problems after reconnection

farmgal
farmgal Member Posts: 22
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I just joined last week and have already found information from all very helpful. But I have a new question: my husband wipes blood when he goes to pass bowel movements-is this normal, it does not happen all the time and the blood is not deep red.

Comments

• Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    when was the
    when was the reconnection?
    generally if recent, some blood or mucus blood is normal. Especially if the stool is firm or firmer. I remember my surgeon giving me instructions to stay away from bulk food, and to be kind to my colon as it does take time to heal.
  • farmgal
    Patteee said:

when was the
    when was the reconnection?
    generally if recent, some blood or mucus blood is normal. Especially if the stool is firm or firmer. I remember my surgeon giving me instructions to stay away from bulk food, and to be kind to my colon as it does take time to heal.

surgery-September 2008 illestomy October 2008 reversal April 2009 Stools are very loose or runny. First it will be light pink in the mucus, then it normally turns to dark pink-light red. Patteee-How long did it take you. They used staples when they reconnected-is this normal?
  • Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    farmgal said:

surgery-September 2008 illestomy October 2008 reversal April 2009 Stools are very loose or runny. First it will be light pink in the mucus, then it normally turns to dark pink-light red. Patteee-How long did it take you. They used staples when they reconnected-is this normal?

no mine did not take that
    no mine did not take that long- not sure if I had staples. Last time he saw the doc? See, I think some is normal, but I would think after 6 months this area should be healed? Don't ya think?
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Blood in stool
    Hello farmgal! I had my reversal on May 1st of this year, and it has definitely been a rough road. I started noticing blood in my stool about a month later, and i'm pretty sure i have a recurrence. I was symptomatic years before my diagnosis, and things are much the same as they were back then. Has your husband had any follow-up colonscopies since resection surgery? Any blood is a concern, especially with our histories. My bleeding is also sporadic, but it was in the beginning too. He should schedule a colonoscopy, and if the doctors protest, remind them that this cancer has a very high recurrence, and most happen about two years after diagnosis. If they have a better explanation for the blood, i would still insist on a scope.

I wish you luck with it! Please keep us posted on his progress!

Hugs,
    Krista
  • farmgal

Blood in stool
    Hello farmgal! I had my reversal on May 1st of this year, and it has definitely been a rough road. I started noticing blood in my stool about a month later, and i'm pretty sure i have a recurrence. I was symptomatic years before my diagnosis, and things are much the same as they were back then. Has your husband had any follow-up colonscopies since resection surgery? Any blood is a concern, especially with our histories. My bleeding is also sporadic, but it was in the beginning too. He should schedule a colonoscopy, and if the doctors protest, remind them that this cancer has a very high recurrence, and most happen about two years after diagnosis. If they have a better explanation for the blood, i would still insist on a scope.

I wish you luck with it! Please keep us posted on his progress!

Hugs,
    Krista

Krista-he had scope by GI doctor who said things looked great. Surgeon and his cancer doctor ordered ct scan but we have been fighting insurance company for precert on ct scan-they finally approved last week and we will be going for one in two weeks. They would not approved because his scope and blood work were good. But I agree with you - blood is not a good sign.