Transplant - If I could JUST find ONE PERSON IN MY PREDICAMENT ON THIS SITE IT WOULD BE A MIRACLE...

Options
2»

Comments

• mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    You've had a tough road, haven't you?
    And yet you're still here, ranting and raving! I think that's a great sign of how strong and capable you are. No sympathy here -- just lending an ear and understanding. As you see from the responses, many of us have had concurrent issues with breast cancer. It would be nice if they could all wait their turn and come one by one, wouldn't it? But challenges often come all at once, I guess. Keep posting, Tracy.

Mimi
  • mimivac
    Options
    matsu said:

Kidney transplant
    Roseann, are you unable to donate a kidney because of your BC diagnosis? Does that mean I could not donate at any time?

Organ donation
    I do think you can donate organs after 5 years of being cancer-free. That is the threshold for being "cured."
  • mimivac
    Options
    KathiM said:

Rant away!
    My story is different, but still is ENOUGH! And, BTW, yes, don't you just cringe when someone says 'God won't give you more than you can handle'? I usually just smile and say...'Why didn't he just send me an e-mail instead?'

(The weak turn away, the squimish close their eyes!)

HIS turn

Nov 2003, my life partner dx'ed with permanent heart damage caused by sleep apnea (yes, Virginia, I mentioned that he stopped breathing at night...)
    Dec 2003-Mayo Clinic for said heart trouble...tx was a drug that ruined his liver functions.
    May 2004-First cardiac ablation for said heart trouble...

MY turn (lol)
    Nov 2004, dx'ed with stage III rectal cancer. Chemo, rads, surgery...I was told I had 6 months to live...lol...I didn't listen. BUT No colostomy (I had a new pouch made, all internal)
    Dec 2004 beau's dad died in Holland. Nice, caring onc said "Well, if you go to help your mom, you may come back to another funeral"
    Aug 2005, dx'ed stage II unrelated breast cancer in an 11 year old lump that was mammo'ed each year...Surgery, chemo, rads...
    Sept 2005, small bowel obstruction-lost 3 inches of it.
    July 2006 finished last treatment for cancer...YEA!
    Oct 2006, beau has second ablation...
    Dec 2006 my ex-hubby died suddenly, with no one but my daughters as heirs...they are both special needs, so I was the executor...
    Jan 2007 3 weeks after my ex-hubby, my emotionally disturbed younger daughter was left alone to die in a room in a lockdown facility...
    Nov 2007 lawsuit begins for daughter...

Much, much more, including my beau being overdosed in the hospital this spring, dying for 3 minutes (their words), and ending up with residual brain damage...

All THAT said....

I'm alive, I'm able to feel the breeze on my cheeks (a big thing for me during my hospital stays...lol) I've got a beautiful daughter, a loving beau, a whole slew of friends, both online and off...

I guess it comes to "It is what it is"....my secret was to never give up, always think that I could live another day...

No sympathy needed here, either...just a hug now and again when life overwhelms!

Hugs, Kathi

Kathi, your story is amazing
    And I have always been inspired by you and your attitude, from the first day I started posting here. To go through so much and still be appreciative of small moments in life is what I strive for. Sometimes one is afraid to feel joy in the face of a possible recurrence. But your example shines through and teaches that this is life, not just the good parts, or after the storm has passed, but the sad parts, too. Every day we are living.

Mimi
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Options
    roseann4 said:

My son is waiting for a transplant and I was diagnosed with BC..
    Hi Tracy,

My breast cancer was discovered during my screening to donate my kidney to my son who like you had diabetes since childhood. He was 10. Unfortunately, I was the only family member who is a match so he is on a list. Not sure if he will get a kidney/pancreas transplant or just a kidney. It will be a few years or more until he gets one because the list is very long. He is doing parateneal dialysis at home and so far, so good. He is single and is staying with me while he waits and waits and waits.

So, I'm not exactly in your position but I am dealing with breast cancer and kidney transplant issues so it's pretty darn close. You are very brave. Life is worth it!

By the way, it must be nice not to need insulin after all those years.

Roseann

Thank you all so much!
    Wow! I hadn't been on this site for a few days and just signed on now. I had figured my post was buried way down the list and was shocked to see all of the recent postings. I feel very lucky to have so much support and thank you all again.

Roseann, How old is your son now? How long has he been on dialysis? Are you near a major medical center? I was only on dialysis for 6 months. I was too much of a chicken to do parateneal dialysis so I went to the clinic 3 times a week for 3 hours each time before I got that phone call of a lifetime. I raced down to the clinic like a little child going to a fair! I, too, was told that it could take up to 5 years for my name to come to the top of that list....but it only took 6 months!!!! I know how your son feels, believe me. I hope that he gets a pancreas also, I think that is what they try to do anyway. It is very nice not taking insulin. It is a miracle. I don't feel guilty anymore when I eat sweets. lol.

I am sorry that I did not read your about me page before writing this..where are you at with your breast cancer treatment? I have had a masectomy and am awaiting chemo and radiation. I will need both.

Thanks for your input and I will keep you and your son in my prayers.
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Options
    KathiM said:

Rant away!
    My story is different, but still is ENOUGH! And, BTW, yes, don't you just cringe when someone says 'God won't give you more than you can handle'? I usually just smile and say...'Why didn't he just send me an e-mail instead?'

