serrana and Krista)- maybe even others, but those are the two I know of who are also nearby.

I would still urge you to call UCSD (Moores Cancer Center)- I just remembered that the surgeon I recommended (Dr.Ramamoorthy) is out on maternity leave until Dec.- bummer. She's good & I know they have someone else there now, but don't know anything about him/her. I do know, however, that anyone at Moores/UCSD would specialize in colorectal surgery and that they would definitely have more experience in this type of surgery than any general surgeon would. They can often do a laparoscopic colon resection there, using the Da Vinci robot method. Highly advanced and more precise than human hands, they say. Just a thought. Scripps may also do something similar- worth looking into.
    **I would ask for a CT and/or a PET/Ct scan asap- before surgery, as well. This normally should be done routinely and definitely should be done before your surgery. Not to scare you, but I was originally diagnosed as a stage II, then it was found on the CT a few days later that I was actually a stage IV. I'm sure you won't be, but it's really best to know for sure ahead of the surgery. That way, the whole picture is known. They won't be able to test your lymph nodes until the surgery, though. Actually, Dr. Savides at UCSD (La Jolla location- & he's wonderful) did a colonoscopy with ultrasound on me after the original "regular" colonoscopy was done on me. No fun to have it done a 2nd time so soon, but that was how they knew mine had gone through the bowel wall- they would have only been able to see the inside of my colon and rectum if I hadn't gone in for that 2nd one with Dr. Savides. Not all colonoscopies are the same. I had my original one done up in Oceanside at Tri City & that's the Dr. who sent me down to have another one at UCSD.

Here's to looking at the best scenario possible for you & I'm praying for you too-

Keep strong-
    Lisa