How I'm Dealing with Hair Loss

pitt
pitt Member Posts: 387
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I posted this idea a few days ago and received such an overwhelming show of support from you all that I finally did it! I had been told (by men) that my idea was in bad taste. Really, I just think men can't handle the things that we women face. So here's what I've done...

I emailed a calendar of the next two weeks (starting with this weekend) to just a few of my close GIRLfriends. THis is the creation of a betting pool. Some days cost more than others, especially if they fall in that 12-16 days post-chemo range. Everyone can buy only one square. They are betting on which day I have at least two clumps of hair fall out and therefore shave my head. The pot? We are raising $400. $200 goes to one of my girlfriends; $200 goes to Susan G. Komen.

The result? On the day that I lose my hair, I will get to focus on the idea that one of my friends just won $200. That brings me joy. I had to turn this into something I could laugh about. (If you knew how extremely competitive these girls are over which day they get, you would understand why I find this so hilarious.)

I'm not happy about having to lose my hair. I have to remind my two young children that this means the medicine is doing its job. But the only way I can feel okay with this is to have a reason to celebrate someone else.

We all have our problems. We all have our joys. I can't change where I am right now. I found the right doctors for me and trust in the treatment plan we have created. All I can focus on is making sure I come out of this with my personality in tact. This is my attempt to do just that.

Be strong. Be safe. And live!

Hugs, Pitt

Comments

• cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    What a wonderful idea!
    You have such a great attitude, I certainly hope I can maintain something like that as I go down my path. I'm just going in for surgery on Monday, and know I'll need radiation, but chemo is still a question mark for me right now.
    I decided to cut my hair short on Saturday, though. I've been needing a trim anyway, and the way my shoulder-length hair is right now takes a lot of work to look good, and I just don't want to be bothered with it. I figure that if I do lose my hair evetually, it will be less of a shock to go from short to no hair than from long hair.
    I have gotten so much inspiration as well as very useful information from all of you on the boards!

Thanks!
  • tigger99
    tigger99 Member Posts: 44
    How awesome are you?!?
    Pitt,

This is my first post here; have just been reading and absorbing all the great advice until now. Your post really touched me. What a fantastic idea and what an incredible person you are!

Hooray for you! This is incredible and awesome. What a creative way to turn it all around and make hair-loss-day a positive thing. I am so very proud of you and inspired by you.

hugs,
    tigger99
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I LOVE it!! Making a
    I LOVE it!! Making a positive out of a negative. Way to go!!
  • MGNS
    MGNS Member Posts: 197 Member

What a wonderful idea!
    You have such a great attitude, I certainly hope I can maintain something like that as I go down my path. I'm just going in for surgery on Monday, and know I'll need radiation, but chemo is still a question mark for me right now.
    I decided to cut my hair short on Saturday, though. I've been needing a trim anyway, and the way my shoulder-length hair is right now takes a lot of work to look good, and I just don't want to be bothered with it. I figure that if I do lose my hair evetually, it will be less of a shock to go from short to no hair than from long hair.
    I have gotten so much inspiration as well as very useful information from all of you on the boards!

Thanks!

Me too!
    I will have my surgery this Fri. and like you will have radiation, but not sure if I will have to have chemo. I've been trying to prepare myself mentally and decided to go ahead and buy a nice wig. Well I love it and am wearing it around the house to get used to it. I've just decided that I'm going to turn a negative situation into a positive and fight this with all that I can. I truely believe that a positive attitude and faith is our biggest weapon in this battle.
    I love hearing all the positive ideas from everyone. We are in this together!
    MGNS
  • MGNS
    Great idea and great spirit!
    What a great idea and I admire your fighting spirit. It gives me inspiration as I begin my treatments after surgery this Fri.
    Keep positive thoughts and my prayers are with you! And hug your kids every chance you get!
    MGNS
  • MGNS
    Great support group!
    What a great support group your friends are! And a very creative way to face the chemo battle!
    Good luck!
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    MGNS said:

Great support group!
    What a great support group your friends are! And a very creative way to face the chemo battle!
    Good luck!

Love your additude PITT
    You are a strong woman....I admire you. I too have taken this bull by the horns and made the best of it. I think this is the only way I can deal with this. As for those who think you have "bad taste"...have them walk in your shoes one day. Keep on girl....you rock!
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    tigger99 said:

How awesome are you?!?
    Pitt,

This is my first post here; have just been reading and absorbing all the great advice until now. Your post really touched me. What a fantastic idea and what an incredible person you are!

Hooray for you! This is incredible and awesome. What a creative way to turn it all around and make hair-loss-day a positive thing. I am so very proud of you and inspired by you.

hugs,
    tigger99

Welcome to the site Tigger.
    Welcome to the site Tigger. I'm sorry for the reason you are here but glad that you found some humor in this. Keep posting too! The advice from everyone on this site is extremely helpful. Good luck!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Sam726 said:

Love your additude PITT
    You are a strong woman....I admire you. I too have taken this bull by the horns and made the best of it. I think this is the only way I can deal with this. As for those who think you have "bad taste"...have them walk in your shoes one day. Keep on girl....you rock!

Pitt -- Great Idea .. Boo Hoo to anyone that has a problem
    with this .. You go Girl, and don't look back.

Admiration for you -!!!

VickiSam
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    VickiSam said:

Pitt -- Great Idea .. Boo Hoo to anyone that has a problem
    with this .. You go Girl, and don't look back.

Admiration for you -!!!

VickiSam

Liz, you are an inspiration
    Liz, you are an inspiration to all of us! I love your idea!

Sue :)
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    MGNS said:

Me too!
    I will have my surgery this Fri. and like you will have radiation, but not sure if I will have to have chemo. I've been trying to prepare myself mentally and decided to go ahead and buy a nice wig. Well I love it and am wearing it around the house to get used to it. I've just decided that I'm going to turn a negative situation into a positive and fight this with all that I can. I truely believe that a positive attitude and faith is our biggest weapon in this battle.
    I love hearing all the positive ideas from everyone. We are in this together!
    MGNS

Hi MGNS and welcome to the
    Hi MGNS and welcome to the site. I want to wish you good luck this Friday with your surgery!

Leeza
  • JmG86
    JmG86 Member Posts: 53
    You are amazing!
    That just cracks me up. I think my girlfriends would have decided I had finally lost my mind. I love it. What a great way to fight back against the sorrow of losing your hair - by winning and poking fun! And the donation is wonderful too. Good luck, and a big hug back!