(The weak turn away, the squimish close their eyes!)

HIS turn

Nov 2003, my life partner dx'ed with permanent heart damage caused by sleep apnea (yes, Virginia, I mentioned that he stopped breathing at night...)
    Dec 2003-Mayo Clinic for said heart trouble...tx was a drug that ruined his liver functions.
    May 2004-First cardiac ablation for said heart trouble...

MY turn (lol)
    Nov 2004, dx'ed with stage III rectal cancer. Chemo, rads, surgery...I was told I had 6 months to live...lol...I didn't listen. BUT No colostomy (I had a new pouch made, all internal)
    Dec 2004 beau's dad died in Holland. Nice, caring onc said "Well, if you go to help your mom, you may come back to another funeral"
    Aug 2005, dx'ed stage II unrelated breast cancer in an 11 year old lump that was mammo'ed each year...Surgery, chemo, rads...
    Sept 2005, small bowel obstruction-lost 3 inches of it.
    July 2006 finished last treatment for cancer...YEA!
    Oct 2006, beau has second ablation...
    Dec 2006 my ex-hubby died suddenly, with no one but my daughters as heirs...they are both special needs, so I was the executor...
    Jan 2007 3 weeks after my ex-hubby, my emotionally disturbed younger daughter was left alone to die in a room in a lockdown facility...
    Nov 2007 lawsuit begins for daughter...

Much, much more, including my beau being overdosed in the hospital this spring, dying for 3 minutes (their words), and ending up with residual brain damage...

All THAT said....

I'm alive, I'm able to feel the breeze on my cheeks (a big thing for me during my hospital stays...lol) I've got a beautiful daughter, a loving beau, a whole slew of friends, both online and off...

I guess it comes to "It is what it is"....my secret was to never give up, always think that I could live another day...

No sympathy needed here, either...just a hug now and again when life overwhelms!

Hugs, Kathi

Kathi
    You are a trooper and yes, you get what I was saying,.."does it ever end?" My husband said that if I didn't have bad luck, I would have no luck at all.

I forgot to mention that during my masectomy 3 weeks ago they cut a nerve that they were not supposed to...this really was the topper of all toppers...lol..I couldn't even have a successful masectomy..lol. So I am about 4 weeks behind the healing schedule right now because of it.

Hugs to you and yours, we will and do get through it - my husbands lastest saying has been "Let Life Flow" and I am beginning to like that saying.

Tracy
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    You have been on quite a
    You have been on quite a trip in life. I greatly admire your courage and attitude. It has served you well and has carried you over some rough waters thus far and it will continue to get you there. Keep that spirit burning! You never know what amazing thing is waiting just round the next bend. From the depths of my heart, I do not diminish in any way what you're up against with BC, but it's wonderful that you got the new kidney and pancreas, before you were dx'd with BC.

You CAN do this. And for what it's worth, I don't believe that any God sends BC or any other ailment to us. I think it's a part of just living. I also don't believe that cancer is a test of any kind, to find out what kind of character we have or how much we can take or to assess our worthiness or to send us into repentance, etc.. I believe that our resolve and our spirit determines how we handle hurdles in life. Attitude is everything. And we're certainly allowed to vent and rant whenever we need to. It's ok to be angry. It's ok to be sad. It's ok to feel cheated and to say so. It's even ok to feel sorry for ourselves and say "here we go again". Just don't get stuck in any one thing for very long. And remember this: In the midst of all the emotional slip-sliding we do when there's bad news, it's also perfectly ok to pat yourself on the back once in a while and acknowledge that no matter what, you are courageous and brave. Be patient with yourself through the emotional ups and downs. Accept that they are only a part of the journey...not the whole journey. One step at a time is how we get from here to there. And yes, you are absolutely correct...this IS the place to vent and rant and whine and then feel better!

A warm hug and I hope you'll post here often. I think you'll find this is a very good place to bring whatever you're feeling. Someone will always care and try to be helpful. Support is a wonderful thing and even though you may not find someone with precisely your medical history, on the BC board, you will not find a more warm and caring group of ladies with whom to share.

Love, light & laughter,
    Ink
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Options

Kathi
    You are a trooper and yes, you get what I was saying,.."does it ever end?" My husband said that if I didn't have bad luck, I would have no luck at all.

I forgot to mention that during my masectomy 3 weeks ago they cut a nerve that they were not supposed to...this really was the topper of all toppers...lol..I couldn't even have a successful masectomy..lol. So I am about 4 weeks behind the healing schedule right now because of it.

Hugs to you and yours, we will and do get through it - my husbands lastest saying has been "Let Life Flow" and I am beginning to like that saying.

Tracy

Always count your blessings, not your misfortunes!
    I can read all that you wrote and yet I found myself focussing on the fact that you have a loving husband by your side. Luckily, I have not had too many misfortunes in my life, but being struck with breast cancer and not having a partner by my side during this very difficult journey makes me feel very lonely at times. Don't get me wrong... I'm not taking away from your hardship nor saying that mine is worse, but we all need to focus on the positive to win this or any battle!

Times are very different today and cancer is just another bump in the road... not a dead end! "Let life flow" is a perfect saying.

Best wishes... Marlene