Options
2»

Comments

• nervous T
    nervous T Member Posts: 2
    Options
    jk1952 said:

I had immediate

I had immediate reconstruction using the DIEP procedure (tummy tuck and tissue is disconnected from blood supply and tissue is moved and blood supply reconnected). Unlike the TRAM flap where the tissue is tunneled up to the breast area. I would recommend the DIEP if you have a plastic surgeon who is experienced with it (only about 150 are expereiced in the US). I am very happy (six months post-surgery), and I haven't had any of the problems that some of the women have experienced who had the TRAM flap.

It's a relatively long recovery period, but I have my own tissue and right after surgery I had breasts that have not had any additional procedures since. I do have to have one reduced to match the other one, but that's a minor 'tune-up'. There are lots of us who have had both surgeries, and there are quite a few prior posts about their thoughts.

Joyce

? reconstruction...
    Hi Joyce...I'm contemplating the DIEP, I have waited 5 yrs to be ready. Any tips?
  • nervous T
    nervous T Member Posts: 2
    Options
    ritazimm said:

I too had the DIEP Flap surgery. Mine was on August 25, 2009. I will be returning to work on Monday for the first time since surgery. My surgery went very well and was a LOT less painful than I would have expected!!! I could have returned to work quite some time ago except for the fact that due to my anemia, I have been fighting off viruses for the past few weeks. I love the tummy tuck even though I have yet to see the final result since there is still a little swelling to go down.

It is a big decision to make as to if, when and what surgery is right for you but I would encourage you to do the research on the internet and see a plastic surgeon to discuss your options. Even if you see hin/her you do not have to take action right away (and they may recommend that you wait for a while) but at least you will have the information to make an informed decision.

God bless,
    Rita

Hi and thanks...
    Hi Rita
    I wanted to wish you well in your return to work...I hope you are looking forward to it.
    I am planning DIEP soon and found you very encouraging..Thank You...
    My big decision took me 5yrs to make. I guess I became a little Dr./Hosp. shy.
    I to just discovered this sight and postings. Oh how helpful a tool..
    We have great husbands in comon. What blessings they truly are.

Thank you for sharing. I hope to visit with you more, and to read more about your journey.
    I also hope to get my info. added soon.

wish me luck and prayers are ALWAYS good!
    A sister of circomstance. Toni