Just getting started

Options
auntkimmie
auntkimmie Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I've will have my first chemo on Tuesday and I am scared out of my wits. I really don't know what to expect...it's the unknown that frightens me.

Comments

• Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    Welcome, Aunt Kimmie. I
    Welcome, Aunt Kimmie. I have not had chemo, but many members have, so I am sure that they can answer any questions. Keep us posted on how everything goes wih you.

Hugs & prayers...
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Hi Auntkimmie
    Had my first chemo last Tuesday, so I understand completely. I was more fearful of chemo than the cancer. God sent me an angel that first visit. A woman getting her chemo, looked beautiful, was drinking coffee, laughing, and talking to the gal next to her who was also getting chemo. They were so nonchalant-- my nurse told me that the more uptight I was the harder it would be. I prayed all the way to that first visit, and decided I would mirror the behavior of those 2 women, at which point I relaxed and went with the flow. My angel Mary has terminal cancer, does chemo weekly, and had the best attitude one could ever want. Hang in there auntkimmie,say your prayers if you pray, or do or think about the things that work for your peace of mind. My oncologist said ,"this is strong chemo and yu will be fine, hundreds of people have been thru it and they are fine". I approached my first chemo like I aproached the birth of my first baby, I thought I would die delivering that beautiful miracle, and the next thought that came to mind was women have babies all over the world every minute, if they can do it so can I/you. Wish I wasnt so wordy, but want you to know that the support on these boards is unbelievable. I got thru my first week, spending any up time reading and writing on these boards. I'll say a prayer for you. Hang in there! You are not alone. :)
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Options
    Hi Auntkimmie I have had
    3 chemo treatments thus far and I too was scared the first time. I can tell you that it was not nearly as bad as I thought. All the nurses and others in the room were wonderful and my reaction to it was not so bad either. I lost my Mom to lung cancer 22 months ago and went with her to her treatments and the worst part was looking at the chair she always sat in, by my third treatment, I was picking that chair and I just knew she was at my side. You will get through this, it's a stepping stone to your full recovery, hang in there and keep us posted.
    Hugs and prayers,
    Kari
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Aunt Kimmie. I've
    Welcome, Aunt Kimmie. I've had 3 treatments and the worst part was the "fear of the unknown" on the first one. It's not like you see in the movies with people getting sick and all. It's totally different nowadays. People actually sit around and talk and some even have their lunch during the infusions. Just take some reading material or headset and plan on being there for several hours. This depends on your "chemo cocktail" of course. It's really not bad so don't worry. Just look at it as the means to an end. Best of luck!
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Just take one step at a time
    Just take one step at a time and before you know it the treatment will be done. Then the next one will be done and the next and before you know it, you're finished. Then someday you will try to remember something about it to tell and can't remember much. So things you want to remember be sure to write them down. I had chemo in 2003/2004.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Scared........
    I was also scared senseless as I think most are....it's always the fear of the unknown. I am finished my chemo, thankfully and having radiation now. I have to say, for me, it wasn't as bad as I thought, not at all.....it's no day at the beach but it's nothing like it was years ago. I never had the first wave of nausea...... I would suggest, take all the prescribed medications that your oncologist had prescribed, look around you, as someone already said and take your cue from those who are receiving their chemo the same time as you. I had imagined everyone throwing up......never happened to anyone .....There will be side effects, that's a given, but they too are manageable, not always pleasant, but manageable.....drink TONS of water, during and after each infusion...Your taste buds will be affected, try and find something that taste good to you....but eat. I was even served lunch during all my chemo infusions.
    IT's senseless to say "don't be scared" because we all were at first....
    I wish you well.
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    Options
    MAJW said:

Scared........
    I was also scared senseless as I think most are....it's always the fear of the unknown. I am finished my chemo, thankfully and having radiation now. I have to say, for me, it wasn't as bad as I thought, not at all.....it's no day at the beach but it's nothing like it was years ago. I never had the first wave of nausea...... I would suggest, take all the prescribed medications that your oncologist had prescribed, look around you, as someone already said and take your cue from those who are receiving their chemo the same time as you. I had imagined everyone throwing up......never happened to anyone .....There will be side effects, that's a given, but they too are manageable, not always pleasant, but manageable.....drink TONS of water, during and after each infusion...Your taste buds will be affected, try and find something that taste good to you....but eat. I was even served lunch during all my chemo infusions.
    IT's senseless to say "don't be scared" because we all were at first....
    I wish you well.

