New to this. Need direction

always
always Member Posts: 256
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
New to this and don't know where to start. I have a port being put in on Monday. Chemo coming up, but don't know what medications will be used yet. Looking for direction?

Comments

• Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    Hello
    Welcome...but know you dont want to be here. Im sorry you are going thru this but this website is great. Women on here are very supportive and know a lot. Port is a piece of cake...dont worry about that part. It will make things so much easier for you because chemo is so hard on the veins. Once you find out when your chemo starts, your doc should go over some possible side effects, etc. I recommend drinking lots of water few days prior to first treatment and make sure you continue this afterwards. This will flush your system and get the meds out quicker.
    Stay strong girl...you can do this! I know a positive mind is hard to have right now but I think its important to keep spirits up.
    You know what stage, type of BC you have?
  • always
    Sam726 said:

Hello
    Welcome...but know you dont want to be here. Im sorry you are going thru this but this website is great. Women on here are very supportive and know a lot. Port is a piece of cake...dont worry about that part. It will make things so much easier for you because chemo is so hard on the veins. Once you find out when your chemo starts, your doc should go over some possible side effects, etc. I recommend drinking lots of water few days prior to first treatment and make sure you continue this afterwards. This will flush your system and get the meds out quicker.
    Stay strong girl...you can do this! I know a positive mind is hard to have right now but I think its important to keep spirits up.
    You know what stage, type of BC you have?

thanks for the quick response
    Invasive Ductal. Oncologist is not willing to completely commit on staging until he sees a few more test results but it seems to be stage 2a if nothing changes. I had lumpectomy two weeks ago today. Negative on sentinel node- so no lumph glands removed. I know I it could be much worse. I am staying positive most of the time and am tired but still plugging along. Tomorrow muga scan, Monday port
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    always said:

thanks for the quick response
    Invasive Ductal. Oncologist is not willing to completely commit on staging until he sees a few more test results but it seems to be stage 2a if nothing changes. I had lumpectomy two weeks ago today. Negative on sentinel node- so no lumph glands removed. I know I it could be much worse. I am staying positive most of the time and am tired but still plugging along. Tomorrow muga scan, Monday port

Welcome!
    Sorry for what you're going through, always, but you've come to the right place for information, encouragement and support. It is really good news that there seems to be no lymph node involvement.

There's a great post below this one called "First Cycle Chemo Girls - Laurissa, Marilyn, Natly, Pitt and Pat" started by VickiSam. She gives clear, concise advice on what is coming up and what to expect during chemo. It's very helpful.

Best of luck and welcome to a great site and sisterhood that you never wanted to join. There's some awesome women on here! :)

dh
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Hi Always & Welcome
    I second that you have come to the right place for information, support, ears, shoulders, whatever you may need to help you get through this. I also have IDC. I just had my port put in almost 3 weeks ago & I was terrified. I called ACS, they sent me alot of very helpful information and I also expressed my fear here on the board & these wonderful women shared their experiences with it. By the time I had it put in, I was ready. It really isn't so bad. I asked to be put to sleep. My only complaint was itching & the glue made it somewhat sore. Find out what kind of Chemo you will be on & research it. Research all you can. It helps to be informed & know what to expect. I just started Chemo Tuesday, strange as it may sound...I was SO looking forward to beginning treatment! I now know I am taking the first steps in treating my BC. Take things "one day at a time". I know you are probably scared,we have all been there,but just know that you are not alone & come here often,if even just to read. Someone is here 24/7. It will help you in more ways than you could ever imagine!
    Prayers & Hugz,
    Cathy
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi always
    The port placement was probably the easiest thing I have gone thru since this whole ordeal started. I had conscious sedation so I was basically out of it during the placement. Your chemo will be given thru the port and your blood work can be done thru the port as well. Ask your doctor to give you a prescription for emla cream. This is a topical cream that you put over the port about 1 hour before they access it for labs or chemo. You put a glob of it on and cover it with a bandaid about 1 hour before and it numbs the area. If you find out what chemo you are getting, someone here has probably had it and can tell you what to expect. That makes it easier.

You will find that this site is a great place to vent, ask questions and make friends. The women here are really caring and knowledgeable, not to mention just plain funny. I dont think I could have asked for better support.

Hang in there and keep us posted

Hugs
    Linda T
  • always
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi always
    The port placement was probably the easiest thing I have gone thru since this whole ordeal started. I had conscious sedation so I was basically out of it during the placement. Your chemo will be given thru the port and your blood work can be done thru the port as well. Ask your doctor to give you a prescription for emla cream. This is a topical cream that you put over the port about 1 hour before they access it for labs or chemo. You put a glob of it on and cover it with a bandaid about 1 hour before and it numbs the area. If you find out what chemo you are getting, someone here has probably had it and can tell you what to expect. That makes it easier.

You will find that this site is a great place to vent, ask questions and make friends. The women here are really caring and knowledgeable, not to mention just plain funny. I dont think I could have asked for better support.

Hang in there and keep us posted

Hugs
    Linda T

thanks for the info
    Thanks for all the encouragement and info. I will be certain to ask about the elma cream. I have been reading some of the boards to get a handle on whats to come. I know that noone wants to be here...but you are all so awesome to share with one another and offer hope and faith for the circumstances while each of you is going through the same. I feel honored in the strangest way to see the compassion here.

thanks to everyone.

always
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    always said:

thanks for the info
    Thanks for all the encouragement and info. I will be certain to ask about the elma cream. I have been reading some of the boards to get a handle on whats to come. I know that noone wants to be here...but you are all so awesome to share with one another and offer hope and faith for the circumstances while each of you is going through the same. I feel honored in the strangest way to see the compassion here.

thanks to everyone.

always

You will definitely learn a
    You will definitely learn a lot from this post, I was too scared of this post when i was first diagnosed. I was diagnosed last July with Inflammatory Breast Cancer, now i am a year survivor. I still have to go for treatments and labs every month but i do consider myself lucky. I just hope that I can help others go through what i went through and let them know that there is Hope. I had chemo, a masectomy and radiation. I all seems so surreal to me now. Take care..
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Welcome, Always!
    Just wanted to welcome you to this amazing group. We'll be here to help you, just like we help each other, get through our treatments. It's all very doable.