How soon after Chemo?

Cat64
Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My first question is: When does the dry mouth stop?
When do we get our taste buds back or is that also a part of the drymouth?
When does the stomach cramping go away?
It's been 8 days now since my first Chemo & I'm hoping for some relief soon!
Thanks for your help!
Hugz,
Cathy

Comments

• lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Cathy
    I just finished with my chemo treatments last week. I developed mouth sores with each one and it seemed like when it started to clear up it was time for another treatment, so that problem with the mouth and taste buds was ongoing for me. It seemed like i would have a couple of good days and then bad again with all other side effects like being tired especially. How often are they doing your treatments? Mine were every three weeks and although i finished last week, i still have the sore mouth and blisters in my mouth. They did call in a mouth swish for me that numbs it for a few, but that doesnt help when it comes to trying to eat or drink. Keep up on the water. I have had a horrible problem with constipation and still do. Ive done metamusil, docolax and a laxative and still am having issues. My onc told me to do an enema, which i havent and think im going to try the laxative out again instead. Take care and good luck.

laura
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Hey Cathy
    I finished about 2

Hey Cathy
    I finished about 2 weeks ago and I've got my taste back. Things are starting to taste normal now. Now I'm watching my head looking for growth.....so far, no luck there....
  • Cat64
    dyaneb123 said:

Hey Cathy
    I finished about 2

Hey Cathy
    I finished about 2 weeks ago and I've got my taste back. Things are starting to taste normal now. Now I'm watching my head looking for growth.....so far, no luck there....

I am
    only doing two treatments so far 3 weeks apart. So are you saying this will continue until I am completely done with Chemo?! I was hopeful that I would have some sort of relief at least before the next one. Congratulations to the both of you on finishing your Chemo! Hope you see new sprouts soon!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Cat64 said:

I am
    only doing two treatments so far 3 weeks apart. So are you saying this will continue until I am completely done with Chemo?! I was hopeful that I would have some sort of relief at least before the next one. Congratulations to the both of you on finishing your Chemo! Hope you see new sprouts soon!
    Hugz,
    Cathy

Hi Cathy
    I hate to tell you this. I am 16 months out of chemo and I am only just starting to get my taste buds in order. Last week I had my first coffee in 2 years. I am now starting to taste and appreciate food once again (I used to LOVE my food).. I may not be normal (Yeah, like I ever was! LOL) But I still have that horrible taste and my tongue is brown/Black/White/Blue every morning. I hope you have it easier than me, most people did. Hugs Hun Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    Cat64 said:

I am
    Hugz,
    Cathy

Hey
    Hey girl...u drinkin enough water? Taking stool softeners? The cramping might be that you are constipated? I havent had any problems with taste buds so I cant say anything about that one and no mouth sores this time. Had 1 with first round. Have you begun losing your hair yet?
    Sam
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Are you rinsing with baking
    Are you rinsing with baking soda and water, if not try that. My taste buds are still a bit off and i have been out of chemo for a year! Hard to cook dinner. Well, the stomach cramping may be do to constipation, try stool softeners and a laxative. My oncologist had me take double the dose, and that really helped. But, check with your doctor before you do that. Also, you can try prunes and prune juice, beans, anything high in fiber
  • Cat64
    tasha_111 said:

Hi Cathy
    I hate to tell you this. I am 16 months out of chemo and I am only just starting to get my taste buds in order. Last week I had my first coffee in 2 years. I am now starting to taste and appreciate food once again (I used to LOVE my food).. I may not be normal (Yeah, like I ever was! LOL) But I still have that horrible taste and my tongue is brown/Black/White/Blue every morning. I hope you have it easier than me, most people did. Hugs Hun Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tasha
    Thank you for being honest! I too in such a short time am learning to appreciate food in a whole new way! If I see one more darn food commercial I think I may go over the edge! I'm starving! I'm eating things I normally wouldn't eat in hopes that I may taste SOMETHING!
    Is there such a thing as "normal"?
    Why is your tongue all those colors?! Mine is just white.
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • Cat64
    Sam726 said:

Hey
    Hey girl...u drinkin enough water? Taking stool softeners? The cramping might be that you are constipated? I havent had any problems with taste buds so I cant say anything about that one and no mouth sores this time. Had 1 with first round. Have you begun losing your hair yet?
    Sam

