Possible progress against triple negative breast cancer brain metastases

mimivac
mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
According to research reported in "Clinical Cancer Research" the drug Vorinostat prevented the formation of brain metastases of triple negative breast cancer in mice by 62 percent. The drug crosses the blood-brain barrier, which in the past has rendered brain cancer largely untreatable. According to the study’s researchers, from the Center for Cancer Research at the National Cancer Institute, Vorinostat works on both strands of the cancer DNA, slowing the rate of tumor growth. They suggest that it might be an effective cancer fighter in combination with other drugs or radiation.

Source: Palmieri D, Lockman PR, et al. Vorinostat Inhibits Brain Metastatic Colonization in a Model of Triple-Negative Breast Cancer and Induces DNA Double-Strand Breaks. Clin Cancer Res. Sept. 29, 2009. Vol.15, No. 19.

More good news, hopefully! I will ask my oncology radiologist about this on Thursday.

Mimi

Comments

• rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Mimi
    It seems there is more good news everyday! could we be getting closer to the cure? I pray.
    hugs, jackie
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Very Interesting and Hopeful!
    Thanks, Mimi. I would love to hear any helpful insights or suggestions your oncologist gives you. By the way, at the vet the other day I met a woman who had TNBC, and, like me, had numerous lymph node involvement and a mastectomy. She was diagnosed in 2004. 5 years out--and no recurrence.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Moopy23 said:

Very Interesting and Hopeful!
    Thanks, Mimi. I would love to hear any helpful insights or suggestions your oncologist gives you. By the way, at the vet the other day I met a woman who had TNBC, and, like me, had numerous lymph node involvement and a mastectomy. She was diagnosed in 2004. 5 years out--and no recurrence.

I love those survivor stories
    Thanks Moopy. Those always make me feel good. You know last night I had a dream that Simon had DCIS in his hip. Weird, huh? I was trying to figure out how this was possible. Very confusing. Anxiety is never really far away is it? Well, we learn to live with it and hopefully progress is made toward a cure every day.

I'll let you know what my doc. says about the new drug and anything else that might be interesting.

Hope you're well!

Mimi
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    mimivac said:

I love those survivor stories
    Thanks Moopy. Those always make me feel good. You know last night I had a dream that Simon had DCIS in his hip. Weird, huh? I was trying to figure out how this was possible. Very confusing. Anxiety is never really far away is it? Well, we learn to live with it and hopefully progress is made toward a cure every day.

I'll let you know what my doc. says about the new drug and anything else that might be interesting.

Hope you're well!

Mimi

Anxiety Story
    For an insurance appeal, I got part of my records, including my local onc.'s notes. After my very first appt with him--the one where he handed me a bar chart and reeled off the odds of survival per treatment--he wrote "patient appears very anxious." I thought that was downright hilarious.

Wishing you pleasant dreams tonight, Mimi, with no visiting beasts or bears! You can use your analytical mind during waking hours, what do you say?