I had my first chemo(A/C) on
    I had my first chemo(A/C) on Sept 16th, it wasnt too bad. I have a port so they draw blood prior to each treatment and also every week. The day after I get a Neulasta shot to help build up white blood cells, I had some aches in my low back and hips from the shot. I also take Emend on days 2 & 3 for nausea. Drink, drink plenty of fluids to help flush your body and to help prevent constipation from chemo. Take walks daily to help with fatigue. My hair began to fall out 2 weeks after my first treatment. I had my second chemo 10/7, still wasnt too bad except pains from Neulasta were much worse this time, but lasted for 2 days, Its hard trying to figure out what to eat, I had a real problem with smells, everything stunk. Foods that I used to love before chemo I cant stand now. Good luck and prayers to you as you begin your treatments. Keep us posted.
    Deb
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    Deb1969 said:

I had my first chemo(A/C) on Sept 16th, it wasnt too bad. I have a port so they draw blood prior to each treatment and also every week. The day after I get a Neulasta shot to help build up white blood cells, I had some aches in my low back and hips from the shot. I also take Emend on days 2 & 3 for nausea. Drink, drink plenty of fluids to help flush your body and to help prevent constipation from chemo. Take walks daily to help with fatigue. My hair began to fall out 2 weeks after my first treatment. I had my second chemo 10/7, still wasnt too bad except pains from Neulasta were much worse this time, but lasted for 2 days, Its hard trying to figure out what to eat, I had a real problem with smells, everything stunk. Foods that I used to love before chemo I cant stand now. Good luck and prayers to you as you begin your treatments. Keep us posted.
    Deb

Aunt Kim
    I went through chemo last year..........I barely remember the details, It just was NOWHERE as bad as i expected. Deb is right, drink LOTS of fluids (my choice was beer LOL) You will be fine Hun, I wish I had discovered this site and these wonderful folks whilst I was in treatment, never mind, I found them eventually (And in time)
    Hugs to you Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    I was terrified for my first
    I was terrified for my first chemo, but when I got there, everyone was so non-chalant about it. I did not have any problems. They will probably give you benadryl, so it may make you sleepy. You may meet someone to chat with, or read a book and magazines. Please, don't be scared. Sometimes, I feel like the fear is worse than actually having cancer. Good Luck.
  • HillBillyNana
    HillBillyNana Member Posts: 107
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

Just take one step at a time
    Just take one step at a time and before you know it the treatment will be done. Then the next one will be done and the next and before you know it, you're finished. Then someday you will try to remember something about it to tell and can't remember much. So things you want to remember be sure to write them down. I had chemo in 2003/2004.

Smart advice
    Listen to marcia. Keep a journal. I also had chemo in 2003 - 2004 but cannot remember many of the details of how I felt. It will pass and you will feel better and stronger every day. Keep a journal.
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    First chemo.
    Good luck to you.I had my first one 3wks. ago tues.I will be getting my next one Weds.Like you I was scared,and dreaded it.My daughter went with me and that made the time go faster.The next one I am dreading but not as bad as the first one.I am thinking it may be easier after the first one.I will say a prayer for you.Take care.(Pat).
  • matsu
    matsu Member Posts: 7
    Options
    natly15 said:

