had lumpetomy 2 wks ago, now need mastectomy

Options
helen e
helen e Member Posts: 223
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I received a phone call from the rads. he said that he met with the onco., and surgeon to go over my pathology report and found that the type of cancer I had has a 30-40% chance of recurrence even with radiation. Now they want to do a mastectomy. How did they not know that when I met with the surgeon on Friday? The surgeon did say that they may want to go in and take out a little more tissue because they fund a few more spots in the duct but got it all. How did we go from a "little more tissue" to a mastectomy? What changed in the pathology report that wasn't there after the surgery? I guess I'm just a little freaked out. I was told that everything looked great, my hormones are estrogen positive and my her2nu is negative. The tumor was only stage 1. All I had left to do was chemo and radiation then take the pill for 5 years and I had a 3-4% chance of recurrence. How did it go from 3-4% chance to 30-40%? Guess I have to wait to talk with the surgeon again. Sigh!

Comments

• dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    Hey Helen
    The same thing happened to me. I had a lumpectomy, but during the surgery, the Doc. discovered that the cancer cells had spread a little into surrounding tissue. Since I didn't have clean margins, I had to go back in for a mastectomy.I also had a positive in the sentinel node, but it was the only one. Were your lymph nodes clean? I'm ER positive too, just finihed chemo and have started radiation. Just remember that it is all doable...
    and you want to do anything that helps guarentee that it doesn't come back. Good luck
    Dee
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    It is hard to tell. I know
    It is hard to tell. I know my sentinal node was clear. My tumor was 1.1 cm It was IDC. Only thing i can think of was something they found in the sentinal node when they sliced it up more like a loaf of bread. He said it would take about a week for it to be analyzed more,initially, it was clear, that's why he didn't take anymore nodes. My oncology surgeon told me of that possibility, that they might find more information when it was analyzed further. I am praying for you. this dang cancer sucks.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    dyaneb123 said:

Hey Helen
    The same thing happened to me. I had a lumpectomy, but during the surgery, the Doc. discovered that the cancer cells had spread a little into surrounding tissue. Since I didn't have clean margins, I had to go back in for a mastectomy.I also had a positive in the sentinel node, but it was the only one. Were your lymph nodes clean? I'm ER positive too, just finihed chemo and have started radiation. Just remember that it is all doable...
    and you want to do anything that helps guarentee that it doesn't come back. Good luck
    Dee

Helen it did happen to me too
    Helen,
    I am sorry. Unfortunately, similar situation did happen to me. From Stage I (Mammogram and ultrasound)
    to Stage II after lumpectomy and finally to Radical Modified Mastectomy Stage IIIC. I have no regrets that I decided to go ahead with mastectomy, even at that time I had an option to save breast.

If you are sure about your diagnosis, you need a second opinion.
    Remember you need to move fast and be very decisive.
    Good luck
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    lanie940 said:

It is hard to tell. I know
    It is hard to tell. I know my sentinal node was clear. My tumor was 1.1 cm It was IDC. Only thing i can think of was something they found in the sentinal node when they sliced it up more like a loaf of bread. He said it would take about a week for it to be analyzed more,initially, it was clear, that's why he didn't take anymore nodes. My oncology surgeon told me of that possibility, that they might find more information when it was analyzed further. I am praying for you. this dang cancer sucks.

I am so sorry Helen. This
    I am so sorry Helen. This does sound confusing. Were your nodes clean? I know sometimes if they can't get a clean margin, they suggest a mastectomy because they will take so much of your breast with a lumpectomy, that there won't be much left. And, with a mastectomy, you can have reconstruction then. Praying for you!

♥ Noel
  • helen e
    helen e Member Posts: 223
    Options
    Noel said:

I am so sorry Helen. This
    I am so sorry Helen. This does sound confusing. Were your nodes clean? I know sometimes if they can't get a clean margin, they suggest a mastectomy because they will take so much of your breast with a lumpectomy, that there won't be much left. And, with a mastectomy, you can have reconstruction then. Praying for you!

♥ Noel

My nodes were clean and
    My nodes were clean and small. I just found out that they are doing this as a preventative measure. There is a 30-40% chance it will return. Apparently the invasive ductal carcinoma I have is very aggressive. The cellular change between the mammo and biopsy (only 2 days) was significant and the mammos I've had for 9 years aren't impressive. Thank you for the prayers I really appreiate it.

Helen
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    helen e said:

My nodes were clean and
    My nodes were clean and small. I just found out that they are doing this as a preventative measure. There is a 30-40% chance it will return. Apparently the invasive ductal carcinoma I have is very aggressive. The cellular change between the mammo and biopsy (only 2 days) was significant and the mammos I've had for 9 years aren't impressive. Thank you for the prayers I really appreiate it.

Helen

Hey Helen. I have read your
    Hey Helen. I have read your posts and this is confusing. As far as I know, the recurrence and survival rate is the same with a lumpectomy followed by rads, as with a mastectomy. And, you said you were stage 1? You must be stage 3, which is aggresive cancer? So, I assume they are recommending chemo too? Be sure and have them explain your path report to you and get a copy of it for your records. When do you meet again with your doctors? I am so sorry and will pray for you.

Sue :)
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    helen e said:

My nodes were clean and

Helen

Sending you lots of prayers
    Sending you lots of prayers Helen!
  • scared1
    scared1 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    dyaneb123 said:

Hey Helen
    Dee

mastectomy
    My diagnosis sounds alot like yours. Did you have a bi lateral mastectomy? I am 62 and the doctor says chances are low that it would occur in other but I need to decide what I feel is right for me. Problem is I am so confused I don't know what that is.

Thanks for your help.

Anita
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    DebbyM said:

Sending you lots of prayers
    Sending you lots of prayers Helen!

Have then expalin to you
    Have then expalin to you again as once the breast is removed it is not coming back, also you can get a second opinion as well. i do that with any qualms