Sam
    I've been wondering about you...I'm waiting to hear what you decided to do.(?)
    Probably not enough water. Can you go from diarrhea to constipation right after just like that? Hate to be graphic but geez! I'm over this. It's finally lightening up today. Not so much cramping. As for hair, just my nose hair of all things! My eyes have been itchy so I believe they will be next. Can you get mouth sores on the outside of your mouth?
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • Cat64
    meena1 said:

Are you rinsing with baking
    Are you rinsing with baking soda and water, if not try that. My taste buds are still a bit off and i have been out of chemo for a year! Hard to cook dinner. Well, the stomach cramping may be do to constipation, try stool softeners and a laxative. My oncologist had me take double the dose, and that really helped. But, check with your doctor before you do that. Also, you can try prunes and prune juice, beans, anything high in fiber

Meena
    No, I have been using baking soda toothpaste but that has been burning lately. A year?! Oh My! I'm going to see a nutritionist tomorrow & I'm hoping she can give me some good ideas on what to eat also. I will try some of your recommendations though!
    Thanks for your help!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Cat64 said:

Meena
    No, I have been using baking soda toothpaste but that has been burning lately. A year?! Oh My! I'm going to see a nutritionist tomorrow & I'm hoping she can give me some good ideas on what to eat also. I will try some of your recommendations though!
    Thanks for your help!
    Hugz,
    Cathy

Avoid anything with alcohol,
    Avoid anything with alcohol, including mouthwash. You can use just baking soda to brush your teeth also, if the toothpaste burns, do not use it. Hope it works!
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Cat64 said:

I am
    Hugz,
    Cathy

cathy
    in my case the only ongoing issue was with my mouth. I had good and bad days in between and felt good again before i had to get another treatment. My last treatment was last week and my mouth is killing me right now, hopefully in the next week or so it will clear. Oh, the bowell thing has been a constant thing too, but getting better now. Take care
    laura
  • Cat64
    meena1 said:

Avoid anything with alcohol,
    Avoid anything with alcohol, including mouthwash. You can use just baking soda to brush your teeth also, if the toothpaste burns, do not use it. Hope it works!

Thanks Meena
    I have Biotene mouthwash & looked at the toothpaste label too. Neither said there was alcohol in them but alot of ingredients that one probably couldn't understand unless they were a scientist! Why can't they just tell you what's REALLY in there?!
    Cathy
  • Cat64
    lolad said:

cathy
    in my case the only ongoing issue was with my mouth. I had good and bad days in between and felt good again before i had to get another treatment. My last treatment was last week and my mouth is killing me right now, hopefully in the next week or so it will clear. Oh, the bowell thing has been a constant thing too, but getting better now. Take care
    laura

Thanks Laura
    That's a little more encouraging! I kinda figured if I did feel better it would most likely be right before my next treatment! At least I know what to look forward to on the 2nd time around and can be more prepared.
    Cathy
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Cat64 said:

Thanks Meena
    I have Biotene mouthwash & looked at the toothpaste label too. Neither said there was alcohol in them but alot of ingredients that one probably couldn't understand unless they were a scientist! Why can't they just tell you what's REALLY in there?!
    Cathy

I didn't have chemo, but, I
    I didn't have chemo, but, I wanted to wish you good luck Cathy. It looks like you have a lot of help from the replys.

Debby
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Hi Cathy -
    It took me about a month to start tasting things again. I never got the dry mouth, or the sores, but food tasted like wet cardboard for months and months. I dreaded eating anything I had to chew - if I could get it past my tongue and teeth, I could tolerate it - go broth!!! Looks like everyone's is a little different. Lucky for me, I had no problems with constipation like a friend of mine did. It got a little bumpy there for a while, but cleared up. I was petrified it would happen, but it didn't. I finished chemo in March, and had 36 radiation treatments, and there IS light at the end of the tunnel. Good Luck to you and you will be in my heart and prayers.
    Hugs - Pat
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    Cat64 said:

Thanks Meena
    Cathy

Magic Mouthwash
    Cat, Ask your oncologist about "Magic Mouthwash." It is a prescription and works wonders on my mouth sores. My onc also told me to drink 1 gallon of water per day. That has helped me with the stomach issues. Also, I was a mess from days 3-5, up/down 6-9. By day 10 I felt like a human again. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Stay up with your nausea pills. For some reason that also helped with the bowels. Rock on, Pitt
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    dyaneb123 said:

Hey Cathy
    I finished about 2

Hey Cathy

Congrats Laura and Dyaneb
    Congrats Laura and Dyaneb for finishing chemo! That is great!