Hi Auntkimmie
    Had my first chemo last Tuesday, so I understand completely. I was more fearful of chemo than the cancer. God sent me an angel that first visit. A woman getting her chemo, looked beautiful, was drinking coffee, laughing, and talking to the gal next to her who was also getting chemo. They were so nonchalant-- my nurse told me that the more uptight I was the harder it would be. I prayed all the way to that first visit, and decided I would mirror the behavior of those 2 women, at which point I relaxed and went with the flow. My angel Mary has terminal cancer, does chemo weekly, and had the best attitude one could ever want. Hang in there auntkimmie,say your prayers if you pray, or do or think about the things that work for your peace of mind. My oncologist said ,"this is strong chemo and yu will be fine, hundreds of people have been thru it and they are fine". I approached my first chemo like I aproached the birth of my first baby, I thought I would die delivering that beautiful miracle, and the next thought that came to mind was women have babies all over the world every minute, if they can do it so can I/you. Wish I wasnt so wordy, but want you to know that the support on these boards is unbelievable. I got thru my first week, spending any up time reading and writing on these boards. I'll say a prayer for you. Hang in there! You are not alone. :)

Square Rigger?
    Natly15...are you perhaps from Costa Mesa, California?
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    ppurdin said:

First chemo.
    Good luck to you.I had my first one 3wks. ago tues.I will be getting my next one Weds.Like you I was scared,and dreaded it.My daughter went with me and that made the time go faster.The next one I am dreading but not as bad as the first one.I am thinking it may be easier after the first one.I will say a prayer for you.Take care.(Pat).

The word or term "CHEMO" is much scarier than the
    actual drip. However, the side efforts may wear you down. Some of our Chemo women do not suffer many side efforts, while others suffer a great deal. I feel my side efforts are compounded by the fact that I am on a 18 week regiment .. TCH, Herception & Herception = 1 treatment or 1 cycle. I do not get a break from chemo. It's been said and written that Herception doesn't have any side efforts -- my response, bull crap. The only side effort not associated with herception is - hair loss, otherwise - side efforts are present.

My TCH treatment cocktail is a 5 1/2 drip .. take a good freind, sister or hubby. Take a favorite blanket, socks, books, trash magazines anything that will entertain you. IPOD, games .. I myself normally read and sleep - I am being treated at St Joseph's Hospital where I have a private room - TV, lounge area and all. When I get bored, I take my IV pole and walk the area - stopping to talk to other patients. Some patients want to talk, while other just want to rest. My onc office serves drinks, sandwiches and snacks during my chemo treatments. Normally, my onc PA walks into my room each and every treatment to check me out, push on my bones - listen to my chest. After chemo, I see my onc each and every week - general discussion about my side efforts and treatments.

There is no doubt that I am getting the best possible treatment, but I was short changed on chemo side efforts .. Something I personally must get over, so I can finish the next 14 weeks of chemo without too much anger.

VickiSam
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    matsu said:

Square Rigger?

Not from Cost mesa
    Live in Florida, originally from Ohio.
  • auntkimmie
    auntkimmie Member Posts: 2
    Options
    matsu said:

Square Rigger?

no, I am from Missouri. I
    no, I am from Missouri. I will have chemo at the Cancer and Breast Institute in St. Louis.
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    Options
    Welcome!
    Aunt Kimmie,
    As everyone says it's not as bad as you think! And it wouldn't be normal if you weren't a little afraid! It'll be OK. Just take it a day at a time and before you know it, you'll be almost done! Take care and let us know how you are doing - this is a wonderful place to come for support and caring and sharing and alot of love.
    -Jenny
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Options
    I KNOW
    Hi Kimmie, I am DIRECTLY behind you! I have my appt TOMORROW with the Oncologist and Radiologist (I need BOTH) and I will find out tomorrow when I will be starting Chemo. (which is first) I am SUPER scared also! I am one step behind you girl!!!!!!!!!!!
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Options
    Deb1969 said:

Deb

Wow! Deb!
    You sound like the person to talk to...I am in the same predicament and I feel TOTALLY FINE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!! Did anyone else feel totally normal before Chemo??? OMG! Do I really need this? I feel TOTALLY NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!